Help With Bnc Connector

Status
Not open for further replies.

lugoffman

Can someone tell me how to install a new bnc connector for my mag mount.
The original one I had broke , so what I did was cut that one off and went over to radio shack and got one that you stick the coax in a twist on , well I twisted it on , put the wire in the little hole and then twisted it on.
Now to see if it worked I took another radio I got and programed the same frequency in that my radio that I'm using the mag mount on , and when the frequency became active I get nothing out of it .

I guess my questions are did i get the right connector for the job ? and if there is a better connector for this job can someone send me a link to buy one ?

Here is how I instaled it and it wont work
1. I took a knife and spliced the black wire
2. Then I cut the braided wires on the inside off
3. then I spliced the white wire thats in the middle of the cable off and twisted the wire that was in the white plastic stuff and stuck it in the hole in the bnc connector and twisted it on and I get nothing

Now when sticking the wire in the little hole I don't think it is going in the hole all the way cause it is real tight and hard to get in the hole thats why I am thinking I got the wrong connector but I am not for sure

Here is a link to the type of connector I'm working with , now can someone tell me if this is the right one or not and maybe give me a few pointers on how to fix it the right way I dont care if I got to go buy another connector I just want to get it back working and fixed right THANKS---- JASON
http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...&cp=2032058.2032231.2032281&parentPage=family

Last edited:

swstow

Premium Subscriber
find a local radio shop their is a special tool for clamping and
u need both the core and the wrap done correctly or nothing will work right

lugoffman

find a local radio shop their is a special tool for clamping and
u need both the core and the wrap done correctly or nothing will work right

Well thats the thing the only one I know of is to far to drive to and my wife just had a baby and I really wanted to try to save money and try to do it my self plus get the learning experiance from it ( got to have them diapers thats why I'm up now babys hungry LOL !! ) but if I can't figure it out I will go that extra mile but for now maybe I can get a few pointers LOL !!!!

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
If your center conductor on your cable is stranded, then the twist-on style won't work. Those are meant for solid center conductor cables.

I don't think Radio Shack sells crimp-on or solder BNC connectors, but those are the ones you need.

lugoffman

I didn't like that Connector and I have the tools, now on most of my 97's and 164/300's this is the one I put on, it takes the load of the BNC and about 2mins and she's on, it's $5.00 at RS, for RG58/LMR200/RG6, I have 2 on some LMR-400 on the back of the GRE400's, now that took some work

Solderless Right-Angle Male BNC Plug
http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...1.2032281&parentPage=family&parentPage=family

How do I get that to work cause i really don't know what I am doing now this one will work with the rg-58 a/u right cause in the pic it looks like there is all ready a cable connected to that bnc and if so what type of tools do I need for the job ? also my wires are stranded

ReCall

No work at all, take the little boot off the back, slide it on to the coax 1st, open the Y thats on the top and you will see just now it go's on, just crimp the the two small ends around the braided, center to the screw, put the Y back on. That's it.

lugoffman

radio shack has a different connector made for stranded center coax.
http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...&cp=2032058.2032231.2032282&parentPage=family

just make sure the plastic comes off so the screw makes contact with the sheild.

Eric Burris

Hey thanks !!!! this is what I think I'm looking for I am going to go get this one and try it out also this one would be good for me when I install my other mount

Also thnaks everyone for helping me out with this

blueangel-eric

Feed Provider
Hey thanks !!!! this is what I think I'm looking for I am going to go get this one and try it out also this one would be good for me when I install my other mount

Also thnaks everyone for helping me out with this

you're most certianly welcome!!! I had that problem before. I dont' like radio shacks stuff much but i love those fast and easy connectors. if a crimp on connection craps out then you can't reuse the connector but those easy connectors can be taken off and shorted or bad wires fixed and put back on.

Eric Burris

Status
Not open for further replies.