How To Read Maps..

Status
Not open for further replies.

wrr20891

Ignore them, Brian.

Those are grid locator squares. Hams use them to identify their location. There in Paragould, you'd be in Grid Square EM46XX. I can't figure the last 2 without knowing your exact lat and long. It would only be useful to you if you were a ham and making VHF contacts with other hams.

What you should concentrate on with the maps is the communications paths as indicated by the red lines. The red line starts at one station and ends at another. That shows you the paths being used for communications. While it depicts the ham bands, you can get an idea from the maps to what areas VHF Lo band, High Band and UHF band are open to.

btritch

Ok, I get it now, When the red lines pass over my part of the state....On whatever band, that means that band is open for skip.. Right?
I think I get it now...

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
The color of the lines that join 2 stations indicate the assumed propagation mode. For example, I just looked at the 6m map at 9:05 pm local, and saw a series of red lines between stations in the midwest out toward the west, in 6 and 7 land area. The red lines indicate that the mode is thought to be sporadic E, sometimes also written as Es.

VA3QRM

sporadic E being what? Length or type?, also different line colors mean different type's, right?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sporadic_E_propagation
Without trying to remember the specifics of my Ham study guide from 1992, I differ to Wiki. Crazy stuff happens during these 'events'. Worked 6 meters FM simplex from my home Windsor Ontario, near Detroit Mi to Atlanta Ga from my VX-5R handheld ( 5 watts ) to a gentleman whose antenna was leaning against his shed. Enjoy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.