• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Harris XL-95 PTT solution?

tjordan331

Hi guys,
We were just issued new XL-95 radios. They use a HR2 style connector (same as old XG radios) however, I can not get my 3rd party (N-Ear, EPC, SheepdogMic) PTT button to activate the mic. Is this a pinout issue or programming? using the radios PTT button allows mic broadcasting.

BMDaug

I am licensed…
Premium Subscriber
Depending on the hardware, you may need to change accessory PTT to ‘any’ instead of ‘both’ some hardware has two PTT buttons that need to be pressed at the same time.

That can be an issue with the XL200P so I assume the same applies to the 95.

-B

tjordan331

Depending on the hardware, you may need to change accessory PTT to ‘any’ instead of ‘both’ some hardware has two PTT buttons that need to be pressed at the same time.

That can be an issue with the XL200P so I assume the same applies to the 95.

-B
Can this be done from the radio? or does the admin need to reprogram?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Can this be done from the radio? or does the admin need to reprogram?

I don't know about the 95's but on the 200's, it needs to be done with programming software.

Either way, if this is an agency owned radio, the correct approach is to let your management/sergeant/etc know of the issue. Let them approach the radio techs and have it addressed, if that is what they want.

Changing programming on an agency owned radio without their permission isn't a good idea.

Usually these things can be solved by just asking. I'll always address these sorts of things for our officers if it is needed.

tjordan331

I don't know about the 95's but on the 200's, it needs to be done with programming software.

Either way, if this is an agency owned radio, the correct approach is to let your management/sergeant/etc know of the issue. Let them approach the radio techs and have it addressed, if that is what they want.

Changing programming on an agency owned radio without their permission isn't a good idea.

Usually these things can be solved by just asking. I'll always address these sorts of things for our officers if it is needed.
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I needed to know if radio tech or our IT guy is our to go to as my LT tasked me to "figure out why these don't work" :D

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I needed to know if radio tech or our IT guy is our to go to as my LT tasked me to "figure out why these don't work" :D

Easy way to do this is to ask your LT who does the radio programming for your agency. Might have been a shop, might be someone at your agency, county, etc.
Then start there.

These modern radios have so many features that it is difficult for us radio guys to set up every single feature exactly right the first time. I'm not a cop, so I have to rely on what I know from my experience, talking with them, and looking at the setup of previous radios. After all that, it still comes down to me making a few assumptions about programming the features. To top it off, a number of the features are tightly intertwined, so what might seem like a simple change can often get quite complex.

Then, I have the officers start using the radios. I stand by waiting for feedback and ready to make changes. Usually takes a bit of time to shake out all the finer details.

If your LT is wanting you to take this on, it's entirely worth the agencies time/money for you to build a relationship with the radio guys. They should be happy to work with you to get the radios set up correctly. Find out who that is, buy him/her a cup of coffee and sit down with them to go through the radio programming. Ultimately it'll work out better for everyone. My #1 goal is to make sure the radios work for the officers, and I'll go out of my way to make sure that happens. I know that when I program a radio for the first time, it will not be the last time I have to touch it.

tjordan331

Easy way to do this is to ask your LT who does the radio programming for your agency. Might have been a shop, might be someone at your agency, county, etc.
Then start there.

These modern radios have so many features that it is difficult for us radio guys to set up every single feature exactly right the first time. I'm not a cop, so I have to rely on what I know from my experience, talking with them, and looking at the setup of previous radios. After all that, it still comes down to me making a few assumptions about programming the features. To top it off, a number of the features are tightly intertwined, so what might seem like a simple change can often get quite complex.

Then, I have the officers start using the radios. I stand by waiting for feedback and ready to make changes. Usually takes a bit of time to shake out all the finer details.

If your LT is wanting you to take this on, it's entirely worth the agencies time/money for you to build a relationship with the radio guys. They should be happy to work with you to get the radios set up correctly. Find out who that is, buy him/her a cup of coffee and sit down with them to go through the radio programming. Ultimately it'll work out better for everyone. My #1 goal is to make sure the radios work for the officers, and I'll go out of my way to make sure that happens. I know that when I program a radio for the first time, it will not be the last time I have to touch it.
I bet it was an oversite. He got me our radio guys info. I'll update this once we get it resolved. Thanks again!