Help to program opp

Status
Not open for further replies.

lukaradio

Just moved up to a 396xt, trying to listen to caledon opp, I followed the sticky got the base upper/lower, offset, spacing, etc.. All programmed but I am not sure how to program just a specific talkgroup(s), any further advice would be appreciated.
I've had no problem with other stuff I listen to (prp, York, etc..) but the opp is a little more complicated it seems.

lukaradio

I've read that thanks, I got no problem programming scanners, the problem I have is programming a specific area of OPP (caledon, gta highway, etc..) with not listening to anything else.
So I guess my big problem is what site and talkgroup to enter when programming

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
I've read that thanks, I got no problem programming scanners, the problem I have is programming a specific area of OPP (caledon, gta highway, etc..) with not listening to anything else.
So I guess my big problem is what site and talkgroup to enter when programming

If you live in Caledon you can pick between Brittania, King City, Primrose for sites, dunno if B-fad or Guelph Woodlawn are options.

Caledon is often patched with different talkgroups, the NMR one often enough, maybe a MTO Enforcement talkgroup also.

As for talkgroup, your 396XT allows you to enter in only the Caledon talkgroup on its own to do so. Check the DB here and type it in, I dont remember it by heart.

lukaradio

Is there any database for bell fleetnet zone 1 OR is it just a trial and error learning curve/experience to properly know which sites and/or talkgroups to program for each area you want to listen to.
e.g. When traveling from Toronto to parry sound....what would I need to program for opp?

Edit....sorry for the newb questions, but haven't got my head around what needs to be programmed yet using bell fleetnet/digital scanners. Never found programming a regular trunking scanner confusing like this.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Is there any database for bell fleetnet zone 1 OR is it just a trial and error learning curve/experience to properly know which sites and/or talkgroups to program for each area you want to listen to.
e.g. When traveling from Toronto to parry sound....what would I need to program for opp?

Edit....sorry for the newb questions, but haven't got my head around what needs to be programmed yet using bell fleetnet/digital scanners. Never found programming a regular trunking scanner confusing like this.

If this is your first attempt at programming a 396XT by hand you are literally jumping into the deep end of the pool, blind, without water wings.

Yes, there is a database on this website. Its very easy to find and to read and to figure out what talkgroup(s) you want to monitor. This website has been up for close to 15 years, its main mandate was to provide a database, a lot of this is lost nowadays.

There are WIKI pages devoted to all kinds of information, there are even a few Fleetnet specific towers with talkgroups that normally affiliate with said tower.

Check it out, see if your scanner can hear the control channels of the towers you wish to enter in, the map that MCUIPA suggested is helpful.

Use common sense, unless you live reasonably near Caledon you will not be able to monitor the OPP Caledon units.

And finally, If you hear "1 Sierra" units then you have accomplished what you wanted to accomplish.

lukaradio

Maybe I worded my question wrong, I got no worries about programming a scanner (I think I might still have my old Haruteq books collecting dust), even this 396xt is straight forward enough to understand sites, systems, groups, etc.. I guess my question should have been "what" do I program, it's easy enough to punch a bunch of site frequencies in but I'm just not sure what talk groups cover what areas (when it doesn't easily / specifically say). Call me impatient but I would rather ID Scan over Search.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Caledon is 1OPS40. You can look that up in the Bell Mobility Radio Fleetnet Zone 1 http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=861. The Uniden Decimal code for 1OPS40 is 8688.

You've got several choices for towers near you. With the map above, you should be able to pick a few towers close by.

Listen for 1Sierra units. As somebody else has already mentioned, Caledon is often patched with another OPP Detachment, Ministry of Natural Resources or MTO Enforcement channel.

If you're near Bolton, you can always try this frequency from the conventional entries for Peel:

412.46250 RM107.2 PLOPP BoltonOPP Rebroadcast - 1OPS40 FMN Law Dispatch

spaztic_typer

If you have the programming capabilities to download from this site, download all the District 1 OPP into your scanner. Caledon moves all over the place along with most of the OPP. I have the same troubles and thats what I did. It's way easier! Also try thr free version of PSREdit 500. Do you have a cable to download with? You'll need one of those too. Way easier then the frustration of manually doing it, I take it you live in the Caledon area?

Last edited:

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
If you have the programming capabilities to download from this site, download all the District 1 OPP into your scanner. Caledon moves all over the place along with most of the OPP.

You must be referring to Zone 1. 1 District hasn't existed in many, many years.

lukaradio

Caledon is 1OPS40. You can look that up in the Bell Mobility Radio Fleetnet Zone 1 Bell FleetNet - Ontario Provincial Government Zone 1 Trunking System, Southwest Zone, Ontario - Scanner Frequencies. The Uniden Decimal code for 1OPS40 is 8688.

You've got several choices for towers near you. With the map above, you should be able to pick a few towers close by.

Listen for 1Sierra units. As somebody else has already mentioned, Caledon is often patched with another OPP Detachment, Ministry of Natural Resources or MTO Enforcement channel.

If you're near Bolton, you can always try this frequency from the conventional entries for Peel:

412.46250 RM107.2 PLOPP BoltonOPP Rebroadcast - 1OPS40 FMN Law Dispatch

If I sit and listen to the conventional channel 412.46250 will I miss hearing anything (if I want to only hear around Bolton/Caledon)?
and/or what exactly is a "rebroadcast".

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
If I sit and listen to the conventional channel 412.46250 will I miss hearing anything (if I want to only hear around Bolton/Caledon)?
and/or what exactly is a "rebroadcast".

Have you entered this frequency into your scanner? What have you heard? 1 Sierra units?

OPP cruisers have repeaters in their cars. If you are reasonably close by to a OPP unit, within a few KM's you should be able to hear the activity on the talkgroups they use.

I.E. If a OPP cruiser is close to my apartment, I will hear the activity on one of the repeater frequencies on my scanner, all the activity on that talkgroup.

But you spent a great deal of $ on a scanner that is designed for you to utilize and program in for fleetnet, so, figure out the towers and enter in the talkgroups that people have mentioned that you will hear Caledon units.

lukaradio

I do hear Sierra units.
Just wasn`t sure if I was missing anything else by just sitting on the rebroadcast channel?
So if I`m only interested in local Bolton/Caledon then this one channel will be ok? I actually just had the idea of utilizing a old Bearcat non trunking unit......and leaving my other digital radios seperate for other listening.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
I do hear Sierra units.
Just wasn`t sure if I was missing anything else by just sitting on the rebroadcast channel?
So if I`m only interested in local Bolton/Caledon then this one channel will be ok? I actually just had the idea of utilizing a old Bearcat non trunking unit......and leaving my other digital radios seperate for other listening.

If you spent $500 on a 396XT you might as well get the most out of it.

I wouldnt blame you if you used an older scanner to focus on Caledon activity, to be on the safe side why dont you monitor the conventional frequency and park your 396XT on the Caledon talkgroup.

It also makes sense to monitor the OPP detachments that border you, activity doesnt stop at city limits.

Radar62

I have a BD396T in which i can't seem to get Brockville opp what so ever, still trying to figure out LCN & ID #'S any steps in that part?

Status
Not open for further replies.