How long do the AA batteries last in a BCD436HP ! AND...

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
I've also bought battery from Thomas Distributing in the past, didn't know they are no longer in business.

NiMHs thrive on constant usage.
They're like muscles, if you don't use them they can become weak and seem to lose their ability to take a full charge.
Just close the popup to read...

rbluesky

Checked my notes when I did this evaluation a while back with my BCD436HP:

Using Powerex Pro 27000mAh AA cells under the following conditions:

Vol = 6
Battery Save = on
Display (squelch mode) = dimmest setting
Keyboard light = off
Held on P25 very active system

Battery life = 12 hours, 3 mins.

Vol = 6
Battery save = off
Display/keyboard = high (infinite setting)
Held on P25 very active system

Battery life = 10 hours, 19 mins.
Excellent ! I'll use those settings

rbluesky

Hello Can you use Japanese Ni-cad batteries in the BCD-436HP I was told by an Electronic Engineer said that the
Japanese Ni--cads are the best batteries made and will last for years IF there recharged properly !!!
Those Chinese NI-Mah battereis are ALL fake crap and wont last a year AND can damage your radio !
BY fake the MA ratings that they claim higher numbers than they actually are THEY lie to you !

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
IF there recharged properly !!!
NiCd batterys suffer from Memory Effect...
Meaning they need to be fully discharged before charging...

Example--- A 2000mah battery...
If you discharge them by 50% and then charge them back up to 100% continually you will lose 50% of the batterys capacity over time...
The 2000mah battery thinks it's a 1000mah battery then... Memory Effect... Very common issue with NiCd battery's if not fully discharged before charging...

Also, I have NiMh batterys that are well over 3 years old and still going strong with only about a 10% capacity loss due to age and the amount of charge cycles....

palmerjrusa

Hello Can you use Japanese Ni-cad batteries in the BCD-436HP I was told by an Electronic Engineer said that the
Japanese Ni--cads are the best batteries made and will last for years IF there recharged properly !!!
Those Chinese NI-Mah battereis are ALL fake crap and wont last a year AND can damage your radio !
BY fake the MA ratings that they claim higher numbers than they actually are THEY lie to you !

Yes you can use AA NiCads, but they are an older chemistry and don't have the same energy density as NiMHs.

Though NiCads still have niche uses.
I'd have to check, but I think NiCads have a higher power density than NiMHs.

Yep, Japanese-made Eneloops/Powerex NiMHs are the gold standard.

palmerjrusa

NiCd batterys suffer from Memory Effect...
Meaning they need to be fully discharged before charging...

Example--- A 2000mah battery...
If you discharge them by 50% and then charge them back up to 100% continually you will lose 50% of the batterys capacity over time...
The 2000mah battery thinks it's a 1000mah battery then... Memory Effect... Very common issue with NiCd battery's if not fully discharged before charging...

Also, I have NiMh batterys that are well over 3 years old and still going strong with only about a 10% capacity loss due to age and the amount of charge cycles....

I've Eneloop AAs that are over 10 years old and still have a decent capacity (around 70% of their rated mAh).

lx2005

BG5BYZ
The same opinion. I always use Panasonic Ni-MHs in all my radios. I live in China though, so I totally understand how bad these cheap batteries are. However, Panasonic ones work well even if they are made in China here. (Many fake Panasonics here.)

donc13

Premium Subscriber
"can" you use nicads, sure... Should you used Nicads, nope... Poor life and memory effect. Nimh's are much better in both areas. Buy Panasonic or Enerloops.... Either works well.

hunterca

SDS100, BCD325P2
Premium Subscriber
I use lithium rechargeable batteries in my scanner, they last longer. I have not timed them but I know they last longer than NIMH. These need a lithium special charger. The only con about them is it always shows constant voltage.

hunterca

SDS100, BCD325P2
Premium Subscriber
The same opinion. I always use Panasonic Ni-MHs in all my radios. I live in China though, so I totally understand how bad these cheap batteries are. However, Panasonic ones work well even if they are made in China here. (Many fake Panasonics here.)
Panasonic aka Lada and endloop Batteries. Just make sure they say made in Japan. The parent company for panasonic is Matshuita of Japan.

hunterca

SDS100, BCD325P2
Premium Subscriber
I use lithium rechargeable batteries in my scanner, they last longer. I have not timed them but I know they last longer than NIMH. These need a lithium special charger. The only con about them is it always shows constant voltage.
of 1.5 volts each.

StoliRaz

🇺🇲
Premium Subscriber
Panasonic aka Lada and endloop Batteries. Just make sure they say made in Japan. The parent company for panasonic is Matshuita of Japan.
They own Fujitsu as well. All come from FDK Japan, which is also has it's own branded batteries

The charger pictured here looks exactly like one of my old Sanyo Eneloop chargers, just badged Fujitsu instead

I've never seen Fujitsu or DMK branded batteries, so I'm guessing those are marketed outside of N America.

Edit: Amazon sells them, of course:

Fujitsu HR-3UTHCEX(4B) 4-Pack AA High Capacity Ni-MH Pre-Charged Rechargeable Batteries (Made in Japan) https://a.co/d/36RJJ1B

Looks to be the same as the 4 pack Ikea LADDA by capacity (2450) but costs 5 bucks more. LADDA remains budget champion.

Last edited: