Headset microphone for both Yaesu/ICOM?

weccwwe

Premium Subscriber
Hi All,

Finally looking into a headset for both my Yeasu and my ICOM radio setups. Both My setups has foot switch adapters, so 2 x 1/8" plug headset will be the one that I am looking for.

I am at the heil website, looking around.

Is there a headset microphone that will work for both Brands? I see these Dynamic/Electret mics, is there a headset that can do both brands?

K4EET

Chaplain
Premium Subscriber
Model numbers to pull up manuals in order to read what each radio needs would be really helpful. Have you tried to do this yet?

K7MH

Premium Subscriber
The Icom HF rigs use the electret mic, typically anyway. You can use a dynamic mic with Icom as well. You do need the correct adapter when using a Heil dynamic mic with an Icom rig. It will have a blocking capacitor in the adapter to block the DC voltage that goes to an electret element to power it. You do not want that voltage to get to the dynamic element as it will damage it and maybe the radio as well.

I use the BM-17 dynamic headset with the Icom IC-7600. Only differences are that I have to turn the mic gain up to about 3 o'clock with it. If I were using an electret mic, it would be set at about 10 o'clock as they are much more sensitive. Also, the dynamic mic does not pick up all the other noises going on in the room like TV set or my wife talking on the phone. That is pretty much the reason I use the dynamic model.

I could use it with Yaesu or other gear with the correct cable adapter as well. I don't happen to have a need for that however.

The electret mics would not as much be a good choice for some other rigs that usually are set up for a dynamic mic. They would not have the DC voltage on the audio line to power it. You would have to do some cobbling around to get a small DC voltage to the mic element in those cases.