HELP!!! My Realistic Pro 2001 Scanner Is Broken! And its bad...

Taeron

Okay, So this starts a long time ago. About 4 years ago, My grandpa gave the the scanner, and i had no idea what it did, up until about two months ago. Ever since then i have been entiring different frequencies, trying to find some. I found some interesting ones and decided to just listen to those ones. Its been plugged into the wall for days on and, and i thought that was fine. My subcoucious however, did not. I trew countlees reams at me where i would walke up, and hear REALLY loud static. Like, as if the fir alarms at shchools could transmit actual sound. My subcouncious was partly right on not trusting it because it broke in an scary, and interesting way last night.

I woke up to errie screeching, coming from the corner of my room (where the scanner is). I went into panic, as it was really loud, not like my dreams though. I went to my mom and dad, but they didnt help. So, i had to plug my ears and unplug it. However, a few minutes later, the screeching started again! Idk how, but it was still going. I told my dad, and when he came in, it just stopped. He took a bunch of electronics, instead of just my scanner. Like my alexa, my extension chord (idk why), and my portable scanner. I dont think its my portable scanner because even if it was, it wouldnt be even close to that loud.

He told me that it was my alexa, because it stopped when he took it. I doubt that though, Can someone please tell me if this is my alexa, or at least in any way an actual fault?

Sorry this turned into a story, i just felt that it needed it.

Attachments

• scanner.jpg
    scanner.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 15

wtp

any device, except an old toaster, might generate a signal that can be picked up by a radio.
move them to different sides of the house and try them, and then put them side by side, to see/hear the difference.
and was this just on one frequency, and which one ?
oh, and my 2001 just started this year of putting out static as i turn it on, usually it goes away in a few minutes and it still scans as this is happening. but receives nothing.

Last edited:

w2xq

Mentor
Honestly, the PRO 2001 scanner was manufactured from 1978 to 1980. In all likelihood a 40-plus year old component in the radio has failed. The test would be to turn off ALL other electronics or, if no power switch, unplug the units without power switches. Then turn on the scanner and let it run.

If the 2001 behaves for an hour or so, power on the other electronics one at a time and let each run for, say, an hour. (That includes totally unplugging the Alexa. I don't have an Alexa; if there are cables attached, remove those too. Run the test separately. ) If you are lucky, you might find something interacts with the scanner.

Personally I would be surprised if you find an interaction. You are pushing your luck with such an old scanner. If you can even find a repair shop to do a board level diagnostic, the cost would probably be prohibitive.

If you can get the 2001 working, I suggest you plan on buying a new scanner in the relatively near (however you define "near") future. The end-of-life has to be close at hand.

Sorry. HTH.

Last edited:

tvengr

Well Known Member
Does the pitch of the screeching vary when you adjust the volume? I have a PRO-30, the first Radio Shack non-crystal handheld (1984). It is huge and weighs a ton. Also 16 channels.

N1EXA

FT8 Huntin Mudd Duck on the deep end of the pond !
Sounds Like P25 Transmissions.
I have the same scanner which i use for Marine band only now because it does not have narrowband FM.

Telling us what frequency its doing this on would help and your location so it can be looked up in the data base on who or what it is ?

Pete N1EXA

Last edited:

Taeron

I forgot to mention that it was turned off. It was kinda dumb of me to forget this artifact. Sorry.

wtp

Taeron

I forgot to mention that it was turned off. It was kinda dumb of me to forget this artifact. Sorry.
if it was unplugged too, then you got something !!
i have seen some of the old click to turn off switches break and stay on.
that was in electronics class in the mid 70's.

El_Kabong

PRO-2001 is a nifty looking scanner.

I bought a new PRO-2020 back in the day. Had it for years until it crapped out about 2010 or so.

StoliRaz

🇺🇲
Premium Subscriber
PRO-2001 is a nifty looking scanner.

I bought a new PRO-2020 back in the day. Had it for years until it crapped out about 2010 or so.

I like the PRO-2004 a little better, it looks like a scale you'd see at a deli and had 800mhz. Space age for the late 80s 😆

w2xq

Mentor
So, with all the suggestions above, have you yet run any tests with the other electronics or figured out if it is a particular frequency with a digital signal of some sort? Something else? Curious minds want to know. 😀

Taeron

Taeron

if it was unplugged too, then you got something !!
i have seen some of the old click to turn off switches break and stay on.
that was in electronics class in the mid 70's.

This might just be it. With the combined fact of N1EXA metioning P25 Transmissions, this might be it.

Taeron

So, with all the suggestions above, have you yet run any tests with the other electronics or figured out if it is a particular frequency with a digital signal of some sort? Something else? Curious minds want to know. 😀
My dad wont even let me have any of the previously suspected electronics back for any reason! And he isn't even trying to test, or fix any of them.

Taeron

Although I still have one question, why was it still running, even AFTER i unplugged it fully. The alexa is on the complete oppisite side of the room, and i dont think that is it. I dont know, but i am thinking something is possible. The battrey, instead of going to the power bank, was running, and overloading the speaker. I personally bareley know anything about electronics, but i have seen things like this happen before.

CycleSycho

:eek: In these days and ages, I wonder if there was something 'added' inside the scanner (or any of the other stuff taken out)? There are quite a few 'nanny cams' in weird locations, lately. Just a though since the thing made noises after the plug was out AND dear ole dad will not give back any devices. :eek:

StoliRaz

🇺🇲
Premium Subscriber
Reminds me of these wireless over the ear headphones I used to have. I fell asleep with them on listening to music. Something made them go haywire while I was asleep and I woke up to super loud screeching/buzzing in my ear, and couldn't get them to stop. Removing the battery wasn't an option as it was sealed, built in. I ended up smashing them to pieces. (This is another reason I hate sealed batteries but I digress)

I wish you better luck with your scanner!

N8IAA

Considering that it is about 50 years old, different components could be failing.
I'm going out on a limb that modern electronics won't be interferring with signals on that scanner.
JMTCW