How long before Waterloo Region goes Encrypted?

Status
Not open for further replies.

motomeso

Premium Subscriber
I know that there have been rumours about WRPD going encrypted and for a while I was skeptical but now I am beginning to wonder and this is the reason why.

A few years ago I ran a stream from ve3nsv.no-ip.org for the Waterloo Region Edacs system. This stream was password protected and users had to email me with their info to get a username and password. This stream was not public and was spread by word of mouth through the scanning and Amateur radio community here locally.

This stream was around for a few years until a new player emerged streaming the same content from a public website. I had no reason to continue with my service now that this unrestricted stream had came online. Now this service has become so popular it is usually near the top of the Top 50 RR Feeds and is even being feature on Community websites like this one dedicated to the City of Cambridge. Heck with Lindsay's new webplayer people can automatically embed the stream right on their website now. No need to install additional software or even click play for that matter.

I say enjoy it while it lasts because I feel they will no choice to go with encryption with the service now popping up on public websites. Especially with concerns over the privacy act with that many people listening at any given time.

IdleMonitor

Premium Subscriber
I would suspect though that the City of Cambridge would've had to contact the regional police to see if they would even allow them to put that on there website.

It sounds like they may very well be open about there ways down there.

I know that there have been rumours about WRPD going encrypted and for a while I was skeptical but now I am beginning to wonder and this is the reason why.

A few years ago I ran a stream from ve3nsv.no-ip.org for the Waterloo Region Edacs system. This stream was password protected and users had to email me with their info to get a username and password. This stream was not public and was spread by word of mouth through the scanning and Amateur radio community here locally.

This stream was around for a few years until a new player emerged streaming the same content from a public website. I had no reason to continue with my service now that this unrestricted stream had came online. Now this service has become so popular it is usually near the top of the Top 50 RR Feeds and is even being feature on Community websites like this one dedicated to the City of Cambridge. Heck with Lindsay's new webplayer people can automatically embed the stream right on their website now. No need to install additional software or even click play for that matter.

I say enjoy it while it lasts because I feel they will no choice to go with encryption with the service now popping up on public websites. Especially with concerns over the privacy act with that many people listening at any given time.

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
Nevermind Waterloo - how long until everything goes encrypted?

I'm not blaming any of the streamers, however I'm more than sure that's a big reason behind going encrypted for a lot of departments. Once Toronto/Peel/York switch, they're done.

motomeso

Premium Subscriber
Toronto doesn't make the top 50 but Waterloo Region is in second place all day.

top50.gif

IdleMonitor

Premium Subscriber
York Region is also up there quite often as well to.

top50.gif

I think people are afraid to listen to a Toronto feed let alone have one online. With all the paranoia they have there.

TFS is online, they need to put TPS on there too then maybe it would take away from the Waterloo feed then lol.

We already know TPS is eventually gonna hide all there comms anyways, may as well let the rest of us listen in now while we have the chance.

JPM-ARG

I've seen others on this site mention that Waterloo just finished an upgrade (which was why they had two control channels for a while). I've also seen in the news that while they haven't cut their budget, they've rather ruthlessly cut the growth out of their budget and had to reallocate officers from less important duties to keep an effective force on the road.

Given those two things, I'd bet 5-10 years before they go encrypted.

Lexxx

I don't think the Waterloo feed does well on the top 50 list you posted because there is anything special about Waterloo.

It's obviously a much smaller police force, and there's probably far less "action" to be heard than say Detroit, Toronto or Los Angeles. I think it is popular because of the clarity of the feed. It is extremely easy to follow both sides of the conversation.

If you can't hear things clearly, you are left frustrated, wondering what happened, or what was said in response to an interesting question. I wouldn't be surprised to learn most of the listeners don't even know where Waterloo is. Listeners just want to hear police at work, and the ability to "follow along" as much as a scanner will allow.

hitman1303

I hope they dont go encrypted, my local force went digital encrypted and it sucks lol NRPS. Is there anyway to bust through encrypted radio. I am just curious thats all?

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
No way to bust through encryption.

Maybe the people in Waterloo (tri-city) are just cheap (good savers) and don't buy a scanner.
They can hear it all online why buy a scanner.

Whereas in Toronto so much going on that you need your own to follow your local area/preferences.

Just my thoughts.

69stiles

Orrr you could "politely" ask Mr Lexxx to "SHUTTERDOWN".
Then of course someone else will probably start doing it.
As far as budgets go, I think very little funds would actually come out of the WRPS budget to go encrypted.

mciupa

Database Admin
With the rewards that RadioReference gives for high volume Live Audio listenership, I'd keep it running. :cool:

69stiles

Why? Because encryption means the end to scanning of something that I enjoy listening to as I'm sure it is for you. Maybe these feeds can be run for many years & maybe they have nothing to do with an agency deciding to go encrypted. But what if it does contribute to that decision? There's no way for them to know who's listening to a scanner but they know how many are using these feeds. I'd like scanning to be around for many years to come. I would not want to have any hand in it's demise. That's my opinion.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Why? Because encryption means the end to scanning of something that I enjoy listening to as I'm sure it is for you. Maybe these feeds can be run for many years & maybe they have nothing to do with an agency deciding to go encrypted. But what if it does contribute to that decision? There's no way for them to know who's listening to a scanner but they know how many are using these feeds. I'd like scanning to be around for many years to come. I would not want to have any hand in it's demise. That's my opinion.

Come on 69Stiles: While maybe WRPD officers check out this and other forums one guy running a stream is not going to do anything to determine whether or not they encrypt. The Police force and municpal governments are like an onion, there are many many layers.

The new communication technology today being flogged is for P25 in the clear at best or Encryption in the worst case. It is life and what can you do?

BTW- Ever since I have been following these forums (close to 10 years now) pretty much each and every municipality around here was supposed to switch to an unscannable format. To date none have.

69stiles

Most listeners of WRP are local anyway & analog trunk scanners are very reasonably priced these days. Get yourself a $100 pro-95 & learn some basic programming skills. Like the first post states, "enjoy it while it lasts" because when it's gone it's gone & they do go.

JR45

Provice Digital Testing was happening last week.

Sorry encryption is on the way .No municipality in 2010 is going to spend 7 to 8 million $ on a new upgraded system without encryption for their police

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.