Hercules Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebelranger

Looking to buy a new portable scanner. I had an old Radio Shack (purchased in 85 and rarely used) that grew feet and left! So I'm trying to replace it. For my area Contra Costa County (and occasionally Alameda), do I need digital?
Would it be wise to be future ready?

I'm looking to either get the PSR-300 or the PSR 500 (or another model based on direction here). Also need help finalizing my package with a great antenna for either of the aforementioned models. Is there anything else that I should buy at the same time?

I'm also open to Base/Mobile type scanners as well.
Any help is very much appreciated.

kma371

QRT
Contra Costa has a ton of analog stuff for your listening pleasure.

This is true, but with a huge Easy Bay regional system coming on line in the next five years (give or take 5 years :) ), I would get a digital scanner.

Rebelranger

This is true, but with a huge Easy Bay regional system coming on line in the next five years (give or take 5 years :) ), I would get a digital scanner.

Wow within 5 years will be right around the corner. Thanks for the reply. Decisions, Decisions!
I'd like to be future ready and dollar wise at the same time. If I outfit a digital, what are the best choices?

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
You can't go wrong with either of the scanners you have already mentioned. If you have the cash to spend, then you'll have the latest and be able to hear anything that can be heard with a scanner with the PSR-500. But your immediate area is not digital (yet) and you might want to have one of EACH of those scanners in the future.

I run no less than 2 scanners when at home. There are several reasons; they have to do with ideal antenna, how sanners receive trunked systems and lots more.

Every few years the scanner technology takes a "jump" forward. Certainly there are many systems out there that can not be scanned, but each totally new model comes out with more capability. With that in mind, and not NEEDING digital this moment, why not get the PSR-300 today and then get whatever the latest greatest digital scanner is when you need (or are about to need) digital?

As far as antennas go, it depends on what you want to scan. If you're just looking for a general purpose omni-directional base antenna, it is hard to go wrong with a discone. But don't skimp on the (quality of the) coax, especially if you want to receive 800 MHz stuff.

Rebelranger

You can't go wrong with either of the scanners you have already mentioned. If you have the cash to spend, then you'll have the latest and be able to hear anything that can be heard with a scanner with the PSR-500. But your immediate area is not digital (yet) and you might want to have one of EACH of those scanners in the future.

I run no less than 2 scanners when at home. There are several reasons; they have to do with ideal antenna, how sanners receive trunked systems and lots more.

Every few years the scanner technology takes a "jump" forward. Certainly there are many systems out there that can not be scanned, but each totally new model comes out with more capability. With that in mind, and not NEEDING digital this moment, why not get the PSR-300 today and then get whatever the latest greatest digital scanner is when you need (or are about to need) digital?

As far as antennas go, it depends on what you want to scan. If you're just looking for a general purpose omni-directional base antenna, it is hard to go wrong with a discone. But don't skimp on the (quality of the) coax, especially if you want to receive 800 MHz stuff.

Thank you!

Very good points and makes sense! In 4 years plus, technology could take another leap.. So waiting until i need the digital and seeking the technology that will be available then is a great point.

As far as the antenna I'm considering the Diamond RH771. And am looking into what coax is best and I'd like to be able to pull in signals in the 800Mhz if possible

Rebelranger

Got it Thanks again gmclam for your help! I've got my order ready at scanner master . Is that the preferred place to order GRE equipment from?

BTW it was reading a few posts of yours elsewhere on this site that motivated me to get back into scanning and using the GRE- Brand!

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Got it Thanks again gmclam for your help! I've got my order ready at scanner master . Is that the preferred place to order GRE equipment from?
You are welcome. Well, they are a sponsor here, and I have not found them less expensive anyplace else. It would be nice to walk down the street to Fry's and just pick one up, but they do not have any upper modern models there (no GRE scanners).

BTW it was reading a few posts of yours elsewhere on this site that motivated me to get back into scanning and using the GRE- Brand!
Thank you for your kind words. This is NOT a 'static' nor inexpensive hobby. Changes are constant (lol). While I listen mostly to fire and CHP calls, I found myself today listening to a bunch of air traffic frequencies. It all started when a plane was making an emergency landing because one engine had failed. You just never know what cards are going to be dealt next.

cousinkix1953

I have no need for a digital scanner here on the Monterey Bay either. No need to hear the Santa Clara county sheriff's dispatcher's P-25 simulcast on 155.70 mhz. There isn't much activity from the park rangers at Pinnacles Monument near Hollister either. Digital scanners will be more common by the time I might need one a few years from now. A saturated market usually leads to lower prices at Radio Shack and other stores.

I don't wanna spend big $$$ for a digital scanner, only to find out that most of the police channels are encrypted like Orange county either. A scanner is a waste of money, if we can't even hear routine boring calls any more...

Rebelranger

Digital scanners will be more common by the time I might need one a few years from now. A saturated market usually leads to lower prices at Radio Shack and other stores.

I don't wanna spend big $$$ for a digital scanner, only to find out that most of the police channels are encrypted like Orange county either. A scanner is a waste of money, if we can't even hear routine boring calls any more...

Well Stated!
With tech refresh happening so fast, obsolescence is always a risk for early adopters or technology riders.
Im all for saving $$$ and enjoying the boring.....routine.....

cousinkix1953

We can still get away with using a good Pro 2006 around here most of the time.

I bought a Pro 97 hand held scanner to hear what's going on during a power outtage. I can hear a couple of analog TRS networks too. No need to get a Pro 164 when they rebanded using frequencies that still ended in a 85x.xxx5 mhz split either.

And no sooner had I spent $125 on EBAY - the University campus police and fire departments were back using their old VHF radios, which are interoperable with the local agencies around here. Not much left on the TRS except the campus shuttle buses and other classified employees.

So, I'm in no hurry to blow $500 on a digital scanner, that might not even hear routine boring police calls several years from now. Let somebody else buy one and show me that it still works. Faced with the Orange county secret police state; I will find another hobby...

Status
Not open for further replies.