Harmon Trackstar III

Status
Not open for further replies.

w2smw

Any body know how to take the covers off a clean cab Trackstar III radio.I have taken out the screws on the fron and rear panels and I have the key for the radio, but nothing comes apart
Thanks
Steve

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Probably a bit of dirt and corrosion, use the force Luke. Tap it lightly along the seams with a hammer and pry gently with a screwdriver, I've opened a lot of old cases this way.

kb2vxa

Banned
He said he has the key so unless the locking mechanism is frozen (and they have given me fits) breaking the corrosion should do it. OOPS, what I forgot to mention is just because the key turns doesn't say the fore mentioned mechanism isn't frozen, that's where the fits came in. BTW I never said it was easy, I know a whole lot better. (;->)

w2smw

Is there anyone out who even knows what a clean cab radio is? or is this the wrong site to get real technical help? The impression I get is that most of the people on the site are appliance operators and have never really worked on a railroad radio let alone have even seen one. I hope this post gets some one to wake up and think

kb2vxa

Banned
Steve, anyone who knows how to use Google knows what a clean cab radio is. You're not looking for technical help, you're looking for someone to tell you how to take it apart. Now if you have unlocked it and STILL can't get the case open you have a problem you'll have to work out for yourself. You're the one with eyes and hands on and I for one can't tell you any more than I already have, I'm not there with you to examine it myself. Now put your mind and hands to work, don't expect us to do it all for you.

While you're at it please take note of the fact I am the ONLY one who has made any attempt to guide you and I have done all I can. (Don't mind me if I'm a little upset with your response to my offerings.) We have plenty of professionals here and if any had any other ideas I'm sure at least one would have spoken up so that leaves me to believe I have covered all the bases.

"I hope this post gets some one to wake up and think."
At the risk of getting a mod slap I urge that someone to be you.

Josh

Typically the key only locks the radio in the bracket in the engine, this is my experience with Motorola Spectra, Astro Spectra, and MCX100 versions, I believe the AAR requires a locking mechanism be included in the design (just as the 'UHF' connector, four-pin power connector, six-pin hand mic connector etc etc).

If you've taken all the visible screws out, then it should open up. the Aerotron units I used to mess with involved only a couple top-mounted screws to get inside the unit, more from there separated the head from the chassis, and the power supply from the radio portion.

The Spectra/Astro spectra have four hex screws on the bottom, this opens it all up and all main units come apart without further dismantling.

The MCX100 version requires the removal of four security torx, and about 10-15 other torx screws to get the cover off, then it's a mess to get the rest apart (and this one is from the early to mid '80s.)

The point is that all radios are different and that I've never had a problem opening it up any unit as long as I've removed as many visible screws as it looks like there are in order to take off the covers or break it apart into individual components. Now, I've never messed with a trackstar unit in particular, personally, I don't think there is much interest in general as its typically of little use (no scan, not easily programmable to the ham band, etc...) or whatever the case may be.

It should open up doing what you've done, and maybe by now you've found success. If not, then it's probably getting caught up by an internal connector, corrosion, rust, whatever that a little prying should give access, if to nothing more than to isolate where the sticking point is.

w2smw

With help of a person on another site that worked on Harmon radios, he sent me full documentation on disassembly of the radios. There are two hidden screws that are burried behind a locking plate.

Status
Not open for further replies.