HOA Issue, using a TV antenna for scanners

N9JIG

Sheriff
I live in an HOA that does not allow outside antennas for scanners and ham radio. (BTW, don't say I shouldn't have bought in an HOA, it was not my idea and I am stuck with it...)

Federal law however allows exemptions for TV antennas and our HOA acknowledges this. I have been thinking of installing a scanner antenna like a Discone or Omni-X and if the HOA says anything I would say it is a TV antenna. If they do their research they could see that these aren't intended for TV reception and give me a hard time.

What I am thinking of now is actually using a real TV antenna to connect to my multicoupler, one lead from which would actually go to a TV to show the HOA it works as such in case that comes up.

Has anyone used a currently available true TV antenna for scanners with positive results? I am of course aware that TV is horizontally polarized and scanner traffic is generally vertical. I am also interested in as close to omnidirectional performance as possible.

While I might end up with the Omni-X as it pretty much appears as a basic TV antenna I would like to at least investigate the use of a real TV antenna.

KD9KSO

Would it be possible to mount a vertical with no ground plane on the least visible part of the mast that has the TV antenna mounted to it?

Maybe you could disguise the TV antenna by replacing several of the active elements with those that are cut for the frequencies you want to monitor. Still the wrong polarization, but it's better than nothing.

Here is a third idea: Use a mag mount mobile scanner antenna mounted to a metal plate across the top of your gutter in the least visible location.

I did the last item above and was receiving KCPS ATIS from 15 miles away.

jtwalker

Premium Subscriber
I have my tv connected to a Discone, running thru a multi-coupler for all my scanners and SDR’s. Don’t use antenna for tv that often but occasionally for football games that aren’t on my streaming service or when my internet is down. But I could look at a judge with a straight face and say I use it for tv.

Oh and you shouldn’t have bought in to an HOA.

Last edited:

KevinC

The big K
Super Moderator
I have my tv connected to a Discone, running thru a multi-coupler for all my scanners and SDR’s. Don’t use antenna for tv that often but occasionally for football games that aren’t on my streaming service or when my internet is down. But I could look at a judge with a straight face and say I use it for tv.
And seeing how most TV stations use circular polarization now the days of the old horizontal beam TV antenna are gone.

Icing on the cake is if you have TV transmitters from multiple directions, then you have to use an omni antenna.

n2pqq

Premium Subscriber
Look into a create log periodic antenna
Mount it horizontal add a rotor and they will think it is a tv antenna

citiot

ʇoᴉʇᴉɔ
Premium Subscriber
Well, I'll be darned. All 'good' and 'fair' per rabbitears.info. Best to just try than speculate.

I tried it in the Minneapolis market. 103 channels (15 or so miles SW of city center). Just as much as the small log in the attic.

Go for it. Omni-x is small.

Bet it will be OK.

"...(i)f they do their research they could see that these aren't intended for TV reception and give me a hard time...." - I think you are overestimating the HOA. Most people are complete idiots.

merlin

Discone antennas began life as TV antennas, thats how I got past my landlord.
Also a new law about internet connectivity, so I have my Ubiquity up for that also.
Can't see them unless you are on top the roof. 2 story, appartment sort of thing.
(I snuck my HF long wire up there, another invisible, unless pointed out.)

merlin

Oh and you shouldn’t have bought in to an HOA.
My discone serves as TV antenna also, just being the scanner sort, doesn't work well channel 6 and below.
I have an indoor folded dipole for that, patched into my splitter/combiner group. Does OK.

John_S

Premium Subscriber
Try plugging the antenna you intend to use for the scanner into your TV and see how well it works...you might be surprised if you're close enough to a metro area. Show them the results...I mean, they can't regulate which "TV" antenna you decide to use.

G7RUX

Would it be possible to mount a vertical with no ground plane on the least visible part of the mast that has the TV antenna mounted to it?

Maybe you could disguise the TV antenna by replacing several of the active elements with those that are cut for the frequencies you want to monitor. Still the wrong polarization, but it's better than nothing.

Here is a third idea: Use a mag mount mobile scanner antenna mounted to a metal plate across the top of your gutter in the least visible location.

I did the last item above and was receiving KCPS ATIS from 15 miles away.
I have done something like this before...use a fibreglass pole for the TV antenna and install the vertical *inside* the fibreglass pole...works like a charm!

G7RUX

There are all sorts of ways that you can get a half-decent antenna system up without incurring the wrath of these HOA people.
1. Fibreglass pole for the TV antenna with a vertical *inside* it, perhaps home-brew.
2. Use coaxial cable as the antenna.
3. Inverted Vee for your band of choice along the eaves, inside the roof space or even lying down the sides of the roof
4. Install a "lightning conductor"
5. Use a modest log-periodic as both a TV antenna and a general antenna, on a rotator of course.
6. Use a segmented pole for the TV antenna and tune up part of that for your reception needs.

Seriously, these HOA stories I keep hearing make me seriously wonder why people put up with these lunacies.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
I am also interested in as close to omnidirectional performance as possible.
The DPD Omni-X is almost invisible and a good choice as recommended in this thread. However, if you must have a true TV antenna (and one that is omnidirectional) there are many variations of this TV antenna that meet the criteria. Fortunately they are low cost so you can put one up to determine suitability for your scanner (and it will very likely work).
Amazon.com

spongella

Premium Subscriber
If you mount it vertically, add a rotor and preamp; it might work decently. I would get an a TV antenna that includes low VHF, high VHF and of course UHF. I would get Winegard, they're good quality. I use one for OTA TV along with a rotor and preamp. Good luck and keep us posted.

sprman1955

I use a tv antenna 68 element works very well on my GRE PSR-500 scanner.Winegard 7800 no longer made.They replaced it with the Winegard HD8200U 69 elements.Cost about $225.00 dollars.Mines up at 15 feet works great in rain or snow/ice is big tho 10 fot boom the hd8200 has a 14 foot boom weights 17 pounds shipping.Angelo

prcguy

Premium Subscriber
The legit TV antenna on a fiberglass or grey plastic conduit mast with a stick type scanner antenna inside the mast and no coax or maybe rubber tubing as fake coax connected to the TV antenna for looks is a great idea. Or get a TV antenna if you don’t have one, short out and ground all the elements then stick a Compactenna Scan III antenna right above it on the mast and paint that grey. The shorted out TV antenna will become the ground plane for the Compactenna and it will just look like you mounted the TV antenna 9” below the top of the mast.

Here is what a Scan III looks like and it could easily pass for the top of a mast and they work well over all the VHF hi, UHF and 700-900 bands. I have one and am pretty impressed with it.

1720131736632.jpeg