• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

HARRIS XG100P PROGRAMMING P25 PHASE 2 NEW YORK SUFFOLK COUNTY POLICE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seanm214

Hey would you mind if I sent you my mission plan to take a look at it. I'm no expert and I'm asking for help. I can send it to your email if you say its ok.
I’m not sure if you are familiar with Sunken Meadow State Park in Kings Park but I have noticed that the people who work there use harris radios. I have been trying to figure out what frequencies they are using but I can’t find any clear evidence as to how they are operating and/or if they are operating on the Suffolk County trunked system. I believe that the maintenance/other workers at Sunken Meadow are using Harris P7300 radios or at least something that looks very similar to that based on what I have seen. I know that nys parks police operate on Suffolk County trunked system but I’m not sure if they are using Harris radios or Motorola. I do know that the workers at Sunken Meadow are using some kind of Harris or MA/com radio. The only question is are these radios being used on the Suffolk County system? If they are than it would be a good sign that you are able to listen into the Suffolk County system with Harris radio. Just trying to find in Radio Reference Database for the Suffolk County system what talkgroup these Harris radios might be on if they are even on the Suffolk County system?!

gatekeep

FAIL 01/93
Premium Subscriber
I’m not sure if you are familiar with Sunken Meadow State Park in Kings Park but I have noticed that the people who work there use harris radios. I have been trying to figure out what frequencies they are using but I can’t find any clear evidence as to how they are operating and/or if they are operating on the Suffolk County trunked system. I believe that the maintenance/other workers at Sunken Meadow are using Harris P7300 radios or at least something that looks very similar to that based on what I have seen. I know that nys parks police operate on Suffolk County trunked system but I’m not sure if they are using Harris radios or Motorola. I do know that the workers at Sunken Meadow are using some kind of Harris or MA/com radio. The only question is are these radios being used on the Suffolk County system? If they are than it would be a good sign that you are able to listen into the Suffolk County system with Harris radio. Just trying to find in Radio Reference Database for the Suffolk County system what talkgroup these Harris radios might be on if they are even on the Suffolk County system?!

No. Suffolk County is not using Harris and is using Motorola APX series radios. The Harris XG100P and similar 7/800 mhz Harris radios will properly passively scan the Suffolk system in its current configuration.

NYSP may be using Harris on the Suffolk system because NYSP historically has used radios from Harris (now anyway, they started with GE radios way way back IIRC).

Seanm214

No. Suffolk County is not using Harris and is using Motorola APX series radios. The Harris XG100P and similar 7/800 mhz Harris radios will properly passively scan the Suffolk system in its current configuration.

NYSP may be using Harris on the Suffolk system because NYSP historically has used radios from Harris (now anyway, they started with GE radios way way back IIRC).
Suffolk county is not using APX radios yet they are still operating phase I smartzone even though they are capable of that. Some entities may be using the APX radios on the system but most of them are still using old Motorola radios like XTS5000 including Suffolk County Police. Even if they were using APX radios it would be on the phase I system. What I am trying to figure out is are the WORKERS at Sunken Meadow State Park (not nys park police) operating on the Suffolk County Trunked System with their Harris radios? I am aware that Suffolk County Police are using Motorola radios (XTS series) but the question is are there other brands of radios on the system like Harris that are operating on this system like from Sunken Meadow or NYSP?

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Suffolk county is not using APX radios yet they are still operating phase I smartzone even though they are capable of that. Some entities may be using the APX radios on the system but most of them are still using old Motorola radios like XTS5000 including Suffolk County Police. Even if they were using APX radios it would be on the phase I system. What I am trying to figure out is are the WORKERS at Sunken Meadow State Park (not nys park police) operating on the Suffolk County Trunked System with their Harris radios? I am aware that Suffolk County Police are using Motorola radios (XTS series) but the question is are there other brands of radios on the system like Harris that are operating on this system like from Sunken Meadow or NYSP?

Harris (and other brand) radios are capable of operating on the new P25 system, but not the Type II/Smartzone system. So if they're using Harris radios, it would have to be on the P25 system or some sort of Harris legacy system like EDACS (or conventional).

Pre-P25, radios and systems were manufacturer specific; a Motorola system required Motorola radios, a Harris (or M/A-Com, Tyco, Ericsson, GE) system required Harris (M/A-Com, Tyco, Ericsson, GE) radios, etc. The only exception was toward the end of the Smartnet/Smartzone days, when EFJ came out with a line of radios which would work on Motorola Smartnet/Smartzone systems as well as EFJ. Being locked in to one brand of radios was a massive PITA.

Last edited:

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Suffolk county PD switched to 100% encryption earlier this year
False. Suffolk County PD still operates primarily in analog mode on the SmartZone system, with the talkgroups also being carried on the new ASTRO 25 system. The County PD talkgroups are in the clear on both systems.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
They used EDACS before and now just switched over to P25 Phase II if I’m not mistaking tho… and yeah it’s been a while.. don’t go out there much
Nassau County PD has been operating on the 500 MHz P25 system for over a decade, and prior to that they were operating on conventional UHF repeaters, not EDACS. But this thread is/was about Suffolk County, so we're off topic now.

Status
Not open for further replies.