Homepatrol - II charge LED flashing red

Status
Not open for further replies.

nr2d

Premium Subscriber
So I went to charge the batteries in my Homepatrol - II last night. The LEd on the front of the unit turned red like it has done before. This morning I saw that the LED was flashing red. I have never seen this before. The manual just says " The Charging LED on the front of the unit turns red while the HomePatrol‐II is charging." Nothing about a flashing red led. I amk going to take a guess that there may be a battery problem. Is this assumption correct?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Flashing red means charging stopped because of a battery error. You probably have one going bad.

nr2d

Premium Subscriber
The batteries are 3 or 4 years old. they are the originals that came with the scanner. I have new batteries on order.
Thanks for the comments.

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
If you use it alot on battery... More than likely due for a new set...
Should be fine with new batt's...

scannerboy02

Premium Subscriber
I had this same thing happen to my HP-II today. I bought the radio two weeks ago, I hope the batteries haven't gone bad already.

MStep

I had this same thing happen to my HP-II today. I bought the radio two weeks ago, I hope the batteries haven't gone bad already.

I have found that the HP series does quite a draw on batteries. If you use non-rechargeable, you might consider using rechargeable, (although I would not recommend doing the actual recharging in the radio--- just keep swapping out sets). And if using it at home or in the car a lot, get the proper AC & DC adapters.

With my HP1, all I can get is about 2-3 days of operation on a set of regular batteries, with the radio going about 20 hours a day here in NYC.

scannerboy02

Premium Subscriber
I have found that the HP series does quite a draw on batteries. If you use non-rechargeable, you might consider using rechargeable, (although I would not recommend doing the actual recharging in the radio--- just keep swapping out sets). And if using it at home or in the car a lot, get the proper AC & DC adapters.

With my HP1, all I can get is about 2-3 days of operation on a set of regular batteries, with the radio going about 20 hours a day here in NYC.
I am (was?) currently using the rechargeable batteries that came with the radio, being that I have only had it a shot time.

2-3 days? I was only getting 8-10 hours with the rechargeables, and that is a typical run time (+/- a few hours) for other scanners I have. This is my 15th Uniden scanner, so I have some experience with this.

I'm guessing I got old batteries in the box. I also know the batteries in the box aren't exactly the best batteries but I would have expected them to last longer than two weeks. I'll just replace them with some good batteries as I was going to do that anyway.

dispatch235

Premium Subscriber

I have both the HP1, and 2 and have never gotten that kind of play time out of any kind of battery, alkaline or rechargeable...a fresh set of Eneloops fresh out of the external charger get maybe 8 hours with the auto-dim turned on and the display set low...

MStep

It's possible that your battery life is diminished by the number of systems you have programmed into you HP, multipied by the number of hits you get per day. As they say, YMMV.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
No. Even if the antenna is unplugged and you have the screen turned down all the way, you're not getting 3 days of battery life.

Status
Not open for further replies.