Home Run, UPMAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

doctordave

I've spent a full week testing the 536 on a variety of phase I simulcast 800 MHz systems, a phase II 700 MHz system, some standard Motorola digital 800 MHz trunked systems, a variety of conventional P25 VHF/UHF channels, numerous conventional analog channels ( VHF LOW through UHF ) and an analog trunked 800 system - all while mobile throughout central Maryland. Comparison was made against a GRE 600, GRE 800 and 996XT under similar conditions. I must say, I'm remarkably pleased with the sensitivity, selectivity, audio, reliability and overall performance of the 536. It is clearly the leader of the pack in pulling in these systems.

The Baltimore County and Baltimore City phase I systems were notoriously very difficult to monitor while mobile with previous scanners.....but the 536 does a great job, both from within those jurisdictions and from as far out as 15 air miles from the nearest towers (tested with just a VHF quarter wave antenna on the vehicle). There certainly are some focal areas in which reception is challenged - but the 536 is a giant leap forward in monitoring these specific systems.

Hats off to you and your team, Paul. I certainly appreciate the radio you've created. Job well done!!

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Curious, have you had any "motorboating" on the conventional P25? How about lag in hearing the first second of audio? Any squelch/end code issues with your trunked systems at all?

Not saying that you will, just curious how well it's working with those potential problems.

How does the general audio compare with the PSR800? Also, how does the Phase II audio sound?

cherubim

I've spent a full week testing the 536 on a variety of phase I simulcast 800 MHz systems, a phase II 700 MHz system, some standard Motorola digital 800 MHz trunked systems, a variety of conventional P25 VHF/UHF channels, numerous conventional analog channels ( VHF LOW through UHF ) and an analog trunked 800 system - all while mobile throughout central Maryland. Comparison was made against a GRE 600, GRE 800 and 996XT under similar conditions. I must say, I'm remarkably pleased with the sensitivity, selectivity, audio, reliability and overall performance of the 536. It is clearly the leader of the pack in pulling in these systems.

The Baltimore County and Baltimore City phase I systems were notoriously very difficult to monitor while mobile with previous scanners.....but the 536 does a great job, both from within those jurisdictions and from as far out as 15 air miles from the nearest towers (tested with just a VHF quarter wave antenna on the vehicle). There certainly are some focal areas in which reception is challenged - but the 536 is a giant leap forward in monitoring these specific systems.

Hats off to you and your team, Paul. I certainly appreciate the radio you've created. Job well done!!

Sounds like a paid advertisement.

doctordave

No financial connection to Uniden. The 536 has simply done wonders to solve my Baltimore County / City reception difficulties.

Dave, I've seen no motor boating or other quirks with conventional P25 channels - so far. Smooth sailing. As for audio on phase II, it's fine..... but to be quite honest, I think the audio of the GRE800 is a little better. The GRE audio is just more crisp. That said, I am content with how the Uniden sounds on phase II. Same exact story for the GRE vs 536 for audio quality on standard digital type II trunked systems. For analog systems, audio quality is about the same. For me, the big advantage of the 536 is the opportunity to monitor certain phase I/II systems that I just cannot receive well on other radios.

Last edited:

KA2ZEY

I don't know about a Home Run. A Home Run would've been a scanner with DMR and NXDN decoding. It would've allowed for SDR type interfacing and better audio quality than previous Uniden's. I'd say more like 2nd base. I'm sure folks who need Phase II P25 and Multi-Site Simulcast trunking are psyched but it's really just a portable version of the HP-1.

whsbuss

I don't know about a Home Run. A Home Run would've been a scanner with DMR and NXDN decoding. It would've allowed for SDR type interfacing and better audio quality than previous Uniden's. I'd say more like 2nd base. I'm sure folks who need Phase II P25 and Multi-Site Simulcast trunking are psyched but it's really just a portable version of the HP-1.

And my HP-1 is marginal on P25 Type II digital. Not sure the x36's will improve things.

doctordave

My first few days of testing was conducted throughout the Baltimore metro area. Phase I/II decoding success is a giant step forward for those of us who were previously struggling to properly receive those systems around here. Monitoring of older systems (Motorola digital type II) was/is fine for me in the Baltimore area.....and the difficulties in decoding type II digital systems elsewhere in the state was very unexpected. Paul and his team have a great track record of nicely decoding such systems via prior Uniden radios, so I'm reasonably optimistic that they'll figure a way to overcome this in the x36 series. I sure understand your wish for a radio that can process other system types. So.....in light of the newfound challenges, I'll scale back my "home run" declaration to a third base run.

Status
Not open for further replies.