Hearing more on WISCOM

Status
Not open for further replies.

musiclistener

I live in Wausau and pickup State Patrol Marathon Co. ok but not much else. I get Lincoln Co. When someone punches lincolnscan into the tower I hear fine. I have all adjoining WISCOM Counties put into my Bearcat 996p2. I have a discone up 40ft on a tower. !00ft of RG8 And 30ft of rg58 to one radio. I have an fm isolator splitter inline to cut down on fm band intermod. One side of it goes to radio, fm side has a screw on f terminator. Also have Channelmaster 4g/5g filter inline. Is there not much activity or am I missing something.

djeplett

Make sure you are in ID Search and not ID Scan. You may hear Menominee Public Transit then. Aspirus Medevac is pretty active, too. Otherwise it might be more quiet in your area until something big happens. There was a bad accident down in Washington County today and the WSP was very active in response but you probably only monitor North Central and they weren't involved.

R8000

Low Battery
Premium Subscriber
Most counties in Wisconsin don't use Wiscom as their primary radio system. Marathon and Lincoln Counties have their own conventional radio systems. Wide area P25 trunking systems normally don't push out radio traffic to all sites. If they did, channel capacity would be a huge problem. Only sites where a radio is active on that particular talkgroup will pass traffic on it.
Only a small handful of counties use Wiscom as their daily radio system.
So, I doubt there's any problem with your setup, it's just quiet up there.

ex31c20

I use this site to research WISCOM: Home | OEC (wi.gov) There's a lot of interesting documents. I also reference this site: Wisconsin Scanning Home Page (wisconsinradio.org). What I like about this site is if you scroll down, there's a link where you can get MABAS info. Not all Divisions/Counties information is available, but most of those who do have their information posted also provide links to their response cards showing who should furnish what equipment for incidents when activated.

DPNoyes

I live in Wausau and pickup State Patrol Marathon Co. ok but not much else. I get Lincoln Co. When someone punches lincolnscan into the tower I hear fine. I have all adjoining WISCOM Counties put into my Bearcat 996p2. I have a discone up 40ft on a tower. !00ft of RG8 And 30ft of rg58 to one radio. I have an fm isolator splitter inline to cut down on fm band intermod. One side of it goes to radio, fm side has a screw on f terminator. Also have Channelmaster 4g/5g filter inline. Is there not much activity or am I missing something.

DPNoyes

There are several possible reasons why you aren't hearing much on WISCOM. It might be that you are missing some of the channels for a given site, or missing Group ID's. I'm in Colby, so not very far away. I have a complete profile for WISCOM for the older BC-996T, but for the Phase 2 model, that's still a work in progress. I will be happy to share these profiles with you, if you desire. It will probably require a thumb drive, as the data is too large to E-Mail. Also, since RR has to provide channel descriptions across many makes & models of scanners, their ID Tags are usually hard to read, so I've fixed that, too. Just let me know whether you would like this.
Doug, N9BID
Colby, WI

CrabbyMilton

Here in Milwaukee, Most of the comms are full or part time patches from OASIS. Other than the medical helicopters and TG21 weather updates, I really don't listen to WISCOM much.

Status
Not open for further replies.