Handheld scanners

Status
Not open for further replies.

menace3397

Hello everyone, i recently found this forum. I don't spend too much time online so i will get to the point.
I'm looking for an ideal yet inexpensive hand held scanner. I have played around with the AOR AR8200 which is a great scanner but its quite expensive when bought new and even on eBay it goes for well over $500 at times.

I'm looking for suggestions. I would love something very similar to an AOR AR8200. Something where you can store frequencies, search ranges, a voice inversion option, signal strength, can be connected to a computer. Like i said, a scanner that does a little of everything but at a decent price. If anyone can please reply i would appreciate it.

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
Are you interested in monitoring trunked radio systems, or conventional frequencies only? What about APCO-25 digital? The AOR scanner is a good radio, but it will not follow conversations on trunked systems. Maybe that isn't a concern for you, but it's something to consider before you purchase.

menace3397

Thank you for your reply. Yes i would like to follow conversations on trunked systems, but its not a necessity. Like i said, if there is something similar to an AOR AR 8200....i would love to know. I could be wrong, but i see the AR 8200 as a scanner that does a little of everything (except for trunking). I will look into the APCO-25.

Any other suggestions please let me know. Thanks

menace3397

hello again

Ok after looking into it a bit more, what im looking for is a handheld that has the ability to scan trucked systems, voice inversion option, has many banks that can store thousands of frequencies, search ranges, signal strength and connect to a PC. I know this might be a bit expensive.....any suggestion??

N8IAA

Ok after looking into it a bit more, what im looking for is a handheld that has the ability to scan trucked systems, voice inversion option, has many banks that can store thousands of frequencies, search ranges, signal strength and connect to a PC. I know this might be a bit expensive.....any suggestion??

You are describing a scanner all of us have been waiting for:roll: The only scanners presently being sold that you are asking about is the Uniden 396XT and the 996XT. There are no scanners on the market that have a voice inversion option. Now, some of the communitcation receivers have the ability to do what you are asking, but, they do not do trunktracking. Some claim to do voice inversion. Wouldn't know. Don't have one that does.

menace3397

hello again

Well i have played around with the AOR AR8200 and find it as one of the best handheld scanners ive seen. The only thing it lacks is trunk tracking. Aside from that, you pop in the voice inversion card and you can listen to inverted transmissions. I have bid on a few AR8200 on ebay but they are very pricey for a handheld scanner.

Im just looking for suggestions on a handheld scanner that gives you many many options. As you tell me that there isnt a scanner that does it all, id love to hear suggestions on a scanner that can come close. Or at least in my mind, something that can bear the AR82000.

Status
Not open for further replies.