HP1 GPS Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

10-10

I have had the HP1 for about a week now and I must say I'm not too impressed with the GPS function. My biggest complaint is when using the GPS (which yes is connected just fine - green light and all at 4800) you lose the ability to adjust your range. The scanner seems to scan way too wide an area that I can see as I watch it scan throught the channels. As well without the GPS and just using my zip code and a range setting of just .5 miles or even 0 it still attempts to pickup channels much too far away. Almost as if the range setting doesn't do anything at all. I travel with this scanner from Newark NJ out to Warren County NJ and I can see as I travel my route the scanner is attempting channels way beyond its reach and that's with the stubby antenna attached. I can't imagine the irrelavent audio I would pickup if I used an external antenna on this thing. It would be nice to put in a 1mile range and pick up just the local channels around me.
Anyone else seeing this type of result?

phask

Premium Subscriber
Range is at zero with GPS, what you see are all the stupid RR entries as to range.

Some states have ranges of several hundred miles - that is the issue.

Do some searches, it's been discussed many times.

If you do the same trip repeatedly - use a favorite and no GPS.

All I find the GPS helpful for is unknown areas that I do no research ahead of time.

captaincraig44

Premium Subscriber
You can edit the ranges for towers and agencies, departments, etc in Sentinel. Kind of a pain, but it would allow you to trim it down some.

10-10

Interesting. I wasn't aware that the Sentinel software was capable of doing that. I'll have to take a closer look.

Thanks.

10-10

Captaincraig,

I don't see in the software where it has the option to adjust range for the individual departments or agencies. I see where you can change the range in the profile, but that is no different than selecting range from the main screen.

jkahn

Very good looking Member
Premium Subscriber
You can edit the ranges for towers and agencies, departments, etc in Sentinel. Kind of a pain, but it would allow you to trim it down some.

When I travel, I also limit the services I want to listen to, like police, fire and ems, and uncheck transportation, business, aircraft, etc. I forgot to do this on my last trip and had to keep locking out taxis and towtrucks until I stopped and unchecked businesses. Very risky having to avoid multiple channels at 60 mph!

On one trip, I found myself traveling up the I-95 NE corridor so I left railroads active, (the highway parallels the tracks a good bit) and got some interesting chatter there, when PDs were not real active.

My problem with the GPS is getting it to recognize when I first plug it in. Sometimes it takes two or three tries.

I think you will enjoy the HP-1 more as you get to learn the many extra functions it has. I love mine! :)

Intmd8r

Be careful pluging in the GPS my HP1 was about 3 weeks old and only had the GPS pluged in a handful of times and the GPS plug pulled out.Place where I got it said their warrenty was only 2 weeks so had to go to Uniden. They seem to be kinda of slow for a radio that is only 3 weeks old. so just venting a little.Good Luck with yours.I was loving mine till that happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.