Help to place an FM antenna on a ECOXGEAR EcoBoulder+ GDI-EXBLD810 100 Watt Speaker

bentontool

Hello All,
I recently purchased an ECOXGEAR EcoBoulder+ GDI-EXBLD810 100 Watt Speaker, AKA "party box".

I am using this in my wood and metalworking shop that is very dusty.
I have managed to kill-off a few radio/stereo units/CD players in the recent past, I believe due to the dust & humidity in my shop.

So, I reasoned that a dustproof/waterproof "party box" would be just what I need, but I am having trouble getting radio stations.
We live well out in the countryside, and in a "hollow" as well. We have always had poor radio signal reception.

My question is: how can I attach an FM radio antenna (preferably an external one) to my "party box" that has no provision for an external antenna?

I am reasonably "handy" with metalworking, am set-up for soldering, and have simple electronics testing gear.

Thanks in advance.

RFI-EMI-GUY

You would have to open the unit up and try to find the FM antenna circuit. If there is an FCC certification number, you can look it up on the FCC OET website and look for internal pictures or a schematic. It is doubtful you will find a schematic.

But you can take a piece of wire about 3-4 feet long and bring it near the case and its inside various components to see if you can find a sweet spot. But be careful because unless you connect to the proper location, static electricity will eventually blow it up. I would suggest an "inductive" coupling method where the external antenna radiates into the radio from outside via a closed loop of wire. This may take many turns to be effective. Be sure to use grounded coaxial cable from your outside antenna.

bentontool

You would have to open the unit up and try to find the FM antenna circuit. If there is an FCC certification number, you can look it up on the FCC OET website and look for internal pictures or a schematic. It is doubtful you will find a schematic.

But you can take a piece of wire about 3-4 feet long and bring it near the case and its inside various components to see if you can find a sweet spot. But be careful because unless you connect to the proper location, static electricity will eventually blow it up. I would suggest an "inductive" coupling method where the external antenna radiates into the radio from outside via a closed loop of wire. This may take many turns to be effective. Be sure to use grounded coaxial cable from your outside antenna.
Thank you... will do. I will try the inductive method first with a grounded coax cable. I have lots of it.