BCD436HP/BCD536HP: Help with priority scanning

Status
Not open for further replies.

a23051coug

Can someone please help me understand how to scan both a conventional channels and digital trunked channels. I'm getting dizzy reading and trying to understand the different types of priority scanning. I have the channels set for priority but it doesn't seem like the priority is working as I'm missing out on a priority channel. I can receive it on another scanner but my scanner keeps scanning and doesn't jump to it. Thanks

SDavis90

Priority only works on conventional. By that I mean, if you are scanning both conventional and trunked, it will not jump to priority channels in the trunked system while monitoring a conventional channel. Only if you are within the trunked system, and monitoring the control channel of the system will it jump over to your priority channel you assigned within the trunked system. Hope that makes sense. Even then, the administrator of the trunked system had to give that talkgroup a priority assignment for the scanner to recognize.
I think this is right. Someone please correct me if I have it wrong.
If scanning trunking and you have conventional channels in priority, then it will pause, leaving the trunked system and hit the channel based on interval set.
Hard to explain this stuff. Hope this helps.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Even then, the administrator of the trunked system had to give that talkgroup a priority assignment for the scanner to recognize.

I don't believe that's the case. On my 536, I have Priority ID Scan On. I have assigned certain talkgroups to P-Ch On in Sentinel, even those I'm sure would not be considered as priority TGs by the system administrator. If the scanner has locked on a non-priority TG, it will go to the priority TG if a transmission occurs.

Here's something I'm uncertain of. If there are multiple priority on TGs, the one with "super priority" is based on order of creation in the programming. But again on this part I could be mistaken.

Analogrules

I just found this posting. I am having the same issue. Priority on conventional frequencies work perfectly. However, I just assigned a talkgroup channel as another priority and it seems like it was useless. I guess if I am also scanning conventional frequencies, it is pointless.

mitbr

I just found this posting. I am having the same issue. Priority on conventional frequencies work perfectly. However, I just assigned a talkgroup channel as another priority and it seems like it was useless. I guess if I am also scanning conventional frequencies, it is pointless.

If you are stopped on a conventional channel and have another conventional channel set as a priority the scanner will select the priority channel when that channel has activity regardless of the non priority conventional channels. The scanner will not select the priority talkgroup you set unless it reads the data channel of that trunked system . The id priority scan on a trunked system will not interrupt the non priority talkgroup it simply selects the priority talkgroup as a priority when no other activity takes place.
Tim

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
The id priority scan on a trunked system will not interrupt the non priority talkgroup it simply selects the priority talkgroup as a priority when no other activity takes place.

Also when activity ceases on a talkgroup and the scanner goes back to monitoring the control channel, it's possible that multiple other talkgroups can also be active. The priority feature will guide the scanner to choose which of these the scanner goes to next. (As in choosing a priority talkgroup over a non priority talkgroup).

Yes there is a definite difference in how priority functions in trunked systems when compared to conventional systems. The "pre-emption" of channels on conventional isn't there on trunked (usually).

Status
Not open for further replies.