How long do your batteries last in Pro 96

Status
Not open for further replies.

aaronp

I was wondering how much life other people were getting from their nimh batteries.
When I first got my Pro 96, I got two sets of Energizer 2500 mAh batteries.
I would keep a set in the charger, and swap them out when they ran down.
They lasted a couple of months past a year.
I replaced them with a new set of Energizer 2500's and the replacements lasted just under a year. Since I didn't have a set to swap with, I just used the onboard charger overnight.
My replacement battery door appreciated the lack of swapping and has lasted longer than the original.
I've now replaced the Energizers with a set of Duracell 2650's I found at WalMart.

Is a year about the length of time I should expect a set of batteries to last?

I use my scanner EVERY day.

n0lqt

Battery Life in Pro-96

At a moderate volume level and no backlight using Radio Shack NiMh batteries, I get about 15 to 18 hours continous use. If I am using the PC/IF for 9600 baud P-25 data dump, I get about 10 to 12 hours. With regular akaline batteries under the same conditions, I get about 20 hours. The backlight shortens that considerably...n0lqt._.

wmbio

AaronP,

I used the 2500MH Energizers also and they did not last me 4 months and they started to go dead or would not charge. I wrote to the factory and they sent me a refund. Well I took the refund and went and purchased another set of 2500MH NiMH Energizers and only got 8 months out of them. I will be buying another brand when I replace this set of batteries.

Oh by the way, on a good charge I can get about 14 hours life out of them in my Pro-96, but I will upgrade to a higher MH NIMH battery.

Enjoy,
Wmbio

DewAddict

I used Energizers at first but as they started to take less and less of a charge I went to Rayovac 2500's and get about 15hrs of usage on an all digital/no backlight situation. The Energizers gave me about 12 hrs usage when they were new and lasted almost 2 years of regular usage. I was swapping back and forth between two sets to give them equal use.

I am using a Rayovac Nickel-Metal 3 hour quick charger to charge the new batteries. I always date my batteries as well so I can remember when I bought which cells since I have 3 sets to switch between. I paid only $15 for four Rayovac plus charger at Walmart. Not bad and great operating time.

Rob

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
There have been some articles printed on the CARMA group-from Chicago about the 2500 Energizers, those with a black wrapper around the "pos" tab are fine and made in China, those with a blue-green tab are made in Japan and fail early...I have had both and this is true, now im using from Walmart-Duracell 2750 mah and there great.....Just my thoughts

DiGiTaLD

Energizer 2500 mAh

RoninJoliet said:
There have been some articles printed on the CARMA group-from Chicago about the 2500 Energizers, those with a black wrapper around the "pos" tab are fine and made in China, those with a blue-green tab are made in Japan and fail early...I have had both and this is true, now im using from Walmart-Duracell 2750 mah and there great.....Just my thoughts
I have a bunch of them with the blue-green wrapper that have failed earlier than they probably should have. I'm running two sets of them right now for my PRO-96 (I run one set flat, put in a charged set, and charge the flat set in an external charger) - so far so good. We'll see how long they hold up.

I'll have to try the black wrapped ones next time.

KR4BD

At the Dayton Hamvention in May, I found a vendor who was selling 2900 mah AA NIMH batteries for $20/dozen. I never have seen the brand before ("Power2000"----which are Made in China) But I figured I could afford to gamble $20, so I bought a dozen. I am very happy with them as I get about 18 hours on a charge in my Pro-97 and Pro-94. Battery capacity has sure improved in the last decade. I still have some 800 mah AA NIMH batteries (still work!), I bought with my first Pro-94 back in 2000! Batteries are sure getting better all the time! I wish I got the vendor's name so I could buy more of these 2900 mah batteries. It was NOT one of the usually battery guys who set up there each year.

Status
Not open for further replies.