R30 High voltage error

Status
Not open for further replies.

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
Just went through this issue and thought I would share in case you go through this. Took me a few days to figure it out.

I purchased the Icom software since the ARC30 didn't work for me. Plugged in my R30 with the USB cable. Had it hooked maybe an hour. Couldn't get the software to see the R30. After giving up, shut down, unplugged R30. Turn it back on and got a high voltage across the screen. Shuts off. Knew my battery was low so figured I would charge it up. Would not charge. Charging light went between yellow and green. Left it on anyways awhile. Took it off, no charge. I let it set until the next day. Tried turning on again. Nothing. Started searching the web for answers plus I sent Icom a message through there web site. Could not find anything related to high voltage. Gave up for the day.
Next day I remembered I purchased the AA battery pack for backup. Since I installed the AA batteries, decide to see if the cradle would hold the battery in place by itself. It does. It started charging with only yellow light. So know I know the battery did not fry. Worried maybe the USB port may have sent more juice to the radio. With AA batery pack installed, turned on. Same error of high voltage. Am presuming the radio detects this and shuts it down to protect the radio. Decided to hook up the usb cable to the computer and R30. 1st tried without the battery pack installed. Nothing. Needs the battery pack. Put battery pack on, hooked it up to the computer. Fires right up. Didn't waste any time and did a FULL reset figuring that error was written to memory and stopping it from running. After full reset, shut down, turn it back on while still hooked up to computer. Fires right up.
Here is where it gets interesting. Have built computers over the years and am thinking something is flagging the high voltage error in memory but since I did a full reset, and its working, maybe I flushed it out. Am still on my AA battery pack since the regular battery is in the cradle charging. My SD card is in the radio. Before I did all of this, I put a copy of the R30 folder on my computer to try the ARC30 software weeks prior. So I load the settings from the SD card. Have to restart. BAM, the error message is back, shuts it down. OK, maybe a bad SD card, but it worked fine and read the current data that loaded up. Got it back running again and did another rest like before. Took the SD card out, formatted it on the computer. Put it back in the R30, formatted it in the R30. Removed it and put the SD card back into the computer, I use a card reader, delete the current folder on the SD card the R30 created when formatting, copied the fold I had on my computer to the SD card. Put the SD card back into the R30. R30 fires right up with nothing to scan. Crossed my fingers and loaded up the settings from the SD card that had the data from the computer. Shut off, turn on. Its working fine now. Zero issues.
Am thinking whatever generated the high voltage error when it was connected to the computer, must of written some flag file on the SD card since the old data when loaded back into the R30 brought back the high voltage error.
Thought I would post this so if you ever go through this, I hope not, follow what I did and hope it works for you. Oh, BTW, if yours is working fine know, put a copy of that R30 folder on your computer! Now, if only I can get software to work with this receiver! But thats another story. Plus, Have not heard from Icom support yet.

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
I did get a reply from Icom. They think it was a battery issue. I gave them a ling to my post to read. They wanted my serial number of the R30 and when I purchased it. Told them to read my post before I send the info as I figured this it. Will have to hand it to icom though. They set a flag to protect the radio, period! It did. Wouldn't let it start up to protect the radio. Once I removed the flag, knowing it wasn't an issue buy seeing the battery charged just fine by itself, just finding the flag and removing it fixed the issue. If it would detect the issue again with just the battery, would have given it by now. I ran the R30 by itself for 3 hours without issue on the original battery. Its working flawless as before this issue came up.

Status
Not open for further replies.