Hamtramck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abulafia

Whoever wrote that article doesn't understand the difference between digital and encrypted: "But industry experts say sooner or later a scanner will become available to crack the digital code." WTF???

You are correct sir. Charles Sercombe is well known for getting about everything wrong.

gpp10x

Premium Subscriber
I'd like to know why they encrypted the fire dept. Was it just a decision that as long as they were going to encrypt pd might as well do the same to fd.

Abulafia

Lt. Max Garbarino, communications man at the PD has suggested it's to prevent criminals from using scanners, endangering their men. Why they would encrypt the FD is beyond me. I guess it's none of our business if there's a fire in our neighborhood, or another at Sterling Oil.

gpp10x

Premium Subscriber
The only thing I can think of is if they were giving patient information over the radio to their dispatch. I don't recall if they did that on their old vhf radios.

freqs

the only thing I heard them say on the old radios was their vital signs and age but no names over the radio ..I would think now on MPSCS they would have Hosp talk groups unlike before they would call FD Dispatch and then they would relay info to Hosp.

freqs

Lt. Max Garbarino, communications man at the PD has suggested it's to prevent criminals from using scanners, endangering their men. Why they would encrypt the FD is beyond me. I guess it's none of our business if there's a fire in our neighborhood, or another at Sterling Oil.
That is old school cop thinking in my opinion I know my Uncle was a Sterling Hgts Officer about 10 years ago he hated scanners and it was the idea all scanner users were up to no good .After time he would ask me did you hear this or that .I dont think many criminals are not gonna mess with scanners ? But the lack of being able to monitor police will not stop them from doing crime .

Status
Not open for further replies.