• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

how to check if the system is wide trunking Motorola APCO system

Status
Not open for further replies.

jensonbut

Hey guys I'm new on radio solution please go easy on me.I just learned about the concept of site trunking and wide trunking on APCO system particular on Motorola system. My question is how do I know if my GTR8000(base station) is on wide trunking.

cheers!

kb0uxv

I guess the simple way would be to program a subscriber radio to alert to site trunking, it will do so every few seconds if the site is in site trunking. Be aware that if site preference is not set to always it may jump to an adjacent site if RSSI is ok, since the radio will prefer wide trunking. If you have trouble with the radio roaming to a wide site you could also program radio with the menu option to lock the radio on the site you are checking.

The other way to check your GTR8000 is with net management / PRNM. Open CSS, establish a connection (GTR8000 multi site base radio, enter zone site and radio number) then connect to it, then run status report screen, click the station status tab, it will then show what trunking status, if the station is control, etc.

jensonbut

Thanks for your reply.
What if I can't access via the PRNM, can I try on the serial port of the GTR8000, can I check from there?There is 2 serial port, which one & How does these serial port work?

kb0uxv

I am not sure how to check locally, I have always done it over the network. If memory serves right, there is a check box in the establish connection page for "local connection." I always thought this would be done using the ethernet cable that goes to the site router, but I have never tried it. Maybe the GTR8000 manual, or CSS help, will direct the proper port for local connection. Another option is logs / reports in UEM may show if that base radio is trunking.

Can you open zone watch? If the site is green in zone watch all base radios should be trunking.

norcaljpa

There is no real way to check at the base station level what the site as a whole is doing. The best way to check assuming you don't have access to a NM client (or are at the site with no link to the RNI) would be to connect to the active site controller via CSS and examine the status panel. The status display is also a good way to see the health of a site "at-a-glance", though this is more usefull when dealing with a simulcast cell.

Speaking of, a comparator will also tell you whether it is in wide, site, failsoft etc, but only for that particular channel, not the whole site.

Status
Not open for further replies.