Help with HackRFOne Portapack H2

mfn002

Premium Subscriber
I recently acquired a HackRFOne Portapack H2 with Mayhem. Since the unit was not shipped with an SD card, I bought a blank one. I formatted the card and uploaded all the files. However, the Portapack will not "see" any of the files on the SD card and says that the card is empty. I ran a test on the SD card using the Debug function on the Portapack. It gave me an error saying "Fail: File Open Write". What's going on?

Last edited:

dickie757

Wired
Have never used that device, but typically, you need to burn the image onto the sdcard. I use a program called balena etcher. Have used it many times for raspberry pi images. You usually dont extract it. Keep it as is from the download.

mfn002

Premium Subscriber
When I looked it up online, there was no indication that I needed to "burn" anything. The official GitHub page for Portapack seemed to indicate that all you had to do was transfer the Mayhem files onto the card, as long as the card was formatted as FAT32, which I re-formatted mine as. Again, there was no real indication that I had to do anything to the card other than ensure that it was formatted as FAT32. Maybe the page assumed that it had already been burned, but despite reading and re-reading the section on the SD card, I couldn't find anything about that. It simply told you to insert a (blank) FAT32-formatted SD card, download and unzip the files, and then transfer them over to the card.

Last edited:

dickie757

Wired
You followed this instruction?

I got that from here:

mfn002

Premium Subscriber
That's exactly where I got my info.

I have pretty much zero experience with coding, so the bottom link is just gibberish to me.