• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

HELP

Cplchaos

There is a Person on here that I am hoping responds due to the clarity in his / her posts.

I have a 2020 Nissan Titan XD pro 4 X with a panoramic sun/moon roof, I recently installed a CB radio a high power radio. I have hooked up the hot wire to the battery, the ground wire to the chassis where the negative terminal of the battery connects. I have a Sirio Performer 5000 mag mount antenna, with rg58 factory cable. since I have hooked the radio up I can not transmit ( one out going call to Waco TX from NY) modulation meter does not move while transmitting, power meter moves while attempting to transmit, no return calls.

Take the radio out of the truck test it on a bench performs great, just like it was designed to do.

Re install the radio, tune antenna, SWR 1.2 / 1.5 key the mic no modulation, check SWR again 1.9 to 2.5 on 1 and 3 or higher on 40. Put the radio its self on SWR and key the mic, then touch the radio and the meter on the radio moves.

I have the mag mount on top of the cab behind the sun roof, the mag mount is grounded to the bed of the pickup. whip is 61 1/2"

Someone help a devildog out please.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
If it works on the bench and not in the truck, go over the power connections and antenna connection with a fine tooth comb. The fact the second time around the swr was higher clearly indicates something specific to the vechile.

niceguy71

I don't know enough to help. but I'm watching to see what I can learn.

I'm just a little confused that you said the mag mount is grounded to the bed of the pick-up ???? looking at the Siro 5000 performer with mag mount I don't understand how or why you did that??? ...did you put a wire a to the mag mound?... you must have meant pick up cab grounded to the bed?

you said ....Put the radio its self on SWR .... are you using two different swr meters? or just the SWR in the radio?

pictures help.... I'm sure someone will see something off
good luck

Cplchaos

If it works on the bench and not in the truck, go over the power connections and antenna connection with a fine tooth comb. The fact the second time around the swr was higher clearly indicates something specific to the vechile.
There is a Show / Swap meet this Saturday at the VFW in Palmyra, I plan on going for some insight on this situation. I am new to all of this stuff other than using the equipment. If you are available stop by I could use some extra input. Saturday 0600 to noon.

Cplchaos

I don't know enough to help. but I'm watching to see what I can learn.

I'm just a little confused that you said the mag mount is grounded to the bed of the pick-up ???? looking at the Siro 5000 performer with mag mount I don't understand how or why you did that??? ...did you put a wire a to the mag mound?... you must have meant pick up cab grounded to the bed?

you said ....Put the radio its self on SWR .... are you using two different swr meters? or just the SWR in the radio?

pictures help.... I'm sure someone will see something off
good luck

I was told that one issue might me not having enough Ground plane due to the large glass window in the roof of the truck. I attached the upper portion of the sirio to a larger metal Mag mount (which is aluminum) and grounded that to my Truck. Hopefully that makes sense.

Cplchaos

In reference to my HELP thread,

I will be at a show this weekend trying to find help with my previously posted message. if there is anyone in the Finger Lakes area that might want to stop by and give some advice, see if they can solve the issue, any help would be greatly appreciated.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
If you are available stop by I could use some extra input. Saturday 0600 to noon.

Appreciate the invite but I am a good 6 hours away.

1713366508233.png

I was told that one issue might me not having enough Ground plane due to the large glass window in the roof of the truck.
What happens if you stick the antenna somewhere other than the roof? Like top of front fender?

I attached the upper portion of the sirio to a larger metal Mag mount (which is aluminum) and grounded that to my Truck.

Larger metal mag mount (which is aluminum)? Aluminum is non ferrous and will not bond to a magnet. Do you have a pic explaining it better?

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner, RRDB & Google-fu ninja 4 hire
Premium Subscriber
There is a Person on here that I am hoping responds due to the clarity in his / her posts.
You know you can always tag them in a post (enter @ symbol then their username as in @Whiskey3JMC, it'll show up as an alert notification for that user that they were tagged) or message them directly if you're looking for one particular user's input...

Last edited:

slowmover

Radio is fine, but not when connected to antenna itself mounted on the vehicle?

If coax gets pinched hard - once - it may not ever again work well.

If coax is loose at its antenna connection, the system will not work well.

Coax is where I’d be looking.

Excellent antenna choice (gave one to my son; run a pair on my big truck), there are videos and more info linked in other threads.

Do a run-through of all functions. CB isn’t plug n’ play. There are procedures and some tools that need employment.

See if you can’t eliminate some stuff and that’ll help those wanting to help you. Sounded to me like a good start:

More advanced for as you go along. My devil dog son went from CB jockey to first steps with Amateur licensing. The problem-solving gets addictive:

Mobile Installation Bible

Last edited:

merlin

I was told that one issue might me not having enough Ground plane due to the large glass window in the roof of the truck. I attached the upper portion of the sirio to a larger metal Mag mount (which is aluminum) and grounded that to my Truck. Hopefully that makes sense.
From an RF point, the whole vehicle is the groundplane. Going from a GMC pickup to a Nissan Z with sun roof made no difference at all.
That was with Wilson 1000M mag mount. Less than 1.5:1 on both vehicles.

Last edited:

slowmover

IMG_4038.jpeg

IMG_1394.jpeg

When I get passed by the latter while thundering down the road in the former and we both key up, you can bet EVERYONE wants to know about the antenna once they’re corrected, that, it ain’t the radio.

Power is overrated. Clarity is King.

1989 = A Ranger and a Wilson.

2024 = A President George 2 + a SIRIO.

Last edited:

merlin

Amost sounds to me like a common mode problem. RF wiping out the mic
then touch the radio and the meter on the radio moves
Use the shortest path to ground from the radio grounding the radio itself including the negative power.
Check your PL-259 connectors and coax for open circuits.

Cplchaos

You know you can always tag them in a post (enter @ symbol then their username as in @Whiskey3JMC, it'll show up as an alert notification for that user that they were tagged) or message them directly if you're looking for one particular user's input...
Thanks I am still learning this site, this is only like my 3rd day on here. Thank you for the help, it is refreshing to find a place to go ask questions and technical advice; and not having people be snarky. Don't get me wrong I love sarcasm but in this situation when someone is trying to learn its is not necessary. Thank you again, I am sure I will have many more questions in the future.

Cplchaos

Radio is fine, but not when connected to antenna itself mounted on the vehicle?

If coax gets pinched hard - once - it may not ever again work well.

If coax is loose at its antenna connection, the system will not work well.

Coax is where I’d be looking.

Excellent antenna choice (gave one to my son; run a pair on my big truck), there are videos and more info linked in other threads.

Do a run-through of all functions. CB isn’t plug n’ play. There are procedures and some tools that need employment.

See if you can’t eliminate some stuff and that’ll help those wanting to help you. Sounded to me like a good start:

More advanced for as you go along. My devil dog son went from CB jockey to first steps with Amateur licensing. The problem-solving gets addictive:

Mobile Installation Bible

Thank you fellas