Help selecting scanner!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScanOne

Hello everyone,

Great site! I've learned alot from reading the posts and now became a member. I recently purchased an analog scanner and have enjoyed the hobby very much. Now I find that I miss some transmissions when something important happens. So, I'm in the market for a second scanner. I've narrowed my options down to three; the BR330T, BCD396T or the PSR-500. I'm interested in your opinions about the three scanners and if your opinion is that digital is better, then which of the two would you select. I'm concerned that the PSR-500 may get overloaded in the northern NJ/NYC metro area where I mainly monitor. I appreciate your input.

jngizzi

I would go with the BC396T. It includes digital and P25. I bought mine about 3 weeks ago and I'm happy with the purchase. Upgrade to the premium membership for radioref and programming is a breeze with the Butel software.

I have an analog AOR8200 that have been using for many years. If AOR had a Trunk Tracking version I would have purchased it hands down. IMO AOR makes some of the best radio's out there.

Joe

kenisned

Premium Subscriber
ScanOne said:
Hello everyone,

Great site! I've learned alot from reading the posts and now became a member. I recently purchased an analog scanner and have enjoyed the hobby very much. Now I find that I miss some transmissions when something important happens. So, I'm in the market for a second scanner. I've narrowed my options down to three; the BR330T, BCD396T or the PSR-500. I'm interested in your opinions about the three scanners and if your opinion is that digital is better, then which of the two would you select. I'm concerned that the PSR-500 may get overloaded in the northern NJ/NYC metro area where I mainly monitor. I appreciate your input.

396 hands down.

Highpockets

ScanOne said:
Hello everyone,

I don't know what part of north jersey you live, if it's any where near Lodi, stop in Advanced Specialties Inc. and look at the scanners for yourself, maybe he has a few on display and scanning, in may help you decide.

ScanOne

Thanks

Thanks for the suggestions! I'm leaning towards a digital scanner especially after reading that Bayonne switched to digital and Jersey City may in the near future. Also, it seems that I need digital to monitor federal agencies. Anyone else with an opinion?

SCPD

QRT
feds are mainly encrypted so i wouldn't worry much about them. but a digital scanner would be good, NJSP are soon switching to digital, like you said Bayonne is now digital, and many other are either finally trunking up or going digital. but hands down the 396, will pick up what you need.

scannersnstuff

here's my .2 cent's.while i own both the bcd396t and the psr-500,and yes i like them both however; if you just have to hear it,get a psr-500.the 500 is superior to the 396t in both sensitivity for conventional channel's and digital reception.both radio's are feature rich in their own way's.pm me off list if you want and i'll answer any question's you may have.
just a thought.buy from a place where you can get a 30 day satisfaction,money back deal.

ScanOne

Thanks again

It seems like digital is the way to go. I may have to go to Lodi, as suggested above and see the scanners first hand. I appreciate everyones input!

Status
Not open for further replies.