Help with GMRS

Status
Not open for further replies.

traumacop

Premium Subscriber
Don't knock it.

The best way to get a customer service rep is dial in their illegal comms. on FRS/GMRS/MURS and start asking for help.

Someone usually shows up promptly, especially when it is my son asking where the Spiderman stuff is.

trace1

traumacop said:
The best way to get a customer service rep is dial in their illegal comms. on FRS/GMRS/MURS and start asking for help.

Now that’s funny, may have to try that.

Speaking of "illegals"... well GMRS Pirates that is, there is an industrial business that is in close vicinity of where I live. I know that they are using some of the FRS frequencies but I think somebody over there may be coming up on the GMRS ones. I’m going to be monitoring a little more closely and if I find out to be true and find that they haven’t been Grandfathered into this service I may contact them via my GMRS radios and ask them why. If I get any grief from them I’ll just politely inform them that I’ll be forwarding my findings to the FCC.

May get interesting around here over the next several days or weeks but I’ll try to post back here what’s happening if anything comes from it.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Regarding business use on gmrs....

I too,have a local "Bennigans" who insists on using 462.725 pl.241.8 in spite
of a couple attempts to "educate" them.
SOLUTION: email a copy of the rules regarding business use with specifics being highlighted in red as well as penalties to management of said company!
OR....Nah, a 1000hz. tone tx'ed on their transmissions would be illegal.....right??!

trace1

Update...

Well it turns out not to be the industrial business as I have heard additional transmissions. It sounded like an adult male and a child talking, no call signs were given but they were definitely on 462.7250.

Still could be "Pirates" though I guess, I may just try to contact them next time I hear them and politely inform them of the FCC regulations just to see what happens. Not really going to let it bother me too much though, now if it had been that business I’d certainly taken a little more aggressive action.

Last edited:

car2back

trace1 said:
I know that they are using some of the FRS frequencies but I think somebody over there may be coming up on the GMRS ones. I’m going to be monitoring a little more closely and if I find out to be true and find that they haven’t been Grandfathered into this service I may contact them via my GMRS radios and ask them why. If I get any grief from them I’ll just politely inform them that I’ll be forwarding my findings to the FCC.

Kinda reminds me of the the "concerned citizen" that called the police on a friend of mine for giving away free puppies in a business parking lot in Tulsa, OK b/c they were in violation of a city ordinace (they didn't have a vendor's liscense). :roll:

I know I have better things to do with my time.

rattlerbb01

TX/LA Database Admin
Database Admin
phil_smith said:
Kinda reminds me of the the "concerned citizen" that called the police on a friend of mine for giving away free puppies in a business parking lot in Tulsa, OK b/c they were in violation of a city ordinace (they didn't have a vendor's liscense). :roll:

I know I have better things to do with my time.

Thank you. It may be illegal, but they are not interfering with anybody. There are what, 22 channels with 38 tones each, 83 more if DPL is available? If it bothers you, find another channel. If you were using it first, then ask them to take another channel. The FCC probably doesn't really want to bother with a father and his kid keeping in touch.
Oh yeah, and when you buy the radios there is a nice little sticker on the box that reads the law plainly. If they don't choose to heed it, then they aren't gonna listen to a citizen with another radio.

Last edited:

traumacop

Premium Subscriber
I don't know of any business that will make an announcement for all of its employees holding a radio to move to another channel. I don't go looking for trouble, but if I am talking on a freq. and hear a non-licensed group interfering, I give them a brief explanation of the rules and file a complaint if they don't want to listen.

Anyone using radio for a business operation, I don't care how small, needs to consult with a radio vendor and file for a license and buy appropriate equipment. Communication with my son is no less important than communication with my crews during a fire and I don't want some unlicensed group causing interference.

I love the amusement parks that rent the radios in bulk amounts to patrons who have no idea what they are using not to mention don't carry a license.

Status
Not open for further replies.