HOA Antenna with a Twist

fourgres

Premium Subscriber
We had antenna rules in place until a board member put up a TV antenna, then all changed. To me HOA have the dumbest rules in the world.
Must have blacktop driveways, there permission to out up a flag pole, etc, etc. Unless you are a board member Obey, Obey,
(Sorry for the rant.)

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
Some rules make sense - no painting your house to look like the new Barbie movie, get rid of that 1990 Honda CRX in the driveway that hasn't run in a generation, and pull your darn weeds.

Others don't - no small weather stations in the backyard that aren't visible from the street, it's got a WiFi antenna on it to transmit data to the house and the neighbors, so it's a transmitter in violation of the CCRs.

kd2hcu

I've been using a 14 gauge random wire that goes up alongside my chimney and then across to a tree. The HOA people have seen it over the course of the 2 years I've had it and said nothing. Black wire is very difficult to see, and thinner wire can be used. My Comet GP1 is in the attic which only has a little over 4 feet clearance at the ridge, and it works well in there. Just have to be sure there isn't any metal in the roofing.

N9JCQ

Premium Subscriber
For HF, I use an Alpha Antenna HOABuster that uses the gutter system as an antenna. It actually works very well for me other than my signal getting into the neighbor's wireless surroundsound system next door. I was lazy and didn't want to build my own system but they are very easy to build one on your own using an Unun.

WRXJ956

We had antenna rules in place until a board member put up a TV antenna, then all changed. To me HOA have the dumbest rules in the world.
Must have blacktop driveways, there permission to out up a flag pole, etc, etc. Unless you are a board member Obey, Obey,
(Sorry for the rant.)
No apology necessary. I agree. Thanks for the response!

WRXJ956

Some rules make sense - no painting your house to look like the new Barbie movie, get rid of that 1990 Honda CRX in the driveway that hasn't run in a generation, and pull your darn weeds.

Others don't - no small weather stations in the backyard that aren't visible from the street, it's got a WiFi antenna on it to transmit data to the house and the neighbors, so it's a transmitter in violation of the CCRs.
I'm starting to think that all|most|many HOAs use a standard set of CC&Rs, and the reason it's so difficult to get any regulation changed is because they don't want to deviate from that standard set which has been tested and proven in courts. I'm just speculating.

Thanks much for the response!

WRXJ956

I've been using a 14 gauge random wire that goes up alongside my chimney and then across to a tree. The HOA people have seen it over the course of the 2 years I've had it and said nothing. Black wire is very difficult to see, and thinner wire can be used. My Comet GP1 is in the attic which only has a little over 4 feet clearance at the ridge, and it works well in there. Just have to be sure there isn't any metal in the roofing.
I found an "attic" space that I believe is large enough to use. I'll have to check on the metal in the roofing thing. Thanks much!

Not to be nosy, but if you have an antenna in the attic, why is there a wire going across to a tree?

WRXJ956

For HF, I use an Alpha Antenna HOABuster that uses the gutter system as an antenna. It actually works very well for me other than my signal getting into the neighbor's wireless surroundsound system next door. I was lazy and didn't want to build my own system but they are very easy to build one on your own using an Unun.
I've looked at those types of options. I'm in a condo and all A/Cs and satellite dishes are on the roofs. Might be a problem.

Thanks for responding!