Help Getting ready to serve

Status
Not open for further replies.

kn0bdy

Now I have my tech license. And I have a K-9 going to Cadaver and Search and Rescue training in July. I wonder if anyone knows when and how I can hook up with Detroit metro area R.A.C.E.S. or any emergency system that I can affiliate with to make the best use of my K-9. I am a disabled Veteran and wish to spend my retirement helping others while I can. Any suggestions or information would be greatly appriciated.
Nobody~kn0bdy

70cutlass442

Premium Subscriber
can't give you any advice on my end, just wanted to say that's pretty awesome that you are getting into that type of work in your retirement! Good luck to you and your pup! PS... maybe check with local redcross? they mite be able to shoot you in the right direction.

garys

Premium Subscriber
If your dog is going to be trained in Cadaver and live victim search, then you should see if there is a FEMA USAR team in your area. They are almost always looking for dogs and handlers. You can also check with local police and fire agencies to see if they have a way to put the dog to use. The Red Cross doesn't do that sort of thing.

drdispatch

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
Premium Subscriber
Start with this gentleman;
John J. McDonough
Michigan Section Emergency Coordinator
WB8RCR@arrl.net

He should be able to hook you up with somebody in that area for ARES/RACES.

And thank you for your service & sacrifice.

P.S. Nice twist on the "vanity" call sign concept!

Last edited:

kn0bdy

Thanks for the help everyone

Now I have my tech license. And I have a K-9 going to Cadaver and Search and Rescue training in July. I wonder if anyone knows when and how I can hook up with Detroit metro area R.A.C.E.S. or any emergency system that I can affiliate with to make the best use of my K-9. I am a disabled Veteran and wish to spend my retirement helping others while I can. Any suggestions or information would be greatly appriciated.
Nobody~kn0bdy

I found a Search and rescue group meeting Saturday. One of the requirements is FCC license. They teach emergency first aid. And I am meeting with a trainer in 2 weeks to evealuate my K-9. Sitll haven't heard from ARES/RACES but there is always tomorrow. Gladly open to anymore suggestions.

Thanks again,
nobody ~ kn0bdy

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
I don't think you'll get much feedback from ARES/RACES since dog rescue really doesn't fit into their mission. I think whoever provides your training will have some points of contact too.

Status
Not open for further replies.