HELIOCLOCK

doublem

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Jul 9, 2009
Messages
79
Reaction score
51
Location
Oak Creek, Wisconsin
Added HELIOCLOCK to my desk setup powered by a Raspberry Pi 5. In addition to band conditions, HELIOCLOCK including a weather interface with lightening strikes, wildfires, tropical storms and hurricanes, volcano eruptions and earthquakes. Other layers include Pota and Sota activations, PSK Reporter to name a few. IMG_8653.jpeg
 

KC1UA

This ain't gettin us noplace, we'll have to blast!
Database Admin
Joined
Oct 27, 2002
Messages
2,380
Reaction score
1,383
Location
Marstons Mills, Cape Cod, Massachusetts
I ordered one on 9/3, still waiting for it to ship. They say seven business days so I'm close to the maximum. Looking forward to trying it out. I inquired and asked if they had considered offering a download for those of us that can deal with burning onto bootable media. They felt it would increase their support issues dramatically.

I'm going to try to back up my image (per their instructions to use an app called imageUSB) and then reflash it to a small thumb drive, which will hopefully be more robust as time passes.

Looking forward to receiving mine. It'll be displayed on a 43" 4K TV.
 

KC1UA

This ain't gettin us noplace, we'll have to blast!
Database Admin
Joined
Oct 27, 2002
Messages
2,380
Reaction score
1,383
Location
Marstons Mills, Cape Cod, Massachusetts
Mine came in yesterday. I originally ran it directly connected to a 43" 4k TV. I am using a Raspberry Pi 4 with 4GB RAM. I found it to be very sluggish with the info crawl at the bottom of the screen, and the mouse and keyboard were as well. A reboot improved this to some extent. I updated to the newest version of the software, don't think that made much difference. I am connected via ethernet.

Then, I tried connecting across the LAN from another ethernet connected PC and it ran as smooth as can be. This got me thinking (dangerous in and of itself) and I wound up reconfiguring to run the Pi headless. The 43" TV is now the secondary monitor on one of the PC's, and I'm opening a web browser connection to the Helioclock on it, then pressing F11 to run full screen. Works like a champ and eliminates the need for having an extra keyboard and mouse kicking around the desktop.

If you have a spare Pi or PC kicking around doing nothing, this is absolutely worth the short $$. Very impressive, great interface, and thus far great support. I've received almost immediate replies when asking the few questions I had.
 

N9JIG

Sheriff
Moderator
Joined
Dec 14, 2001
Messages
6,603
Reaction score
6,220
Location
Far NW Valley
.... Works like a champ and eliminates the need for having an extra keyboard and mouse kicking around the desktop.

...
I use the Logitech MX series keyboard and mouse (which I love BTW). One of the features is that they will work on up to three devices via Bluetooth, or two Bluetooth and one with the included USB dongle. Other brands often have this as well.

I use this on my Mac desk to connect the keyboard to my desktop Mac, my MacBook and my iPad, on the PC desk I use it for the PC and (when I was using it for a project) my pi.

This reduces clutter for devices that you only interact with occasionally, such as the HelioClock (which is on my radar for sure!.
 

doublem

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Jul 9, 2009
Messages
79
Reaction score
51
Location
Oak Creek, Wisconsin
Mine came in yesterday. I originally ran it directly connected to a 43" 4k TV. I am using a Raspberry Pi 4 with 4GB RAM. I found it to be very sluggish with the info crawl at the bottom of the screen, and the mouse and keyboard were as well. A reboot improved this to some extent. I updated to the newest version of the software, don't think that made much difference. I am connected via ethernet.

Then, I tried connecting across the LAN from another ethernet connected PC and it ran as smooth as can be. This got me thinking (dangerous in and of itself) and I wound up reconfiguring to run the Pi headless. The 43" TV is now the secondary monitor on one of the PC's, and I'm opening a web browser connection to the Helioclock on it, then pressing F11 to run full screen. Works like a champ and eliminates the need for having an extra keyboard and mouse kicking around the desktop.

If you have a spare Pi or PC kicking around doing nothing, this is absolutely worth the short $$. Very impressive, great interface, and thus far great support. I've received almost immediate replies when asking the few questions I had.
My buddy experienced latency and locking. He switched to a Pi 5 which solved his issues.
 
Top