HP-2: Home Patrol 2- Puzzled

Status
Not open for further replies.

brennin

Hello Folks ! My question refers to my HP 2, Which is about 4 yrs. old. Currently, I scan approx. 30 Freqs of Maryland's trunk system " First Responders Interoperable Radio System Team, ( F.I.R.S.T. ), which is a trunked project 25 Phase II system. I also scan 2 analog freqs. 4 days ago, I noticed the only reception I was getting was on the 2 analog channels. Nothing on the trunked system. The software I use is the latest version of Sentinel. I checked the Uniden site, and I still have the current firmware versions in the scanner. I also checked the RR database & NONE of the trunked freqs. I'm using are encrypted, & in reviewing the system history, there are no changes to my freqs other than renaming the sites. Also, all control numbers in the scanner match the database & All service types in the scanner are properly entered. The scanner is in the same location in my house since its purchase. As previously mentioned, only the 2 analog channels are receiving. I switched from using my fav lists to the full data base & locking it on the F.I.R.S.T. system, still no activity is heard. So could there be some type of corruption going on in the scanner ? Any suggestions & help is appreciated. Thank You.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Currently, I scan approx. 30 Freqs of Maryland's trunk system
I also checked the RR database & NONE of the trunked freqs. I'm using are encrypted,

If its a trunked system, you are scanning talk groups.

The scanner is in the same location in my house since its purchase. As previously mentioned, only the 2 analog channels are receiving. I switched from using my fav lists to the full data base & locking it on the F.I.R.S.T. system, still no activity is heard. So could there be some type of corruption going on in the scanner.

When was the last time you were able to listen to the system? What happens if you manually scroll thru the control channels? Do you see any bars on the reception meter?

brennin

Which site are you trying to listen too? A lot of them on that system are simulcast. That could be your problem.
Thank you for the replies, my friends. The 2 sites involved are Kent simulcast & Queen Anne Simulcast. The 2 talk groups Kent Co. & Q.A. Co. As mentioned, I first noticed the problem about 4 or 5 days ago. There appears nothing in the sites history that would cause a change. I'm aware the simulcast system is a P.I.A. , but why now all of a sudden when it was working fine for so long ? When scrolling through the individual talk groups, there is no reception indicated, none. Whiskey 3JMC : are you you suggesting that I 86 the HP for an SDS 100 ?

cfsimmont

Premium Subscriber
Hello Folks ! My question refers to my HP 2, Which is about 4 yrs. old. Currently, I scan approx. 30 Freqs of Maryland's trunk system " First Responders Interoperable Radio System Team, ( F.I.R.S.T. ), which is a trunked project 25 Phase II system. I also scan 2 analog freqs. 4 days ago, I noticed the only reception I was getting was on the 2 analog channels. Nothing on the trunked system. The software I use is the latest version of Sentinel. I checked the Uniden site, and I still have the current firmware versions in the scanner. I also checked the RR database & NONE of the trunked freqs. I'm using are encrypted, & in reviewing the system history, there are no changes to my freqs other than renaming the sites. Also, all control numbers in the scanner match the database & All service types in the scanner are properly entered. The scanner is in the same location in my house since its purchase. As previously mentioned, only the 2 analog channels are receiving. I switched from using my fav lists to the full data base & locking it on the F.I.R.S.T. system, still no activity is heard. So could there be some type of corruption going on in the scanner ? Any suggestions & help is appreciated. Thank You.

What was your reception like on the Phase II system before this recent event of no reception? If the sites haven't changed control channels and the talk groups that you are monitoring haven't been changed or gone encrypted then I'd suspect it's an issue with your scanner. Any recent cell towers gone up in your general area? With the cell providers rolling out the 5G networks more towers are being erected (some on light poles) and this can play havoc with a scanner's reception. What antenna are you using? Are you using the standard antenna that came with the scanner or have you upgraded? I do believe there is a Remtronix antenna you can purchase or maybe an adapter to use the BNC Remtronix? I am not at all familiar with this model of scanner. I have found that most OEM scanner antennas aren't much good for other than adding clutter to a junk drawer. As some have mentioned on here and I will also agree to, the SDS models of Uniden scanners do work much better with trunked systems using Simulcast sites. For a while I was very much a nay-sayer of the SDS scanners thinking that my scanner was doing just fine and the SDS comments were nothing more than hype. I was very surprised at how well they work compared to earlier models of digital scanners. Now with that being said, as far as conventional scanning I would suggest using anything else. My SDS100 preforms very well on the trunked systems, the local conventional frequencies it falls far behind my BC125AT. As far as a solution to your situation, I would look into the cell tower issue first, if you are being bombarded by interference by a newly erected cell tower no scanner may be able to help. If that doesn't seem to be your issue, look into the antenna. If you have the OEM antenna, try upgrading to a good Remtronix or similar antenna suited for the frequencies that the trunked system uses. Also try different locations within the house other than its normal location, also try taking it out of the house and see if there is any change. You also may try posting in the local Maryland forum and see how other locals are doing with this and they may be having the same issues and might be able to offer some solutions.

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
This may sound counterintuitive, but if nothing else seems to work, try replacing your current antenna with something very minimal... even an unfolded paper clip. I had a similar problem with a Home Patrol 2 and a local simulcast system not being received and the paper clip actually helped. Depending on your location, reducing the incoming signal(s) so that you are able to receive ONLY the closest simulcast site might do the trick.

Ubbe

When scrolling through the individual talk groups, there is no reception indicated, none.
If you have no signal at all and the analog channels are still working (are those in the same frequency band?) then program all frequencies in the site as the control channels could have moved to another frequency.

If that doesn't work then program the control channel frequencies as analog only in a new system and manually select them one by one and listen with squelch set to open. Try to move the scanner while on battery power and listen if you hear any kind of weak signals besides white noise.

Even if it's a simulcast issue, after the administrators have relocated or redirected antennas, it shouldn't indicate no signal at all.

Next step are to bring the scanner with you and travel a bit and see if reception picks up a signal from another location or from another site.

/Ubbe

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
The 2 sites involved are Kent simulcast & Queen Anne Simulcast. The 2 talk groups Kent Co. & Q.A.
What actual talk groups were you listening to? Kent Co and Q.A. are departments consisting of multiple talkgroups.

kent.JPG

qa.JPG

Whiskey 3JMC : are you you suggesting that I 86 the HP for an SDS 100 ?

You were able to listen a week ago and now its not working. Do any other p25 trunked systems work? I have a 436 and many people say that too sucks with simulcast but with the right antenna I do not experience any issues from my home location.

brennin

Kent Co. talk groups: Fire Disp., EMS Ops, Tac 3, 4 5, Law Disp., Law Tac 2, Fire Ground Ops 1 & 2. Also Conventional Freq # 194.1975 Fire/EMS Disp. Q.A. Talk Groups : Fire Disp., Tac 2, 3, 4, 5, Emergency Ops 1 & 2. Also Conventional Freq # 151.0850 Fire/EMS Disp. The antenna I use is a Harvest 5RH789, omni directional

brennin

The only P25 Phase 2 system entered in the scanner is the F.I.R.S.T. As mentioned before, the only activity I hear is on the 2 conventional freqs. Nothing on the F.I.R.S.T. I am considering finding a county in Md. that does NOT use simulcast, downloading freqs for that Co. and taking the scanner there just to see what type of reception I get on the F.I.R.S.T

cpfinlay

Feed Provider
This may sound counterintuitive, but if nothing else seems to work, try replacing your current antenna with something very minimal... even an unfolded paper clip. I had a similar problem with a Home Patrol 2 and a local simulcast system not being received and the paper clip actually helped. Depending on your location, reducing the incoming signal(s) so that you are able to receive ONLY the closest simulcast site might do the trick.

I'd say try this first!!! I have an SDS200, HP2 & HP1. The SDS200 has no issue with the local simulcast system, but sometimes the HPs were missing some comms. I attached very small antennas on them and turned on the attenuator and that helped quite a bit. The SDS200 still outperforms them on the simulcast systems, but the HPs improved after those changes.

brennin

cpfinlay: thanks for the response. No I didn't get the extreme upgrade. Curiously, what do you mean by a small antenna. I use a harvest omnidirectional, and tried using the stock antenna, no luck. I have noticed lately that late at night ( 11pm & later ), the HP 2 will pick up some broadcasts. So I'm thinking the distortion is worse during the day when there is more radio traffic. Since you own an SDS200, do you find it easier or harder to program then the HP ? I'm thinking of getting one, but I would like to study the online videos & instructions first.

cpfinlay

Feed Provider
The antenna I use is basically a straight 5" wire attached to an SMA connector. Another key step was turning on the attenuator to further reduce signal strength. I have a clear visual to one of the simulcast towers, so I could probably use a paperclip but that would look like crap.

I highly recommend the SDS200. It's just as simple to program and use as the HP2... down to the point you could simply enter your zip code and service types like the HP2 and the simplest level, but I would recommend using Sentinel. You'd need to download the version for the SDS200, but it's basically the same as far as the interface and functionality is concerned. I have both on the same PC.

The SDS200 is hooked up to a Larsen tri-band in a window (at 40') and it handles simulcast without issue. I have one of the custom "remote heads" and I also have it attached to an IoGear Wi-Fi dongle for use with ProScan. The SDS200 is connected to the PC via USB. I purchased the available optional decoders (NXDN, DMR & ProVoice) because some of the systems I monitor are NXDN and DMR. I have the GPS as well, but I only use it as a base right now.

That said, I still use (and love) my HP2, although I have it dedicated to just the local PD. I enjoyed using it mobile some years ago when traveling with GPS. I am a fan of both. :)

cpfinlay: thanks for the response. No I didn't get the extreme upgrade. Curiously, what do you mean by a small antenna. I use a harvest omnidirectional, and tried using the stock antenna, no luck. I have noticed lately that late at night ( 11pm & later ), the HP 2 will pick up some broadcasts. So I'm thinking the distortion is worse during the day when there is more radio traffic. Since you own an SDS200, do you find it easier or harder to program then the HP ? I'm thinking of getting one, but I would like to study the online videos & instructions first.

Status
Not open for further replies.