• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

History/index of Cobra base station CB radio models

Status
Not open for further replies.

FPR1981

The other day I was thinking about all of the iconic Cobra base stations ever made. I have looked to see if anyone ever made a website dedicated to cataloging/indexing Cobra radios. It may be out there, but I'm not finding it. I kind of want to take this on as a project, and maybe some of you here can help me.

I know as far as the SSB models, you have, in order:

-Cobra 135
-Cobra 135 XLR
-Cobra 139 XLR
-Cobra 142 GTL
-Cobra 2000 GTL

I know there was a Cobra 2010, but many Cobra purists do not recognize this radio as genuine. I've never seen one in person, but I'm told it is very similar to that Cherokee 40-channel AM/SSB base station I own.

As far as AM-only models, I only know of the following

-B&K Cobra Cam 88 (23 channel, tube radio)
-Cobra Cam 89 (23 channel, classic/iconic Cobra base station design)
-Cobra 87 GTL (I have never seen one in person, but Rooster on YouTube loves them)
-Cobra 89 XLR
-Cobra 89 GTL
-Cobra 1000 GTL
-Cobra 90 LTD (desktop-style, not the iconic Cobra base look, 5-pin SSB mic)

I remember seeing a small, solid-state 23 channel model that is not the iconic base station look, that looks like it pre-dated the Cam 89. It looked very cheap, had a volume, squelch and a 23-channel dial. I have no idea what model that is.

Anyone here have anything to contribute?

FPR1981

I just came upon the funny looking solid-state 23-channel model. It's the Cobra 85. It has the Cobra logo with the word "Dynascan" below it, is a small black case with a volume, squelch and a meter. It would remind you of something you'd see on the kitchen counter of a serious CBer back in the heyday.

There is a 40-channel version of this same radio with slightly more features. It is the 86 XLR.

I have never seen either one of these in person.

Superet8

The other day I was thinking about all of the iconic Cobra base stations ever made. I have looked to see if anyone ever made a website dedicated to cataloging/indexing Cobra radios. It may be out there, but I'm not finding it. I kind of want to take this on as a project, and maybe some of you here can help me.

I know as far as the SSB models, you have, in order:

-Cobra 135
-Cobra 135 XLR
-Cobra 139 XLR
-Cobra 142 GTL
-Cobra 2000 GTL

I know there was a Cobra 2010, but many Cobra purists do not recognize this radio as genuine. I've never seen one in person, but I'm told it is very similar to that Cherokee 40-channel AM/SSB base station I own.

As far as AM-only models, I only know of the following

-B&K Cobra Cam 88 (23 channel, tube radio)
-Cobra Cam 89 (23 channel, classic/iconic Cobra base station design)
-Cobra 87 GTL (I have never seen one in person, but Rooster on YouTube loves them)
-Cobra 89 XLR
-Cobra 89 GTL
-Cobra 1000 GTL
-Cobra 90 LTD (desktop-style, not the iconic Cobra base look, 5-pin SSB mic)

I remember seeing a small, solid-state 23 channel model that is not the iconic base station look, that looks like it pre-dated the Cam 89. It looked very cheap, had a volume, squelch and a 23-channel dial. I have no idea what model that is.

Anyone here have anything to contribute?
I stumbled across your forum, and I'm looking at your answer. "Dynascan cobra 29" 23 channel AM CB transceiver. I'll try to get a picture or two up as well.

JayMojave

Hello All: Dynascan came out with a SSB only, 6 channel crystal controlled, tube radio called a Mark Sidewinder 27. This in the 1960's and later on a Mark 46 came out as a 23 channel tube radio AM and SSB. But this radios are pretty rare and not too well known.

The noted Cobra CB Radios with SSB were a shot in the arm for CB SSB back in the days. These radios got modified for more power output and even Ham Radio Crystal Filters were installed to increase the selectivity of the receiver, and I heard of a modified receiver front end but never saw one. Of course the clarifiers were modified to track both the transmit and receive, and be able to "Slide Down" 5 to 10 to 15 Kc as the CB SSB Channel was CH 16 27.155 Mc, which was 20 Kc above CH 15 that was at 27.135 Mc. So if you could "Slide Down" just 5 Kc then you was one of the elite boys club.

And of course as these Cobra Radios were modified this spurred on the use of Ham Radios that were modified for the CB Band, and because these radios did 100 watts output of close one didn't need a linear amplifier. Until they realized to get a Ham Radio Linear. But the air waves seems cleaner with the Ham Radio Transceiver's. And regardless of the radios uses contacts were made all over the world. And of course this spurred on many CB guys to become Ham Radio Operators.

Jay in the Great Mojave Desert Today will be 112F..... charming

Status
Not open for further replies.