Help finding AM stations

Status
Not open for further replies.

cupcheck

Hey guys I'm new here and I am looking for some help.

I just recently got into radios and I'm excited to learn but I think I may have purchased the hardest radio to learn on haha. I have an Icom IC-R5 and I think it will be great for what I'm looking for I just can't figure it out yet.

I found how to find and program local FM stations (music) into the memory bank, but I can't seem to find my local AM stations. I don't know which set of AM bands to look through. There are like three different AM bands.

If you can help in any way I would greatly appreciate it. My radio has a built in WM Bar if I am correct, so this should enable me to receive local AM broadcasting correct?

Thanks again guys.

Zaratsu

Premium Subscriber
I think it has been discussed before that the R5 was kind of deaf on MW AM despite it's small ferrite rod.

but its 560-1710khz wide iirc in the USA. Are you getting static even? You HAVE to be getting at least 5 or 6 spanish-language stations in bold and clear no matter where you stand in the USA. ;)

key2_altfire

My radio has a built in WM Bar if I am correct, so this should enable me to receive local AM broadcasting correct?

Yes, that's right, but you also have to make sure the internal bar antenna is selected if you want to use it. The R5 can receive broadcast AM through the whip, bar, or by a wire antenna connected to the earphone jack.

It is a bit of a tricky radio to learn due to the many, many functions each button has to encompass, but 45 minutes with the radio, the manual, and a lot of button-pushing, and you'll figure it out just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.