• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Harris mobile programming cables

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turner101

Premium Subscriber
Hey guys I got a friend that went from a portable to a mobile, M7300, and needs a programming cable for it. I would prefer a USB cable that would work since both him and I do not have any computers with serial ports anymore. I have heard that a Serial to USB cable can work at times depending on the brand. I bought one from best buy today that I will try tomorrow with a windows 10 surface pro. If this doesnt work I need to figure out other options. I have not located a usb programming cable online that is made for this radio, all I see are serial cables. I emailed my local radio shop that does harris stuff and havent heard back yet.

suggestions?
thanks!

snoopyII

M7300's program with your garden variety 9 pin serial cable. How you connect to your PC is up to you. There is no USB programming cable for M7300. You can get a programming cable that connects to the mic connector on the CH721 if you wanna drop $120, but its still a serial connector.

Turner101

Premium Subscriber
As long as the serial to usb adapter has the ftdi chipset it should work if the software is windows 10 compatible...

The one I have uses a a prolific chipset. I will get a FTDI one and try both and report back. Thank you for the heads up!

MWW85

Premium Subscriber
Programming via the CH721 is also much slower. The Harris sold/recommend Serial/USB adapter is made by SeaLevel Systems.
This. The SeaLevel adapter just works. Other USB to serial adapters have been more miss than hit.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Concur on what the others are telling you; Harris still seems to love RS232 ports for some reason even though USB-Serial adapters can sometimes be hit or miss. Their newest portable line (XL) uses USB cables, but everything before (XG, M7100, P7100, etc) uses 9-pin serial.

Firmware updates of the XG-series radios are also hit or miss (mostly miss) when using a USB-Serial adapter; I've tried various flavors of them. I keep an older Toshiba laptop with a 9-pin serial port in the office for those times where I need to do a firmware update on an XG-series radio. I've got a Panasonic Toughbook at home which also works well.

If you have to go with a USB-Serial adapter, definitely go with the FTDI chipset.

Do yourself a favor if you have to maintain radios like this; scare up a computer with a comm port for stuff like this. Panasonic CF-30 Toughbooks are an excellent choice; I've seen decent ones on eBay for $200 or less in good condition.

DisasterGuy

Wise advice. There's a reason that we use Panasonic Toughbooks in the radio shop (currently CF-53s) due to the native serial interface. With that said, I have never had an issue loading code with a SeaLevel systems adapter. In fact, when we are doing mass code updates, we use a SeaLevel systems SeaLink+8 to drive 8 serial programming cables at once.

BigLebowski

Premium Subscriber
So if I'm understanding correctly... the Orion/M7100 serial cable will work to program the M7300/XG75M as well?

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
So if I'm understanding correctly... the Orion/M7100 serial cable will work to program the M7300/XG75M as well?

No, the Orion/M7100 use a specialty cable (DB9 on one end) that plugs into either the 37-pin accessory port on the back, or the 15-pin pigtail lead coming off the 37-pin accessory connector (an option when the radio was purchased).

The M7300/XG75M uses a standard, off-the-shelf 9-pin serial cable (DB9 female on one end, DB9 male on the other end).

BigLebowski

Premium Subscriber
No, the Orion/M7100 use a specialty cable (DB9 on one end) that plugs into either the 37-pin accessory port on the back, or the 15-pin pigtail lead coming off the 37-pin accessory connector (an option when the radio was purchased).

The M7300/XG75M uses a standard, off-the-shelf 9-pin serial cable (DB9 female on one end, DB9 male on the other end).

Thanks for the clarification.. so just a straight-through serial cable?

Status
Not open for further replies.