• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Help with P7100IP

Status
Not open for further replies.

K5TYN01

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone out there know how to configure a P7100ip to monitor a Motorola P25 Trunk System without the system key? All I want is to monitor. My radio has the features to monitor Pro-Voice, P25 Convetional, and P25 Trunking. Seems that there is a problem with monitoring a BEE00 system with these radios without a system key.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Post moved to it's own thread instead of resurrecting a 6 year old thread.

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
This is an issue starting with v11 or 12 of RPM. Version 10 and earlier will do what you want except for a few systems that were locked down earlier.
There are threads here and I think over at p25.ca that discuss this.

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
Your question falls neatly into that fuzzy area in my knowledge where I am not certain what the correct answer is. But I'll give it a shot.

P25 phase 1 is NOT the same data format when comparing Harris (whatever....) and Motorola radios.

I BELIEVE that the correct answer is "What you seek is not possible.".

Phase 2 is a different story. All P25 Phase 2 equipment is interoperable regardless of vendor.

But P25 phase 1 trunking is still vendor-specific.

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
Your question falls neatly into that fuzzy area in my knowledge where I am not certain what the correct answer is. But I'll give it a shot.

P25 phase 1 is NOT the same data format when comparing Harris (whatever....) and Motorola radios.

Phase 2 is a different story. All P25 Phase 2 equipment is interoperable regardless of vendor.

No. It is quite possible. I speak from first hand experience.
It has nothing to do with compatibility. Phase 1 P25 trunking is standard. There are vendor specific "add ons", but basic trunking is basic trunking.
Based on the OP's question, it appears he using a very new version of RPM, or programming one of the very few SysIDs that were restricted earlier on.

Last edited:

riveter

Premium Subscriber

Sorry Elroy, it's not. Not to step on you (I do hope you understand my intent), but just to correct the misconception: the only functional difference between Phase I and Phase II is TDMA voice traffic using DQPSK, rather than FDMA traffic using CQPSK or C4FM.

The Project 25 protocols are exactly the same between the two. The only thing that defines any difference between a Phase I system and a Phase II system is whether the system is set up to use any channels in TDMA mode. Other than that, the IP backhaul is identical, and the RF-side CAI traffic is exactly the same. All data and voice packets are encapsulated the same.

As has been shown in many locations, a Harris radio will work on a Moto 7.x system in FDMA or TDMA modes when properly programmed and vice versa.

I haven't worked much with RPM, but it uses a very different method of restricting access to systems in programming than Moto CPS does, and is quite harsh about it (especially the new versions like Thunderknight said). I think it provides an excellent security feature, but can make situations like this a royal pain.

kb4cvn

Silent Key
Nowhere near a paved road, away from the maddening
Harris radios can be programmed onto Moto (or other) P-25 Phase-1 systems without issue. No system key ever required, as Harris radios prior to RPM R12a did not even support the system key concept.

Part of what I did the last few years before I retired was to assist the Sales Team on demos of Harris equipment on non-Harris P-25 systems. I would quietly arrive a few days ahead of the scheduled demo date, passively (and discreetly !!!) work-out the required programming for the prospective customer’s system, and verify the data and programming by receive only operation.

Once the Sales Team arrived, and we had written permission to program radios onto the system, with valid radio LID’s and which talkgroups are authorized for the visit.

From that, I would update my previously reverse-engineered programming file, program the radio(s) with valid ID info, and hand them off to the customer and Sale folks.

Several years ago, there was produced an official document on how to program radios onto Moto systems. Done in a ‘cookbook’ format, to walk someone through the process, were the only information know on the target system is the licensed frequencies.

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
Thanks for clearing up my own misconceptions about that.

Since I sold off my P7300 which had P25 P1 trunking in it, and my M7300 does not have that feature (but it does have phase 2) then when my county switches to P25 phase 1 as an interim step toward a phase 2 system, then apparently I DO have options for using an XTS5000 to listen in. Which is just what I'd want to do. For now, the system is still EDACS. No Motorola monitoring solution for that.

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
Harris radios can be programmed onto Moto (or other) P-25 Phase-1 systems without issue. No system key ever required, as Harris radios prior to RPM R12a did not even support the system key concept.

Based on comments over on communications.support (p25.ca), a few large (e.g. statewide) systems had key restrictions in RPM before R11/R12. This was done to get Harris subscribers approved on said system. But it seems to definitely have been the exception rather than the rule.
Link
http://communications.support/threads/10354-Harris-restricted-WACN-and-System-ID-pairings
Given the multiple posts, I'll assume it is correct, but I've never run into it in this area.

K5TYN01

Premium Subscriber
I'm just curious if anyone could possibly program my radio to monitor 2 P25 systems. Nothing fancy. I aleady have the frequencies and talkgroups programmed into the radio. Along with other systems but I only want my radio to monitor the 2 systems.

Radioman96p71

Feed Provider
Straight from RPM, these systems you CANNOT program with RPM 10+
BEE07:
40F Minnesota ARMER

BEE00:
1BD Louisiana LWIN
1A7 Texas TXWARN
348 Ohio MARCS
2A5 Tennessee TACN
188 Arkansas AWIN

BEE09:
13E Texas/Austin GATRRS

Some of them are radio-specific it seems, you can program a P7300 but not a Unity. No idea why that is the case, maybe a bug in the code.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
This used to be the rule of thumb I used... Not sure if it's still 100% accurate or not...

For Programmer... the personality revision minus 14 = programmer revision. IE a radio with PER VER 31 means it was programmed with Programmer R17

For RPM things are a litte different. Personality version 50 means RPM v1. My radio was done with RPM 10B07 and it's version 69...

Status
Not open for further replies.