Help Me Pick My Shortwave Receiver

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
The Tec Sun line, especially the PL-880, has become my favorite brand at this time in this category of receivers. Love the ergonomics and superior sound on the 880. For a bit more "extreme" portable/mobile (& fixed), I tend toward the ICOMs and Yaesus (i.e. 817/857) receivers/transceivers.

- cognetic

For a portable I agree on the TECSUN PL-880.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
If you are going with the 660, there is a dedicated Yahoo group for this radio where you might find tips that are otherwise harder to find...

There is also a similar group on groups.io, but it doesn't seem to have much yet. As folks move over from Yahoo, this is where they tend to go

There's even a Facebook group for this radio...

Mike

Boombox

I think the PL-660 or 880 would be a good rig. A lot of guys have them and are happy with them. Portable, probably work well off the whip, and I think the two models will work off an external antenna also. I have a Grundig G2 -- made at the same factory probably, with similar guts (a similar chip that makes the radio work), and it will pull in a lot just off the whip. Very easy to use radio. I'm sure the Tecsuns are much the same.

cognetic

Premium Subscriber
It's like somehow baked into my gene expression... =:cool:
Scanning the horizon for what's better to come...
And... an IC-705 has been on pre-order from at least two different vendors since day one LOL

- cognetic

p.s. any OP updates on that PL-660 performance?

So we like to talk radios, or applaud the OP for making a good choice. It happens.

mbott

Premium Subscriber
The PL-660 should serve you well. It was one that I purchased when I sent my Sony ICF-2010 off to Kiwa for some TLC. Still use the PL-660 when doing some listening on the front porch. It's a good unit.

--
Mike

scan_madison

The PL-660 should serve you well. It was one that I purchased when I sent my Sony ICF-2010 off to Kiwa for some TLC. Still use the PL-660 when doing some listening on the front porch. It's a good unit.

--
Mike
One of my friends has 2010 that needs some TLC. When did you have it done and how much it costs? Any info would be highly appreciated. Thanks.

mbott

Premium Subscriber

WA8ZTZ

Never heard of an Eton 745 but it looks like the 750 (formerly Satellit 750) is back.

The 750 is my all time favorite portable... although it is a big portable. It is my go to radio for casual SWLing.
However, it is overpriced at $400. For the same money you can get a real communications receiver in the
Alinco DX-R8T. The Alinco lacks the FM and VHF airband but don't buy the 750 just for FM or air. They are nice to have, but the FM selectivity
on the 750 in a crowded urban environment is disappointing. You will have a hard time pulling out a fringe FM station
from between a couple of adjacent channel locals. Also, it lacks RDS. If your interest is VHF air then get a real scanner so you can
pick up the hand offs from center to approach to tower.

That said, if you can find a new 750 for under $300, grab it. It has given me many hours of enjoyable AM broadcast band and SW
listening. It is my nightly receiver for the W1AW code practice sessions.

Anyway, the OP got a PL-660 back in post #17.

mbott

Premium Subscriber
I know the OP has made his selection already, but one portable that I am continually impressed with is the Eton/Grundig Executive Satellit. My favorite "porch" SW radio.

--
Mike

majoco

Stirrer
There are not many new desktops around these days - but there are plenty of used ones - 'you pays yer money and yer takes yer choice' but given a decent antenna they will knock the spots off any pocket sized portable. I have an NRD 515, a Kenwood R2000 and a really old marine Degen 7313 aka Skanti 5000 and they outdo my Degen 1103 and Tecsun PL600 any day for stability and speech quality through a decent external amp and speaker. If you want a portable for listening out on the deck then the old Sony's take a bit of beating - CRF 5100, Zenith 3000-1 and D7000 - just my 10c's worth.

Scan125

If you do choose the Alinco DX-R8 then be sure to check out my DriveR8 Control Program.

DriveR8 Control Program

driver8mainpanelrx.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.