How to get a license and radio quickly

Status
Not open for further replies.

McCarthy84

Thank you all for the last posts, much appreciated.

In general, there will always be the possibility that an alternative form of communication is being shut down, outlawed or whatever.

I think some of you got a wrong idea. I do not expect (or look forward to) a SHTF situation. This is rather a movement away from those big tech companies like Twitter, Facebook, Google / YouTube, just for me and a couple friends who are also feed up by how they have taken over and act now as an extension of government by deciding who is worthy to have a voice, and who not. I deleted my social media accounts, they won't be making any AD revenue on my back ever again. If we all keep doing what we did in the past 10 to 20 years, it can't get any better, that's for sure. I let my money and time do the voting on those monopolies.

Getting a HAM license is mainly a new and developing passion. As I said, I first looked into this 3 years ago. The censorship in todays world is only the reason that finally made me get the books, do the tests, and buy my first equipment.

WB9YBM

How can I get my ham license and a mobile radio relatively quickly? What would be a good QUALITY radio / antenna setup that I can use at home and in my vehicles?

For licensing, check out the web sire for the American Radio Relay League (ARRL). For equipment, see if there's a ham club in your area (ARRL might have a list; if not do an Internet search for your area) and talk to the members (a give-and-take conversation is better than trying to figure out everything on your own).

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Thank you all for the last posts, much appreciated.

In general, there will always be the possibility that an alternative form of communication is being shut down, outlawed or whatever.

I think some of you got a wrong idea. I do not expect (or look forward to) a SHTF situation. This is rather a movement away from those big tech companies like Twitter, Facebook, Google / YouTube, just for me and a couple friends who are also feed up by how they have taken over and act now as an extension of government by deciding who is worthy to have a voice, and who not. I deleted my social media accounts, they won't be making any AD revenue on my back ever again. If we all keep doing what we did in the past 10 to 20 years, it can't get any better, that's for sure. I let my money and time do the voting on those monopolies.

Getting a HAM license is mainly a new and developing passion. As I said, I first looked into this 3 years ago. The censorship in todays world is only the reason that finally made me get the books, do the tests, and buy my first equipment.
I appreciate your comments and I'm glad you appreciate mine regarding not agreeing with ham radio being the solution to your issues. Hats off to your wishes to join the league of ham radio operators. I wish you success.

Just a side note that you might be interested in. Twitter stock is collapsing this morning. Down over 6% in direct response to censoring POTUS. Their future relevance and survival is in question. Of course there is a total news blackout about the fact that POTUS has an account on another platform as of last night. Rest assured though the Twitter accounts of scores of dictators and despots who preach vitriol anti-American hate speech and disseminate misinformation daily are safe and sound and up and running.:LOL:

Again, good luck to you.

McCarthy84

I appreciate your comments and I'm glad you appreciate mine regarding not agreeing with ham radio being the solution to your issues. Hats off to your wishes to join the league of ham radio operators. I wish you success.

Just a side note that you might be interested in. Twitter stock is collapsing this morning. Down over 6% in direct response to censoring POTUS. Their future relevance and survival is in question. Of course there is a total news blackout about the fact that POTUS has an account on another platform as of last night. Rest assured though the Twitter accounts of scores of dictators and despots who preach vitriol anti-American hate speech and disseminate misinformation daily are safe and sound and up and running.:LOL:

Again, good luck to you.

I should have shorted Twitter stock, but my strategy is based on high momentum small cap gappers only. My trades last from a second to a few minutes at best. Yeah, the bias and agenda in big tech is very obvious. Its the biggest threat to our nation and true freedom these days, at least in my book.

Thank you!

McCarthy84

I tried to get that Kenwood THD74A and missed out on the last opportunities by just a week.

Kenwood's audio chip manufacturer had a massive 4 day lasting fire at their plant and there is no other maker, so they discontinued this radio and a bunch of other related products. Its now sold out everywhere, demand was extremely high when customers found out that they will be gone soon.

I'll keep an eye on eBay for now because I really want this handheld. I had great luck with Kenwood products in the past and this little radio gets me excited for now. I need something I can start fiddling with. I watched a few reviews and I will make it work for me. Anything long range will be done with a proper home base and wire antenna in my attic / around the house.

PS: those suggesting cheaper handhelds in order to save me some money may not understand my motivation and why I asked for quality products. When I buy new items online, I generally sort the product list by "Highest price first". I basically never buy cheap products but often the top of the line models. I also prefer US / Germany / Japan made over most other options, and try to avoid anything made in China, for obvious reasons. So by suggesting a solution that saves me some money, I'm rather turned off, so to speak.

Last edited:

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
"Free speech" on someone else's system isn't a reality. Never was, never will be. When someone else owns the infrastructure, they control it. When you sign up for accounts on websites (even this one) you agree to their rules. Doesn't matter what political lean you take.
But, yes, communications infrastructure can be damaged by natural disasters and stupid individuals that believe in lizard people.
This should be a sticky. New hams need to understand that any infrastructure that belongs to someone else, is subject to their rules and wishes. This includes but not limited to repeaters, reflectors/IP networks (e.g. D-Star, DMR, YSF, etc). Repeaters and networks are NOT public property and no one should expect exclusive right to use them as their own.

I personally don't understand the blowback some people have about using PRIVATE property of others. So long as the rules/policies are explained, and one agrees to them by using such system(s) or service(s), than one has no RIGHT to anything that belongs to another. It's really interesting how many who claim they are all about "rights" short circuit when they use something that belongs to someone else, don't pay a dime to use it, then DEMAND they have unfettered access and get all "feely" when they are told to hit the door if they fail to follow the OWNER'S rules.

None the less, if one wants, one can spend their own money, time and resources and put up their own repeater, reflector(s) or site or systems and run it how they wish. That my friends, is FREEDOM. One is FREE to do what they want on THEIR system. When on someone else', than they are subject to the owner's rules. Happy hamming!

McCarthy84

None the less, if one wants, one can spend their own money, time and resources and put up their own repeater, reflector(s) or site or systems and run it how they wish. That my friends, is FREEDOM. One is FREE to do what they want on THEIR system. When on someone else', than they are subject to the owner's rules. Happy hamming!

That's what Parler did, and now they got shut down by Amazon. If you can't see the bigger picture as I have explained in response to the comment that you just replied to (go read it!), you are part of the problem. Or in support of the ongoing single sided censorship. Simple as that.

RFI-EMI-GUY

That's what Parler did, and now they got shut down by Amazon. If you can't see the bigger picture as I have explained in response to the comment that you just replied to (go read it!), you are part of the problem. Or in support of the ongoing single sided censorship. Simple as that.

Parler was buying service from AWS, they existed only because AWS hosted them. As MTS20000des implied, they did not " spend their own money, time and resources and put up their own " servers.

RFI-EMI-GUY

I don't understand why the moderators haven't removed this entire thread. Some guy wanting to get involved in Ham radio because private companies are yanking internet sites of domestic terrorists? Nazi Germany?

Yeah the thread is dead Zed..

McCarthy84

Parler was buying service from AWS, they existed only because AWS hosted them. As MTS20000des implied, they did not " spend their own money, time and resources and put up their own " servers.

I'm have been in the hosting business for 26 years now. If you think you can start your own data center AND you own backbone peering AND your own domain registry from ground up, you have no clue what you are talking about! Its impossible. There will always be a link in the chain that can cut you off!

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
It's not possible to build your own internet from the ground up. Even if you stand up your own server, you still have to rely on other entities for connectivity. And Parler is being blacklisted by all the major players in that department as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.