HP-1 Multiple Avoid Selections

Status
Not open for further replies.

captaincraig44

Premium Subscriber
Any way in either Sentinel or ARC Patrol to select avoid on multiple sites for a trunked system. I'm in CO and trying to select just a few sites to force the HP-1 from the more than 100 sites is tedious, especially when you want to do it for multiple favorite lists. Even if there was a "Aviod all" selection, then it could select that and then unavoid the few sites I wanted.
Am I missing something obvious here?

rwier

Any way in either Sentinel or ARC Patrol to select avoid on multiple sites for a trunked system. I'm in CO and trying to select just a few sites to force the HP-1 from the more than 100 sites is tedious, especially when you want to do it for multiple favorite lists. Even if there was a "Aviod all" selection, then it could select that and then unavoid the few sites I wanted.

In Sentinel, I change, or select one cell, that is in the "mode" I desire, highlight, copy, and paste to multiple cells (like in excel).

Of course, the most important step is to click on the gold star with the little pencil, to get into the Sentinel "Editor".

OCO

On the trunked systems that are in my home area, I build a favorite with the entire system and then just delete the non-local towers (You can use the windows "shift multiple select" to delete many at the same time.. I don't bother with deleting any of the talk groups, location takes care of most of those except for transients that may wander through the area, whic is usually not problem..

rwier

On the trunked systems that are in my home area, I build a favorite with the entire system and then just delete the non-local towers (You can use the windows "shift multiple select" to delete many at the same time.. I don't bother with deleting any of the talk groups, location takes care of most of those except for transients that may wander through the area, whic is usually not problem..

Oops, I see I didn't read the question well enough, lol. 10-22 my response.

captaincraig44

Premium Subscriber

Are you able to delete multiple sites at a time? I can't even delete a whole site (left side) I have to delete all the freqs for each site.

rwier

Let me try again. I use a similar method to the response of OCO. I am in Maricopa Co, AZ.
Maricopa County , Arizona, as of April 1, 2010, has a population estimated at 3,817,117, which ranks fourth among the nation's counties and is greater than the population of 23 states. Maricopa County also has a land area greater than that of seven states. It is also the largest county in the United States to contain a capital city.

The RWC, P-25, Simulcast, Multisite (20+ sites) System, covers multiple Cities, and Departments, for the entire County, and some outside in adjacent Counties.

I have about a dozen different FavLists all for scanning different areas of the County. These were created based upon location. Most have been trimmed down to a single "Site", that has shown (via HP-1 E) to be the best choice for each given area.

Mostly, I just sit on one FavList, even if I travel up to 5-10 miles from home. But if I get into an adjacent portion of the County, I just switch the active FavList to the one associated with the new area.

The Site deletions only had to be done once. I don't remember it as being a hassle, more like high excitement due to finding a solution to a big mess, lol.

Thanks,
Rob

captaincraig44

Premium Subscriber
Thanks guys. I figured out how to delete the sites, but I still have to do them one by one. Is there a way to add back a site if I delete it from a favorites list? It seems like I almost have to start over and delete them all again.

rwier

Are you able to delete multiple sites at a time? I can't even delete a whole site (left side) I have to delete all the freqs for each site.

In Sentinel
In the FavList Editor (see previous)
Select FavList to Edit
Select TRS (right pane should show Departments, Sites, Unit IDs, Options as TABS)
Select TAB "Sites"
Highlight unwanted "Sites"
Click the "RED X"
Shazam!

rwier

........................... Is there a way to add back a site if I delete it from a favorites list? It seems like I almost have to start over and delete them all again.

I'm not coming up with a positive answer on this one (sentinel). I'll spend a few hours trying to find a "work around", lol.

rwier

Found a BULKY work around:

Create new DUMMY FavList
Append entire applicable TRS to the Dummy
Go into the FavList Editor
Select the DUMMY
Get to the "Sites" screen (previous post)
Highlight the "Sites" you want to put back into another FaveList
Copy

Save (for future use)
EXIT

Now

Go into the FavList Editor
Select the TRS that needs the copied "Sites"
Get to the "Sites" screen (previous post)
Click on the BIG GREEN + (top left of the "Sites" screen)
Right Click on the new "un-named" Site
Paste
Shazam

Save

Use the DUMMY over and over to replace lost Sites in this TRS.
Different TRS needs similar work?
Append entire second TRS into the DUMMY
Repeat above for all TRSs that need "tweeking"
The DUMMY will become your friend, lol

Thanks,
Rob

OCO

Well, the TRS's that I use all list the sites at the end, after the TG's.. If I edit a Favorite (as stated, you use the right pane, not the left) all I have to do is highlight the ones I want to delete and then....delete. If you try to do it in the left (Let's call it the Explorer) pane, you can't do it.....

trunker

You don't need to avoid them. The scanner will disable sites based on location. (I'm assuming you are talking about the DTRS system). If I set Arvada as my location with a scan range of 30 miles, I get 55 sites enabled in the scanner. True, the range setting of 50 miles on some of those sites still makes the list impractical but all other sites are disabled.

If you don't like the sites you are receiving, change the range for those sites (in Sentinel with edit favorites list). Of course having an exact location (vs. city or zip code) will also help.

If you want to use the system in multiple scan lists, fix the range settings in one system first, then append it (in Sentinel-right click, append in main view) to the other lists.

If you still want to use avoid to fix things, in Sentinel expand the list and click the system so you can see the sites in the right pane. Select the first site, hold 'shift' down and click the last site to select all in between. Right click and 'Set Avoid'. Hold 'ctrl' down and select the sites you want unavoid. Right click and 'Clear Avoid'.

Last edited:

captaincraig44

Premium Subscriber
Thanks, trunker. I"m trying to trim down the number of sites for each favorite list because it seems like the HP-1 will scan through every single frequency on every single site for the first pass and it will sit on the DTRS system for a very long period of time. Is it possible to only include control channels for each site? I assume the HP-1 would be able to use just the CC's much like the 396 and GRE-500 can do and still follow the conversation?
I'm enjoying the radio, I just think Uniden didn't do a real good job at all with documentation for the HP-1 or Sentinel. I've got lots of questions I'm working through as I have time, or by asking questions on here. Thank for the advice and input!

edit: Just made a test favorite list with just the CC and it works. So, is there a way to import just the CC for each site from the database, or would I have to manually edit each site?

Also, I did notice that sometimes it will show an avoided site as being used because it has the same CC freq as the actual site it is using, so I'm not 100% sure it is avoiding sites, even though they are red in the site list on the radio. These sites it says it's using are well beyond the 30 mile range.

Last edited:

trunker

....it seems like the HP-1 will scan through every single frequency on every single site for the first pass and it will sit on the DTRS system for a very long period of time. Is it possible to only include control channels for each site? I assume the HP-1 would be able to use just the CC's much like the 396 and GRE-500 can do and still follow the conversation?...

Here in Michigan I have the same problem with the statewide system. What I did was program each site as a separate system so I could see how long it was taking to scan every site and it was much faster. I'm pretty sure the HP uses control channel only scanning by default.

...I'm enjoying the radio, I just think Uniden didn't do a real good job at all with documentation for the HP-1 or Sentinel...

That is a very polite understatement. I'm working on an easier to read manual for the scanner due out in about 2 weeks.

...edit: Just made a test favorite list with just the CC and it works. So, is there a way to import just the CC for each site from the database, or would I have to manually edit each site?...

The few extra voice channels shouldn't make any difference. It doesn't with my system.

...I did notice that sometimes it will show an avoided site as being used because it has the same CC freq as the actual site it is using, so I'm not 100% sure it is avoiding sites, even though they are red in the site list on the radio. These sites it says it's using are well beyond the 30 mile range...

Same with my system. As long as it takes to scan the system, it makes me wonder if the scanner really is scanning all the sites.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Mine does a very good job at auto disabling the sites not near me based on the location data. It works very well actually.

Perhaps the location data in the RR database for the Colorado DTRS is not set correctly or maybe something in your HP1 is not set correctly. It should auto disable the sites determined to be out of range. I can still see the disabled out of range sites on mine but I cannot select and enable them unless I first change my range to a more distant setting or turn off location control.

trunker

Mine does a very good job at auto disabling the sites not near me based on the location data. It works very well actually.

Perhaps the location data in the RR database for the Colorado DTRS is not set correctly or maybe something in your HP1 is not set correctly. It should auto disable the sites determined to be out of range. I can still see the disabled out of range sites on mine but I cannot select and enable them unless I first change my range to a more distant setting or turn off location control.

You are correct about location control. But the fact that sites still show as red (in site information) with location control set to off leads one to believe they aren't being scanned. Red should mean disabled. I always just programmed my sites so I never noticed this until now.

And BTW, you have to turn location control on for each scan list, it's off by default.

Last edited:

captaincraig44

Premium Subscriber
Awesome! I'd be interested in taking a look at your work if you'd be willing, Trunker. I'm figuring out things about this radio as I have time to play around with it (which seems to be a rare commodity anymore for me).

The color logic should be explained. As far as I can tell, red sites are ones that the radio has (supposedly) avoided due to distance from your location. Orange appear to be user avoided sites. I'd prefer some colors with a little more differentiation between them. Sometimes when looking at the screen from slightly above, I can't tell the difference between orange and red.

Status
Not open for further replies.