BCD325P2/BCD996P2: Hold after Detection

ThreeTima

Premium Subscriber
So I am extremely new to this whole scanner thing, so please bear with me. I only got a scanner within the last 3 months... I'm still just learning how to properly program...

I'm not even sure what it is called, in reference to Scanners. So I am not sure what to look for in my settings and/or manuals. That being said: I am looking for a way to delay the return to scanning after a transmission has been detected.

For instance, if I hear a policeman say there is a wreck, I may, as a person who drives a lot, want to know where it is to avoid it. That being said, by the time I realize it's a wreck, I didn't hear where it is and it's already started scanning again... OR maybe it only caught the tail end of a transmission as it was scanning through.

Is there a way to "hold" a channel for say 2 to 5 seconds AFTER a transmission ends in case I want to Manually "Hold" or another officer/dispatcher comes on to confirm or something (which, in turn, adds the needed info)?

I currently have the BCD325P2 and use PROSCAN for programing.

Mahalo nui loa for any help given.

:)

ThreeTima

Premium Subscriber
Set a scan delay for the channels you want to hold up scan on.
Mahalo nui loa...

It took some digging around, but I found where to change this setting. It was easy to find in the manual... but not quite efficient.. I have subsequently found it in PROSCAN... and I changed it to my liking for the appropriate items.

wtp

Last edited:

ThreeTima

Premium Subscriber
DELAY is what you want, the radio waits for a call back (2 is good)
HOLD is how long it stays on the system. (0 is good)

Scroll to the desired delay time (-10, -5, -2, 0, 1, 2, 5, 10, or 30 secs.) and press E/yes to save and exit.
Scroll to 'Set Hold Time' and press E/yes.
Enter the hold time (0-255 seconds) you desire and press E/yes to save and exit.

Thanks for the reply... eaf1956 already answered. With that information, I was able to find the answer in my manual.

The problem, for me, was not knowing what it was called. And yes, there was a confusion between DELAY and HOLD... But in my search after eaf1956's reply, I found out the difference in them as well.

Reactions: wtp

brcoz

Premium Subscriber
I use the Pause\Hold button. During a chase is good. Like one night many years ago. I heard "Sniper 2 ready".

ThreeTima

Premium Subscriber
I use the Pause\Hold button. During a chase is good. Like one night many years ago. I heard "Sniper 2 ready".
I totally agree. However, quite often as I am driving... by the time I am able to react to said broadcast, it has already moved on and I am not sure what channel it came from, only knowing it was "Police" or "Public Safety".

I live in Hawaii... I work all over the state... each island probably has 5-10 different police districts (probably more on O'ahu), each with their own freq/repeater... 50-60% of that Island's transmissions reach me at any given time, 1-15% of some other island (at differnt times)... Without being able to at least look at it... I'd never find it again, unless they are still talking when it comes back around.

I'm trying to set up quick keys so I can turn on and off islands as I travel, but I include the "other islands" to drive home the point that by the time I get to the pause hold button, it's already moved on (in many cases), and without at least an inkling of what it was, I might miss most or all of the rest.

Ubbe

For instance, if I hear a policeman say there is a wreck, I may, as a person who drives a lot, want to know where it is to avoid it. That being said, by the time I realize it's a wreck, I didn't hear where it is and it's already started scanning again... OR maybe it only caught the tail end of a transmission as it was scanning through.
For digital trunked systems I monitor I find I usually need a 5-7 second delay added to a TG to not get the scanner to continue scan. 2 sec goes awfully quick and just a tiny break to think before a user transmits will have those 2 sec pass.

Just catching the end of a call happens a lot and to avoid that you can only scan one trunked system as it will stay at least 2 sec on each trunked system and those 2 sec makes you miss the start of a call on another system. For non-trunked conventional channels you can scan more channels as those goes quicker to scan, but the more you have in a scanlist the longer it will take to come back to a channel.
If you watch that movie Night Crawler you will see how many scanners it takes to be able to hear most of the conversations in a city without missing the beginning of the call.

/Ubbe