Help with Local Sheriff Listening

Status
Not open for further replies.

kchaney56

Premium Subscriber
Hello:

My local sheriff has gone from FM to NFM according to Radioreference.com, this is how it used to work:
1718833994177.png
When this stopped working I went back to Radioreference.com and things had been changed to this:

1718834046675.png
1718834064441.png
With these settings I get nothing, I can see the transmit but no sound. Can you offer me any ideas? This is from Chirp.

Thanks

Kevin Chaney

kchaney56

Premium Subscriber
Well if they did that it would mean no more listening. I wish all departments were forbidden from hiding their traffic. We pay their bills and they work for us.

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
I've been listening for an hour in Carrier squelch and not heard anything.... Sorry, being able to listen on public safety is a privilege not a right soon most of middle TN will be Encrypted..

jpryor

WCSO and WEMA did move to P25 digital on all their remaining repeaters this past week. Updates submitted to DB, not yet posted, see related thread. WEMA repeaters are in the clear, WCSO channel 1 in the clear, however WCSO channel 2/3 repeaters are encrypted.

For the main 155.7900 WCSO channel 1, you can still listen, now requires a P25 digital capable radio/scanner.

kchaney56

Premium Subscriber
I've been listening for an hour in Carrier squelch and not heard anything.... Sorry, being able to listen on public safety is a privilege not a right soon most of middle TN will be Encrypted..
Listening in NOT a priveledge it is a Right and when we let our departments hide behind digital encrypted walls all they "do for us on our dime" then the corruption and abuse start. I worked in Law Enforcement for 27 years and have seen it happen. When they know we can no longer monitor them things get lax and attitudes change.

kchaney56

Premium Subscriber
WCSO and WEMA did move to P25 digital on all their remaining repeaters this past week. Updates submitted to DB, not yet posted, see related thread. WEMA repeaters are in the clear, WCSO channel 1 in the clear, however WCSO channel 2/3 repeaters are encrypted.

For the main 155.7900 WCSO channel 1, you can still listen, now requires a P25 digital capable radio/scanner.
Thanks for the info. This was the reason I got in to radio and now it is gone.

kchaney56

Premium Subscriber
You can still listen, you just need a digital scanner (assuming they haven't gone encrypted).
Bill
Thanks, I understand that but that means buying yet another piece of expensive equipment, I just go my handheld and base station so my budget is going to have to take time to recover.

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
Listening in NOT a priveledge it is a Right and when we let our departments hide behind digital encrypted walls all they "do for us on our dime" then the corruption and abuse start. I worked in Law Enforcement for 27 years and have seen it happen. When they know we can no longer monitor them things get lax and attitudes change.
If you were in LE for 27 years you would know that the bad guys have scanner apps and officer safety is more important that your hard feelings

scanningisfun

Eh. . .sensitive calls can be dispatched via MCT. Investigations of a more sensitive nature are already encrypted or off air using cell phones / apps. Routine dispatch in the clear isn’t as much of an ‘officer safety’ issue as it’s made out to be. (Traffic stops and routine calls aren’t a matter of national security). Feeds aren’t real time. If they do encrypt, just make monthly FOIA requests for radio traffic / CAD call dumps. If you really want to tickle a nerve you could request CAD message dumps. 🫢

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
Thanks, I understand that but that means buying yet another piece of expensive equipment, I just go my handheld and base station so my budget is going to have to take time to recover.
You can sell the analog scanners and put the $$$$ toward a digi scanner. You can be like a lot of us where almost all LE is encrypted and move off into another area of scanning. I have found ATC scanning pretty dang interesting. Who knew the number of commercial jets that have problems everyday...aborted take offs, smoke in the cabin, etc.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber

Or buying a $35 SDR dongle and learning to use the free software available on a computer, selling your handheld and base would more than cover it.

kchaney56

Premium Subscriber
If you were in LE for 27 years you would know that the bad guys have scanner apps and officer safety is more important that your hard feelings
"Eh. . .sensitive calls can be dispatched via MCT. Investigations of a more sensitive nature are already encrypted or off air using cell phones / apps. Routine dispatch in the clear isn’t as much of an ‘officer safety’ issue as it’s made out to be. (Traffic stops and routine calls aren’t a matter of national security). "

Eh. . .sensitive calls can be dispatched via MCT. Investigations of a more sensitive nature are already encrypted or off air using cell phones / apps. Routine dispatch in the clear isn’t as much of an ‘officer safety’ issue as it’s made out to be. (Traffic stops and routine calls aren’t a matter of national security). Feeds aren’t real time. If they do encrypt, just make monthly FOIA requests for radio traffic / CAD call dumps. If you really want to tickle a nerve you could request CAD message dumps. 🫢
For a while I used to be the person that fulfilled the requests for CAD message dumps at my agency.:p

kchaney56, i sent a PM to you, look at the top right of this page.
Got it, thank you again. I wish I had gotten in radio many years ago. I had friends who exposed me to it but I was too busy with sports.

kchaney56

Premium Subscriber

Thanks for the info. I know the sheriff of Wilson county so I will talk to him about getting access, if he can offer that, next time I see him.

K3HY

Premium Subscriber
Bad guys don't even need scanners. All they need is their favorite bad cop to alert them via cell phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.