help on rebanding programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

acourpet

I'm trying to program my BC796D for rebanding. I did the firware update with no problem. Then I tried to follow the instructions from Uniden on how to reprogram it. My problem is how to get started. How do you tell the scanner what band plan you want to change. All I get is what bank you want to change. I assume that is not the same as the band plan or is it. If someone could please tell me the keystrokes to get started I'd really would appreciate it. I want to program for Santa Clara County CA. It says it is on motorolla type II. When asked for what configuration block number (1 to 6) does it matter what number I choose and when I program band plan 2 do I choose the same block number. Also I read somewhere on RR that you have to make sure that you are entering the frequencies in trunk mode. Is not that automatic when the scanner ask you the base lower and upper frequencies.Thanks

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Yes AFAIK it matters which configuration block you enter the data. You should implement it EXACTLY as written. Of course you can do this a whole lot easier by using ProScan and a premium subscription. With these 2 tools, the proper tables will be loaded automagically.

ARC250 (available from Scanner Master) will also do both...

Mike

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
By the way, always use TYPE2 CUSTOM as the bank type - there are very very few Type1 systems left out there anymore...you want to use lines (what the Uniden site calls a 'configuration block') 1 and 2. Mike

acourpet

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the reply. I just downloaded ARC250 yesterday. I see the data base for the trunk frequencies but are you telling me there is a place somewhere on the software where it will load the 2 band plans I need also. Would you happen to know where it is.

Thanks

Loran

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Like I said before, it's automatic. As long as the flag on the entry is set (and you'll know it because there's a big announcement about the system being rebanded), you don't need to do much else.

See what happens when you download it...take a look at the bank settings and see if the custom table is set somewhere. I'm going to bet that it is...Mike

acourpet

Uploaded the trunk channels then went into the trunk settings in the scanner and it was blank. I tried inputting the 2 band plans manually again but still didn't work. I guess I need more brain cells to figure this out. Will keep trying. Thanks for trying to help.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
There are several possibilities here, but the most likely one would be that the COM port you think you have allocated in ARC250 is not available. Did you validate this by looking in Windows Device Manager? I would assume you would have to, since the rebanding fix did take - or did it? It sounds very much like it did not, since you can't seem to reband the scanner manually.

Next, something I would assume you had also already done, but maybe not, is to set the port speed on the input to the scanner.

Did you validate that the custom plan was loaded into ARC250? Is the bank type correct? If that part went OK, then it's the connection from the PC to the scanner that's possibly at fault.

If you are using a USB-serial converter, you must load the drivers before you plug in the cable. Did you validate this in Device Manager? You can access it in several ways, as documented here...

Connecting Scanners via USB - the RR Wiki

These are some of the possibilities...

Mike

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Here's a quick and dirty page on how to set up various Uniden scanner's ports before connecting to software (in this case, it's Scan Control - but it doesn't matter - the intent of the method is the same throughout)

Radio Setup

Mike

acourpet

There are several possibilities here, but the most likely one would be that the COM port you think you have allocated in ARC250 is not available. Did you validate this by looking in Windows Device Manager? I would assume you would have to, since the rebanding fix did take - or did it? It sounds very much like it did not, since you can't seem to reband the scanner manually.

*Yep, no problem communicating with the scanner. And I verified that the Version number was the latest which I believe was 3.60

Next, something I would assume you had also already done, but maybe not, is to set the port speed on the input to the scanner.

*Done that.

Did you validate that the custom plan was loaded into ARC250?

*Didn't do that.

Is the bank type correct? If that part went OK, then it's the connection from the PC to the scanner that's possibly at fault.

If you are using a USB-serial converter, you must load the drivers before you plug in the cable. Did you validate this in Device Manager? You can access it in several ways, as documented here...

Connecting Scanners via USB - the RR Wiki

These are some of the possibilities...

Mike

Many thanks again for your help. I'm sure it's just a little setting or check box somewhere I'm missing.

Will keep trying.

Clark

Join the ARC250 Yahoo Group and maybe somebody there can help.
ARC250 software is such old software maybe it isn't updated to handle 800 MHz Rebanded systems.

I would think that after the Firmare update, somewhere in the 796D Menu there is now a place to manually enter the Table information for Rebanded systems.

Select the Bank that the Santa Clara system is in and go from there.

Clark

Status
Not open for further replies.