Help with WSP

Status
Not open for further replies.

ffemt613

I know there have been several posts about WSP on the forums, and I'll admit i havent been able to keep up on all the updates so I apologize if this is deja vu.

I live on Whidbey Island, specifically in Oak Harbor. I have a 536HP programmed with JWIN, WSPDOT, and WSP conventional with the 155."xxx" with the NACs programmed... (programmed the 536HP with Sentinel, with an updated database.)

So far, I have not heard anything from WSP on any of these systems. With JWIN, I removed all the non-Washington State sites that are listed.

Is there anything Im doing wrong, or have any suggestions?

Thanks!

b1100mac

Premium Member
Premium Subscriber
As for JIWN I have all frequencies programmed and have only heard Olympia from my location in Tacoma, so I can't verify what districts are even using that system. I asked a couple of my trooper buddies if they use theJIWN radio systen and they both said "what, never heard of it" The WSDOT system is only set up currently for Seattle, Tacoma, and Bremerton , However only Seattle is using it at this time. All of the rest of the state is on conventional p25 or The old FM channels. Be sure you have all of the district 7 conventional channels, (7) both p25 w/NAC's and the FM's with PL's PLUS statewide freq (155.970) as some outlying areas are using it for main dispatch until the state doe's more upgrading. As i have stated earlier, it would not hurt to throw in the 2 statewide c2c freq's also,,, and lastly i agree with '29 above, antenna, antenna, antenna...mac

jparks29

John McClane
Because it's a trunked system, and DOJ locked the WSP talkgroups to the tower in the area they're on, if you're on the tower(s) in Thurston county, you will only hear Thurston TGs, if you're on the KC tower(s) you'll only hear KC, etc.

I would set the NAC to F7E, in case other NACs are being used.....F7E is like a digital squelch, it will open on any valid P25 signal.

As far as troopers knowing what they're using, I can guarantee they won't.. They're not radio guys.. Someone hands them a radio and says 'channel 1 is this, channel 2 is this (etc) press this if you wanna talk, here is how you change channels, in an emergency hit this'.... (and no, I'm not kidding, I've had to do it a LOT...)...

They WILL say 'the new system sucks' or similar, because new radio, or new programming = 'new system' to them, but they won't know the ins/outs/whys/whats, so talking to a trooper is almost useless...

I had a trooper with an antenna mounted on his fender, the NMO mount wants to be flush with the panel, but because the panel is angled, the entire antenna is angled. Normally the whip is straightened at the point where it meets the mount, but in this case, it wasn't, and with the antenna angled about 20ish degrees, essentially pointing the radiating element into the ground and into the sky.....of course signal was gonna be crap... I talked to the trooper who had the car, and it was like talking greek to him.. said it came that way and didn't wanna mess with it, but complained it didn't work.hahaah..

If you look at the pic, you'll see the whip is straight, but the mount is angled out... welll. if you don't straighten the whip.... it follows the angle of the mount and you talk into the ground, and into space, heh...

Attachments

• angleantenna.jpg
    angleantenna.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 360

3King

Premium Subscriber
Olympia Wsp

I live in castle rock wa and have been able to receive Olympia Wsp on my PSR 500 crystal clear and I hadn't been monitoring them in a while and yesterday I decided to listen in and heard nothing all day. What is happening with their frequency? I have the p25 frequency 154.920 and get nothing on it.is there something I can change to receive it again.

b1100mac

Premium Member
Premium Subscriber
As discussed earlier, and possibly even on another thread, WSP digital P-25 conventional is very location specific.
If I go out in my backyard here in Tacoma, I can literally see the tower at District one headquarters for WSP which is where Olympia area is dispatched from. Ironically because of the way the system and rebroadcast sites are set up I cannot hear any of those transmissions unless I go toward Olympia, and I was there today and heard all of the traffic on my G5. As soon as I got to the Pierce/Thurston county line coming home, Olympia went away and I could start hearing Tacoma.
It is almost like a line in the sand. A test for you would be to try receiving Chehalis WSP at your location in Castlerock, (which is dispatched from Kelso no less) and if you can hear them on the local Chehalis re-broadcast sites, I would almost bet Olympia is an antenna issue for you. Castlerock is down in a bit of a hole terrain wise, so you might need to get an antenna high enough to hit the Olympia rebroadcast sites.

3King

Premium Subscriber
Wsp

Oh yeah I can get Kelso and chehalis Wsp fine. I have an antenna on my roof, this whole thing is just weird how I was receiving OLY just fine and I decided to monitor my local area only for awhile and then I decided I wanted to listen to OLY and couldn't get anything.

b1100mac

Premium Member
Premium Subscriber
I don't know if you get the JIWN system on your radio, but a couple weeks ago I heard Olympia and Olympia only on that system on one of my radios, so you might try that. Possibly they are testing or switching back-and-forth or who knows what. Honestly, the WSP radio system has to be the most helter-skelter system in the country. I don't even think they know what they have or how to use it.

b1100mac

Premium Member
Premium Subscriber
It is the justice integrated wireless network, it is an entire system located in the database under Thurston County, there is a site that is specific for Olympia, and you should only need the top three or four talk groups for Olympia to test it

3King

Premium Subscriber
Mac

Ok weird thing here, I decided to program Tacoma Wsp in my psr500 and I can receive their frequency perfectly fine here in castle rock ha. I'm scratching my head even more now. Still not hearing OLY

3King

Premium Subscriber
JIWN

171.9875 covers all of D5, only thing I hate about it is it's a federal frequency so u will hear a lot of jibberish as well

3King

Premium Subscriber
You will, trust me. Probably won't hear anything tonight. U will quite a bit during the week though. Give it time

3King

Premium Subscriber
I live in castle rock wa and I hear that frequency all the time. I have a PSR 500 and have that channel programmed on a channel I can enable and disable. I enable and if I hear good traffic I leave the channel on and if I start hearing scramble I disable the channel. If u have a radio that u can program that frequency to where u can enable and disable channels I would do that with that frequency

bears3312

i live in castle rock wa and i hear that frequency all the time. I have a psr 500 and have that channel programmed on a channel i can enable and disable. I enable and if i hear good traffic i leave the channel on and if i start hearing scramble i disable the channel. If u have a radio that u can program that frequency to where u can enable and disable channels i would do that with that frequency

i have two digital 396xt 651 rs i think i can do that . I dont work tomorrow ill be montoring thought
bears3312

Status
Not open for further replies.