HP-1 Initial Setup question

Status
Not open for further replies.

t_shuffle

I am sorry you bought a HP-1...

..My suggestion is to find some friends who shoot trap. Load the HP-1 into the trap machine watch them blast it to crap which is what it is.

It must really bother you that so many people like this radio. Coming in here for no other reason than to rain on this guy's parade was just childish, and frankly, sort of weird.

dmg1969

Yes, I saw in other RR posts about having to manually update your favorites. That will be one of the few negatives I have seen so far of this scanner. That an not having a priority channel. Luckily, I didn't go ape **** with my favorite lists.

Folk's are adding to the database everyday.

Every Sunday night those updates get added to the RR up load files and come Monday morning we can re-update the cards in our scanners from that.

Just remember that anything in your area that has been updated will also need to be MANUALLY updated by you for your favorites list. Those will not update at all until you do it.

dmg1969

I took him with a grain of salt. He is entitled to his opinion. However, if he would have kept hijacking my thread with posts about how much he hates the HP-1, I would have not been as nice.

All in all, I am happy with it. Being that this is my first digital scanner, it is taking some getting used to the "tinny" sound of the digital transmissions.

Also, I think I decided on a mounting location in my vehicle. I am going to be using a RAM ball mount with diamond head with the Homepatrol mounting bracket. The base of the RAM mount will be on the front of the shifter console. I did some test fitting on lunch. Being as adjustable as the RAM mount is, I am confident that it will working there and not interfere with either the shifter or the emergency brake. I am attaching a doctored image of a rough mounting location. Forgive my poor attempt at "photoshopping". It would definitely qualify as a Photoshop FAIL. LOL.

It must really bother you that so many people like this radio. Coming in here for no other reason than to rain on this guy's parade was just childish, and frankly, sort of weird.

Attachments

• Copy of Current Setup.jpg
    Copy of Current Setup.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 235

RF23

Premium Subscriber
Yes, I saw in other RR posts about having to manually update your favorites. That will be one of the few negatives I have seen so far of this scanner. That an not having a priority channel. Luckily, I didn't go ape **** with my favorite lists.

I don't think the new Sentinel & x36HP radios update Favorites either. Which is good for me since I make major changes in the wording of the files I pull off of RR and in addition I do not like to have information repeated on my HP-1 so each line displayed has additional information.

Dafe1er

Off in a far away place, far from u.......
Might want to move the HP to a windshield mount. I found that looking down and tweaking the unit while in the vehicle can be a hassle and dangerous. I moved mine to the windshield and never have to look down or away from the road.

As for the troll....I am not even that bad. I have issues with the HP but like dmg it is/was my first digital scanner and it does work for other things besides P25. I wish Uniden would have continued with this concept but they are now on to other platforms.

Enjoy the HP!

dmg1969

I not crazy about the idea of a windshield mount. I have had bad experiences with driving down the road and having my GPS mount fall off of the windshield...especially when it's hot.

I'm going to have to play around with mounting position ideas while sitting in the vehicle this weekend. I am also thinking about this idea. Looking at the photo below, the dashboard has a recessed area in the middle above the climate control and radio stack. I may mount the RAM mount there and position it so that the bottom of the mounting bracket for the HP-1 rests on the trim at the top of the climate control and radio stack like in the second pic. It may be my best option for optimal viewing.

Might want to move the HP to a windshield mount. I found that looking down and tweaking the unit while in the vehicle can be a hassle and dangerous. I moved mine to the windshield and never have to look down or away from the road.

As for the troll....I am not even that bad. I have issues with the HP but like dmg it is/was my first digital scanner and it does work for other things besides P25. I wish Uniden would have continued with this concept but they are now on to other platforms.

Enjoy the HP!

Attachments

• hyundai_tucson_manu_int_06_01.jpg
    hyundai_tucson_manu_int_06_01.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 217
  • Copy of hyundai_tucson_manu_int_06_01.jpg
    Copy of hyundai_tucson_manu_int_06_01.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 219

Dafe1er

Off in a far away place, far from u.......
I use RAM mounts and while they are nice they do give a little "play" while driving. For the windshield mount I had to make sure the bottom of the unit was resting on my dash so while driving the HP was not free bouncing up, down and side to side. It is a heavy unit. Other than that issue, the mount never came off the windshield. Even in 100+ temps. My radar detector kept falling down during that heat spell but not the RAM mount.

The center location looks good, just make sure it is not in the way of any airbags from the front as if you have an accident you do not want to be hit in the face by the unit and airbag.

phask

Premium Subscriber
I not crazy about the idea of a windshield mount. I have hadontrol and radio stack like in the second pic. It may be my best option for optimal viewing.

There might be one of those Proclip, Panda etc. or whatever custom brackets that go behind the dash bezel. Using one with a Ram for a gps or sometimes the HP1. Normally have the HP1 similar to your with a slight sideways twist.

dmg1969

Yeah, I saw one of those custom clips that was made for my vehicle, but I didn't care for it. It would have blocked both center HVAC vents.

I just ordered a 6' coax patch cable to be able to reach the area I decided on in my previous post. I think it will be the most ideal. I just have to decide on the most visually appealing solution for running the power and coax to the HP-1. I considered drilling a hole (probably need 3/4" to allow the BNC connector through) and feeding the power and antenna behind the dash. If I do that, I'll have to remove the trim around the radio and climate controls so I can make sure I wouldn't be hitting anything with the drill bit. Then, if I remove the radio or get rid of the vehicle, simply use a rubber plug. Still deciding on that.

There might be one of those Proclip, Panda etc. or whatever custom brackets that go behind the dash bezel. Using one with a Ram for a gps or sometimes the HP1. Normally have the HP1 similar to your with a slight sideways twist.

phask

Premium Subscriber
I've replaced BNC with no issue. Radio Shack even sells one 90 degree and a center screw connector. I've used those and soldered the leads. Also keep one in the vehicle and have "field installed" when a lead broke using a multitool and pen knife.

dmg1969

Here is a quick mock-up of how I plan to mount it. I am waiting on the proper SMA to BNC adapter and 6' BNC patch cable. I hope to have those by the weekend. I should have the adapter, but may not get the patch cable.
egu2y8eh.jpg
u4y3uhyj.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.