PSR500/PSR600: Help needed

I'm mot sure if this is where I need to post this , my first time here. I live in Nova Scotia , Canada and I have a grecom psr 500 digital trunking scanner I got from a friend. When I got it everything seemed to work somewhat ok. I've been a first responder for 33 years and have had other scanners before but this one is giving me some issues with programming. I am using the win500 program and bought a cable from amazon which seems to be working . I have imported my frequencys and everything from RR they way I have read online but it appears my scanner will not communicate with my laptop. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Welcome to the Radio Reference forums! Did you install a driver for the cable? That is needed to communicate with the scanner. Make sure you are plugged into the PC/IF jack on the scanner, not the headphone jack. If your cable has a mono adapter on the end, remove it. The PSR-500 requires a stereo plug. What is your location in Nova Scotia and which systems and agencies do you want to monitor? I program scanners for firefighters in my area in the USA. I have Win500 also.

Last edited:

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Windows 11 has had some problems with older drivers for USB. My version of that radio did not like Win 11, and I stuck to my Win 10 computer for some of my older radios. I believe there is a newer USB driver for Windows 11, but I have not downloaded or tried it.

jkahn

Very good looking Member
Premium Subscriber
To the original poster: do you have a subscription to RadioReference (needed to download)?

FWIW: Win11 also has a compatibility setting for older drivers and programs.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
To the original poster: do you have a subscription to RadioReference (needed to download)?

FWIW: Win11 also has a compatibility setting for older drivers and programs.

Their post indicates they are a Premium Subscriber so I'd say yes, they do have a subscription here that allows downloads.
I'd lean towards the serial adapter being used as the source of the problem. Hopefully it's not one of the old Prolific chipset based adapters that were counterfeit and Win10 and up won't allow the drivers to install.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
I'm mot sure if this is where I need to post this , my first time here. I live in Nova Scotia , Canada and I have a grecom psr 500 digital trunking scanner I got from a friend. When I got it everything seemed to work somewhat ok. I've been a first responder for 33 years and have had other scanners before but this one is giving me some issues with programming. I am using the win500 program and bought a cable from amazon which seems to be working . I have imported my frequencys and everything from RR they way I have read online but it appears my scanner will not communicate with my laptop. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Have you made sure the comm port Windows assigned to your programming adapter matches what the Comm port is set to in Win500?

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
After you've installed the correct cable driver for your O/S, without having the cable plugged in at all, open Device Manager. Now plug in the USB end into your PC. The Device Manager list should populate and show which COM port the cable is assigned to. You'll need to enter that port into WIN500. Next is to plug the other end of the cable into the PSR-500 into its PC/IF jack. If that doesn't work, please tell us what is the issue.