Sentinel: Help needed with Sentinal software

patrickchampa

I'm having issues with the Uniden Sentinal software. There are a few abnomallies I notice with my computer where it does act as shown on other systems and so forth. I use other radio programming software and maybe I'm getting them confused or maybe I have a box unchecked somewhere. So when i want to select an item from the DB or favorites I have to select one at a time, i cant select multiple items by using CTRL key. In a p25 system for example, I may want a few items for a county lets say. I can only select one to add to my favorites, at which put im taken to the very top on the lists meaning i have to scroll down to find a single item to add to favorites before starting the whole process over... its very frustrating. Second issues. Say I add an item from a systems list, even though I can only transfer one item at a time the software will copy over every single site frequency in the whole system which means i have to manually delete each unneeded site... which can be timely beacause just like before I can select multiple item.

I would like to upgrade mu BCD436HP and older GRECOM/Whistler with a SDS100 but not it programming is a nightmare.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
There are other programming software available. Freescan is one and another is Butel ARC. Freescan is free and Butel costs. Butel touts itself as an add-on to Sentinel where it does most all of what’s needed but leaves out a couple of things. Sentinel has the ability to download and install firmware and software to your scanner (SDS100/SDS200) where Butel doesn’t. (I don’t use Freescan so I can’t speak for that program.) The Butel is an editing program that does just about all that Sentiinel can do IF you pay a small subscription to Radio Reference in order to allow downloads from RR’s database into the Butel programming software, and once there, it can be loaded into the scanner. But wait to see what others post concerning Freescan. (If it does more or less than Butel ARC.)

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
If you already have everything as you want it with the 436 in Sentinel, just write the same profile/favorites to the SDS100.
You just need to change the target model before you do....

Brales60

Premium Subscriber
You can load multiple sites/items a time by holding down the CTRL key. Just click on that system and selection the ones you want from the root tree.I just updated mine this morning, and in a P25 system for Sarasota County. Are you right clicking and using the append to favorites line to add them? You can also add the whole system and delete the ones you don't want.

tvengr

Well Known Member
I would like to upgrade mu BCD436HP and older GRECOM/Whistler with a SDS100 but not it programming is a nightmare.
The BCD436HP and SDS100 can use the same favorites lists files in Sentinel. There are a few differences between the scanners such as the ability to use Site NAC in the SDS100 and SDS200 scanners plus the SDS scanners have a customizable display. You just click on the Tools tab in Sentinel and select BCDx36HP or SDS100 as the Target Model and the proper settings for each scanner will be available. FreeSCAN does not work with the BCD436HP or SDS100.

Last edited:

Brales60

Premium Subscriber
Nevermind guys! Its my computer! Loaded the software on my wife's laptop and it works fine. I tried uninstalling everything and re loading it. Who knows?

Thanks for all help everyone.
Don't forget the services types and monitor/download options on, it's easy to overlook and can drive you crazy not knowing why it doesn't pickup anything.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
There are other programming software available. Freescan is one and another is Butel ARC. Freescan is free and Butel costs. Butel touts itself as an add-on to Sentinel where it does most all of what’s needed but leaves out a couple of things. Sentinel has the ability to download and install firmware and software to your scanner (SDS100/SDS200) where Butel doesn’t. (I don’t use Freescan so I can’t speak for that program.) The Butel is an editing program that does just about all that Sentiinel can do IF you pay a small subscription to Radio Reference in order to allow downloads from RR’s database into the Butel programming software, and once there, it can be loaded into the scanner. But wait to see what others post concerning Freescan. (If it does more or less than Butel ARC.)
FreeSCAN does not work for the database scanners, such as the x36HP & SDS series scanners.

For these scanners, such as the OP's 436HP, the choices, besides Sentinel, are ProScan & ARC536. I prefer ProScan, since it has more features than the others, and also works on other models of Uniden scanners such as the P2 & XLT DMA series, as well as even older models.
I'm having issues with the Uniden Sentinal software. There are a few abnormalities I notice with my computer where it does act as shown on other systems and so forth. I use other radio programming software and maybe I'm getting them confused or maybe I have a box unchecked somewhere. So when i want to select an item from the DB or favorites I have to select one at a time, i cant select multiple items by using CTRL key. In a p25 system for example, I may want a few items for a county lets say. I can only select one to add to my favorites, at which put im taken to the very top on the lists meaning i have to scroll down to find a single item to add to favorites before starting the whole process over... its very frustrating. Second issues. Say I add an item from a systems list, even though I can only transfer one item at a time the software will copy over every single site frequency in the whole system which means i have to manually delete each unneeded site... which can be timely beacause just like before I can select multiple item.

Regardless of how you select what Departments you want to append in Sentinel, Sentinel will still append every site of a trunked system. You can selectively avoid the unneeded or undesired sites, but that takes some time. You could, instead, use Location Control and let that disable the extra baggage. But if you do that, makes sure you have your desired location & range set, as well as insuring that all systems in that specific Favorites list have location details. If you manually entered any system, site, or department, then the location, initially, is blank. That corresponds to something off the the coast of Africa, in the Atlantic Ocean, obviously out of range.

I prefer to delete the extras, since they are unwanted & unneeded for monitoring in your specific area, Should I need them at later date, I can always append them to a 'dummy' system, then use the Favorites editor to move the ones I need back to a Favorites list.

The better solution is to use specific software, such as ProScan or ARC536, which allows you specify only the Sites & Departments that are wanted. A Premium subscription is required for importing that way, but you already are at that status. Importing via either of these programs will also carry over location data in case you intend to use a GPS. Both programs have a 30 day free trial period, before you have to either purchase a license or discontinue using them.