Help loading NYCOMCO EDACS System in 246T

Status
Not open for further replies.

rja1

Premium Subscriber
I'm in Putnam county (ALL conventional) & I got a BC 246T last Christmas. My parents are in NJ & I've managed to load NJSP & Ocean county trunked systems. I would like to load the NYCOMCO EDACS system so I can get some use out of the scanner when I'm not in NJ. I have ARC246 software. The more I read UNIDEN's manual & the ARC246 manual, the more confused I get.
I'm not even sure these are the right questions to ask, but here goes: Is NYCOMCO EDACS a wide, narrow or SCT system? There are 8 different transmitters sites, all with there own set of frequencies. Must these all be entered? In any special order? This site says "EDACS NETWORK STANDARD". What is DEC & AFS?
Any help getting this loaded is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
bob
n2oam

paul

Bc-246 Nycomco

Check NF2G (http://www.nf2g.com/scannist/) trunked radio listings (Frequencies - Statewide - Trunking - EDACS - NYCOMCO). Mount Beacon is your best bet for Putnam Co. Think it should be Wide. Be sure to enter the frequencies in the exact order shown & enter 0 in Chas. 4-9.
You can do this by old fashioned manual programming! AFS is the Agency-Fleet-Subfleet method of indicating trunked talk groups. You'll see a complete listing on NF2G's site. For example - on Beacon the City of Newburgh PD dispatch talk group ID in AFS is 04-121. DEC is the Decimal way of showing a talk group (609 for Newburgh PD).

The frequencies for each tower site need to go into a separate scanner bank.

This should get you started.

maalox

rja1 said:
I'm in Putnam county (ALL conventional) & I got a BC 246T last Christmas. My parents are in NJ & I've managed to load NJSP & Ocean county trunked systems. I would like to load the NYCOMCO EDACS system so I can get some use out of the scanner when I'm not in NJ. I have ARC246 software. The more I read UNIDEN's manual & the ARC246 manual, the more confused I get.
I'm not even sure these are the right questions to ask, but here goes: Is NYCOMCO EDACS a wide, narrow or SCT system? There are 8 different transmitters sites, all with there own set of frequencies. Must these all be entered? In any special order? This site says "EDACS NETWORK STANDARD". What is DEC & AFS?
Any help getting this loaded is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
bob
n2oam
hi bob the best way is to have some one call you on phone and explain.

rja1

Premium Subscriber
Thanks to all who responded. I uploaded the frequencies for the MT. BEACON tower,
then uploaded the AFS #'s (xx-000) for some talk groups from Newburgh. downloaded to the scanner. Didn't hear a thing. Had ARC246 read the scanner & the LCN's that had no frequency in them were eliminated. there were 4 or 5 that just had 000.0000 in the freq slot, no name, the the lcn number. Don't know why ARC 246 did that. Now, I've loaded the frequencies for the beacon tower in my conventional scanner & I cant hear a thing! Running a AUSTIN FERRET & a CREAT LPDA, both fed with LMR400UF through a Stridesburg active coupler. I know exactly where MT beacon is, Just 20 air miles away from my qth. MT Beacon is in the S.E. corner of Dutchess county.......maybe they're using beam antennas??? Hard to believe I can't hear them from 20 miles away!

bob
n2oam

D

DaveNF2G

Maybe you have another obstruction between your station and Mount Beacon. Try the Kingston and/or Poughkeepsie channels.

It's also remotely possible that you happened to set up your scanner just in time for a system outage.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Don't enter anything in for the non-existent LCN's. The instructions you were given above weren't for the BC246T. Also, if you want to monitor multiple sites, each site in the system needs to be entered as its own system.

If programmed correctly, you should be able to press HOLD while scanning the system and hear the digital control channel noise. If you don't hear the noise, you are either out of range of the site or don't have at least the control channel's frequency correct.

I'd avoid worrying about specific talk group ID's (DEC/AFS stuff) until you are sure that it is trunking. Just put in the frequencies and run it in ID Search mode.

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
If you're in the Carmel, Brewster, Kent areas, you will not hear the EDACS systems from Dutchess and Orange Counties.

Spec

EDACS in Putnam

Unless you are in the western part of Put you will not hear the Beacon Twr. And even then it won't be the greatest. If you are in Kent or a high spot in Southeast you may have a better shot at site 001 on Illinois Mtn. I have gotten Illinois from up in Kent, but all that was in high spots. A yagi beam towards Poughkeepsie / Highland would be a better setup for that. There have been some false postings on some lists as to the Beacon Twr freq. and the LCN's on that site. NF2G's listings are correct so you can use that as a verified point of referrance.

Spec

Last edited:

paul

Nycomco & Bc-246t

Sorry for the incorrect suggestions in yesterday's post. I should've realized that the BC-246T is more complicated than the RS PRO-94 I'm using!
As of today the Mt. Beacon control channel is on 857.7125 MHz. and Illinois Mtn. (just across the Hudson from Poughkeepsie) is on 853.2625 MHz. These control channels rarely change. If you can't hear them you may be out of range.

Status
Not open for further replies.