Happy Dispatcher

EAFrizzle

Premium Subscriber
The UP dispatcher for Houston today seems to be having a better than average day at work.

It seems easier to get more of the dispatcher's personality on the rail lines than you can on public service. There's a guy I hear about once a month at night, definitely not happy to be there. Every once in a while someone at the PTRA gets bent out of shape at some poor engineer.

Any interesting dispatchers in your area?

Enforcer52

Feed Provider
Premium Subscriber
There is a Fire/EMS dispatcher in Walker County, TX that talks as fast as the guy in that old FedEx commercial, and you would swear from her excitement she was dispatching a quadruple murder!

I have noticed a lot of the dispatchers speak fast now days, guess they don't teach Slow, Clear, and Concise anymore when hiring them.

But then I don't think they teach it to many of the officers anymore either, they tend to talk fast also.

jmp883

Been an emergency services dispatcher for 30+ years and I have definitely noticed the trend towards faster speaking dispatchers. Faster is definitely not a mark of a good dispatcher. But I’ve worked with fast talkers who are proud of how quickly they can get a call dispatched. They seem to forget that they often have to repeat the call.