Help needed on the Diamond D-130J with scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sbee

Premium Subscriber
I am looking to buy a good outdoor antenna. The only place I can mount it is on the house chimney which will be around 25-30 feet from ground level, I primarily scan 118-124, 140-145 and the 800's. Is this the best antenna under these circumstances ?

Stonebrook

Premium Subscriber
I recently put up a D-130J on my chimney and ran about 80 feet of LMR-400 to my BCT15. I am having outstanding results with this antenna. I am planning to borrow a spectrum analyzer and a reflectance bridge from work to directly measure the antenna performance, but I have not done that yet.

I can provide some empirical results. There is a small airport about 5 miles from my house. I could copy all tower and ground control transmissions, but aircraft on the ground were often unreadable. Now I have full quieting of the transmission...sounds like the pilot is in the room with me.

NOAA weather tranmissions are a good reference signal for checking antenna performance. With the stock BCT15 antenna, I get no weather stations. With the D-130J antenna, I can hear transmission on all NOAA weather channels, some weak, others very strong. I checked the location of a weak-but-readable signal, and according to the FCC database the tower is 65 miles away.

From 45MHz (CHP) to 1283MHz (amature) I am harving excellent results.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.