HOA Issue, using a TV antenna for scanners

flatfoot2421

Premium Subscriber
I live in an HOA that does not allow outside antennas for scanners and ham radio. (BTW, don't say I shouldn't have bought in an HOA, it was not my idea and I am stuck with it...)

Federal law however allows exemptions for TV antennas and our HOA acknowledges this. I have been thinking of installing a scanner antenna like a Discone or Omni-X and if the HOA says anything I would say it is a TV antenna. If they do their research they could see that these aren't intended for TV reception and give me a hard time.

What I am thinking of now is actually using a real TV antenna to connect to my multicoupler, one lead from which would actually go to a TV to show the HOA it works as such in case that comes up.

Has anyone used a currently available true TV antenna for scanners with positive results? I am of course aware that TV is horizontally polarized and scanner traffic is generally vertical. I am also interested in as close to omnidirectional performance as possible.

While I might end up with the Omni-X as it pretty much appears as a basic TV antenna I would like to at least investigate the use of a real TV antenna.
This video may be of some assistance. Best of luck with your endeavor!

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
Thanks @flatfoot2421, I might try this!
N9JIG -In the post that began this thread, you wrote
"I am also interested in as close to omnidirectional performance as possible."
The Create log periodic antenna shown in that video is like all log periodics in that it is NOT omnidirectional! It is mostly unidirectional as is any beam-type antenna. So we're assuming you've dropped that requirement from consideration(?) Does look very much like a TV antenna though and is likely to pass HOA scrutiny.

a727469

Premium Subscriber
Although pricey the scan 3 would be a great option..reviews have been very good. I would definitely try if space was limited or restricted. Here’s one

N9JIG

Sheriff
N9JIG -In the post that began this thread, you wrote
"I am also interested in as close to omnidirectional performance as possible."
The Create log periodic antenna shown in that video is like all log periodics in that it is NOT omnidirectional! It is mostly unidirectional as is any beam-type antenna. So we're assuming you've dropped that requirement from consideration(?) Does look very much like a TV antenna though and is likely to pass HOA scrutiny.
I have found that most directional antennas tend to receive off-beam decently enough. As this is intended for scanners only it might work, otherwise I would need to put a rotator on it.

If I reduce the number of elements it should reduce the directionality of the antenna.

N9JIG

Sheriff
The legit TV antenna on a fiberglass or grey plastic conduit mast with a stick type scanner antenna inside the mast and no coax or maybe rubber tubing as fake coax connected to the TV antenna for looks is a great idea. Or get a TV antenna if you don’t have one, short out and ground all the elements then stick a Compactenna Scan III antenna right above it on the mast and paint that grey. The shorted out TV antenna will become the ground plane for the Compactenna and it will just look like you mounted the TV antenna 9” below the top of the mast.

Here is what a Scan III looks like and it could easily pass for the top of a mast and they work well over all the VHF hi, UHF and 700-900 bands. I have one and am pretty impressed with it.
I actually have one of these and this sounds like a neat idea. Whatever I end up with might also include the Compactenna mounted above it. I suppose I could paint it grey or tan (whatever the mast color is) so they would think it is part of that.

I could then use a Log Periodic or similar as also mentioned in this thread below it, it would fit in nicely with the IC-7100 for VHF and UHF work.

Of course I can't really do anything until October when it cools down here in AZ but I might start accumulating the pieces beforehand.

AZMONITOR

Premium Subscriber
I have had some success at receiving TV signals with an Antennacraft ST-2 scanner antenna.

prcguy

Premium Subscriber
I actually have one of these and this sounds like a neat idea. Whatever I end up with might also include the Compactenna mounted above it. I suppose I could paint it grey or tan (whatever the mast color is) so they would think it is part of that.

I could then use a Log Periodic or similar as also mentioned in this thread below it, it would fit in nicely with the IC-7100 for VHF and UHF work.

Of course I can't really do anything until October when it cools down here in AZ but I might start accumulating the pieces beforehand.
I suspect if you go on your roof now you will vaporize.

N9JIG

Sheriff
I have had some success at receiving TV signals with an Antennacraft ST-2 scanner antenna.
I actually have 4 of these, two are deployed in the attic and two stored in the garage. I am thinking of using one as it does resemble a TV antenna to the uninformed. I will have to do some work on it to stand up to the AZ heat. I also have new ChannelMaster baluns and will make sure to weatherproof it as well as I can. I might look to replace or support the plastic parts...

Bick

Premium Subscriber
I have two Ventennas installed on the vent pipes on the roof of my house with cables coming down inside the vent and exiting out "T" connections inside the attic. There I connect the coax cables to cables running up the interior wall of the shack, like something I think you showed in an earlier post.

Unfortunately, Ventenna is no longer in business but still has a presence on the net and
you can read their info. Check out the links page. I believe the antennas are half wave design and could probably be "re-engineered" if you wanted.

Gray