Ham repeater frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

SSdudley2020

Premium Subscriber
I am new at this so be kind. I would like to know a resource to go too to find ham radio repeater frequencies in my area. Also, I have a SDS 100 and would like to know how
program these frequencies to my scanner.

TexTAC

Go to repeaterbook.com and do a search by your county or city. Program the output channel (downlink channel) into your scanner as a conventional channel.

TexTAC

The SDS100 also has a search function which lets you scan a range of frequencies. You can add these search bands as part of your regular scanning lists (search with scan). Ham radio uses several bands, but the most popular (and the ones you can hear skywarn weather spotters on during storms) are:

2 meter band : 144 to 148 MHz

70 cm band : 420 to 450 MHz

That way you don’t need to know the repeater frequencies cause it will scan all of them including simplex.

AB5ID

Android:
Apple:

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
First of all there is no complete listings of ham radio repeaters to be found. Example: the RR database does not list ANY repeaters for my county. Even the ARRL repeater book is deficient. Also, it will list repeaters with the helpful information "covers area."

Some repeaters are privately owned and are not open to anyone but members. They are often not listed.

Using search features on scanners is problematical because some repeaters have very little traffic.

The best way to find repeaters is to locate the web sites of local clubs. They will list all their repeaters, their locations and CTCSS codes. For scanning you probably don't need the input frequencies. Some repeaters encode PL, but not all. Private repeaters will not be listed since they are not operated by the club.

Check the band plans. They will list the segments allocated to repeater outputs or simplex operation. Saves time when searching. Example, the 70cm band has no repeaters in the 420 to 440 MHz portion of the band.

Scanners will not receive some digital modes like Fusion and D-star. P25 is not used very often for amateur repeaters.

Channel spacing is usually 25KHz so you can speed up searches by selecting that interval.

Consider this: a friend got permission to use a private 1.2GHz repeater. It is so rarely used that he went weeks before he heard anyone else.

WB9YBM

The American Radio Relay League (ARRL) also published a hardcopy frequency directory; more info on their web site...

WB9YBM

First of all there is no complete listings of ham radio repeaters to be found. Example: the RR database does not list ANY repeaters for my county. Even the ARRL repeater book is deficient.

The ARRL gets their information from repeater coordinators. Some (at least in the Chicago area) are "paper repeaters"--people that want a repeater frequency for bragging rights without putting one on the air, and of course there are the rogue ops who put up a repeater without getting official coordination.

The best repeater lists I've seen are put together by coordinators (or their assistants) who keep track of actual repeaters on the air plus neighboring area repeaters that can be heard during band openings (that was done most extensively around here on the 220MHz band) but this doesn't happen often (or is not advertised)...

n5ims

What I generally find works best for me is to search for ham clubs in the area of interest after a search for repeaters fails me. The club pages often include a list of repeaters and/or a list of other clubs in the area that help provide additional leads to follow.

I agree that many lists are outdated as soon as they're published. Those that are active shut down (or move) and others go on the air. The PL may change as well as they type of repeater (one listed as analog may change to DMR or Fusion for example). Start out simply doing a band scan with NO PL set so you can hear whatever is on a frequency. Write down what hits you have and what you may know about they (frequency is easy, since most quality radios can do a scan on an active frequency for the PL, that is pretty easy as well). Monitor the located frequencies to collect information about that channel. The folks talking can provide clues to that frequency ("I'm at the Home Depot off Hwy 75 in Allen") that will help you identify them (their call signs can be searched on QRZ.COM with most addresses being listed). If you know code (or can copy the dots/dashes down quickly and accurately) the repeater's ID will be easy to discover (and many have a voice ID that makes it really easy) and you can use that to search for the repeater's information. Be aware of the bandplan to help identify if the frequency is simplex or a repeater pair.

nd5y

Check the band plan. ATV repeaters yes. Voice repeaters not so much. But, it is only a band "plan."
There are two voice repeaters on 423 & 424 MHz in the DFW area. They aren't ATV repeaters.
The frequency coordinator in Texas doesn't always follow the ARRL band plan. They use their own but on 70 cm it only covers 440-450 MHz.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
So you are going to do this on the radio itself, the next time you hook up to Sentinel you will transfer data from your radio to your profile first thing to save any changes you made on the radio itself.

Press menu, go to search for, pick custom search, set lower frequency to 144.0, set upper frequency to 148.00... and have fun. If you stop on something you like then hold it, then press
E to save it to Quick frequency save or pass that and enter it to an existing favorites list.

Remember any changes you make right on the radio which I kind of prefer on the Run impulsively have to be transferred to your profile first thing after you hook up to Sentinel. Before you do anything else transfer the data card to your profile. Display changes, avoids, filters, whatever... must be transferred to your profile or you will lose it when you are done with Sentinel and transfer data from Sentinel back to your card.... Bob.

CanesFan95

Analog already is interoperable.
What kind of antenna do you have? If you're using the included rubber duck, your receive will be limited. So anything you can do for a better antenna will help. Otherwise, you could be wondering why you're not hearing or barely hearing stuff you find on lists online. Finding frequencies is a combination of websites and just searching with the scanner itself. Set your search to 144 - 148 and 440 - 450 (there's rarely any repeaters from 420 - 440). A lot of lists you find online will have some inaccurate stuff.

n5ims

What kind of antenna do you have? If you're using the included rubber duck, your receive will be limited. So anything you can do for a better antenna will help. Otherwise, you could be wondering why you're not hearing or barely hearing stuff you find on lists online. Finding frequencies is a combination of websites and just searching with the scanner itself. Set your search to 144 - 148 and 440 - 450 (there's rarely any repeaters from 420 - 440). A lot of lists you find online will have some inaccurate stuff.

And don't forget that the upper 5 MHz of the 440 - 450 range is for repeater inputs so there's little need to scan that portion as well since anything in that range should show up and be stronger on the lower 5 MHz portion which is the repeater outputs.

ecps92

Not every area uses +5, there are many areas where both +5 and -5 are used that band

Examples here in New England where both are used

And don't forget that the upper 5 MHz of the 440 - 450 range is for repeater inputs so there's little need to scan that portion as well since anything in that range should show up and be stronger on the lower 5 MHz portion which is the repeater outputs.

littona

Super Freq
Premium Subscriber
I've been on the military and commercial side of radio for over 30 years and just recently became a ham. I understand it, but it hurts my head that ham repeaters aren't licensed. I'm so used to going to the FCC to find repeater information.

ecps92

Not any different than what GMRS does now... Neighborly Coordination
I've been on the military and commercial side of radio for over 30 years and just recently became a ham. I understand it, but it hurts my head that ham repeaters aren't licensed. I'm so used to going to the FCC to find repeater information.

WB9YBM

it hurts my head that ham repeaters aren't licensed.

Well, individually licensed, no--not for several years now. But repeater transmissions must still be identified by the repeater itself; today it's just in the form of sending the callsign of the trustee. I guess this was done to cut down on the amount of paperwork the FCC needed/wants to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.